The Student Room Group

Keele Medicine Applicants for 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by ashcariba17
Thank you :smile: Did you sort of go through GCSE science notes as well? I was thinking Imperial, Bristol, Leeds and one from Queen Mary (London), Keele and Leicester. What do you think about my choices?

Based on your stats above those are good choices. For your 4th I'd recommend Leicester. The 6 GCSEs that they look at means that you would get a maximum score for that which is great. Good luck :smile:
Hey everyone, I've got a deferred unconditional offer for 2015, so if you guys need any help, feel free to PM me or quote. Good luck everyone!
I don't think I can attend the open day tomorrow as I appear to have misplaced my train tickets xD

Can anyone who is going PM me a little about admissions and their thoughts on the course please? (I'd really appreciate it :smile: )

I'm definitely going to apply to Keele as the course and their facilities look brilliant, I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance! Thanks
:s-smilie:Also, I'm just wondering if I have any chance of getting one of the "academic" interviews?

I got 9A*2A at GCSE, all A's at AS and a 760 UKCAT...but my a levels are only at their minimum requirement of A*AB as I got A*ABB.

edit: after some research I now know I have no chance! It's annoying as based on my achievement before A2 I would have got one, but the pesky illness I had during A2 curtailed any chance of that :tongue: anyway, I'm just happy that I have the opportunity to apply to such a progressive med school so I can't complain! I found the scoring document for last year, apparently the cutoff was 40 for an academic interview last year! http://www.keele.ac.uk/media/keeleuniversity/fachealth/fachealthmed/pdfs/Admissions%20Academic%20Scoring%202013%20Explanation%20for%20web%20Final.pdf
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dr. Django
:s-smilie:Also, I'm just wondering if I have any chance of getting one of the "academic" interviews?

I got 9A*2A at GCSE, all A's at AS and a 760 UKCAT...but my a levels are only at their minimum requirement of A*AB as I got A*ABB.

edit: after some research I now know I have no chance! It's annoying as based on my achievement before A2 I would have got one, but the pesky illness I had during A2 curtailed any chance of that :tongue: anyway, I'm just happy that I have the opportunity to apply to such a progressive med school so I can't complain! I found the scoring document for last year, apparently the cutoff was 40 for an academic interview last year! http://www.keele.ac.uk/media/keeleuniversity/fachealth/fachealthmed/pdfs/Admissions%20Academic%20Scoring%202013%20Explanation%20for%20web%20Final.pdf

Hmm ill be applying as a school leaver, but the scoring worries me! I have 6A*s 5As 2Bs at gcse and ABBB at AS. Would this meet the minimum academic requirement for ps reading at least do you think? Using last years scoring thats 32/40.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys,

I really want to apply but I'm not sure if I stand a competitive chance?

My stats are:
GCSE: 8A*s 2As
AS: AABBB
Predicted A*A*AA
UKCAT: 632.5

Do you reckon I could make the cut this year? Also any other suggestions as to where I could apply?

Many thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by starsdelight
Hey guys,

My stats are:
Predicted A*A*AA

Do you reckon I could make the cut this year? Also any other suggestions as to where I could apply?

Why wouldn't you stand a chance :smile:

Original post by WesterosWildling
Hmm ill be applying as a school leaver, but the scoring worries me! I have 6A*s 5As 2Bs at gcse and ABBB at AS. Would this meet the minimum academic requirement for ps reading at least do you think? Using last years scoring thats 32/40.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There scoring system is soo rediculous, I mean an A in a 4th AS is worth more than an A at A level. I got AAAA at AS and AA*AA at A2 and according to this I would have been better off droping my 4th AS. It makes absolutely no sense. I rang up the lady at Keele admssions for Medicine and she said that apparently they use no scoring system, which seemed really strange to me.
Original post by futuremedic19
There scoring system is soo rediculous, I mean an A in a 4th AS is worth more than an A at A level. I got AAAA at AS and AA*AA at A2 and according to this I would have been better off droping my 4th AS. It makes absolutely no sense. I rang up the lady at Keele admssions for Medicine and she said that apparently they use no scoring system, which seemed really strange to me.

I think it's only used for the 100 "academic" interviews. The other 400 are just on ps once you've met minimum requirements (as far as I'm aware)
I think it's only used for the 100 "academic" interviews. The other 400 are just on ps once you've met minimum requirements (as far as I'm aware)

Yeah thanks it's just really really silly of them to say AAAa is better than AAAA

Oh right so ill be ok then? Because I feel my ps is fairly strong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by futuremedic19
Yeah thanks it's just really really silly of them to say AAAa is better than AAAA

I know it's so bizarre xD I don't understand it, but I guess the fact that 40 was the cutoff for these spots last year and 40 is the max those without achieved grades kinda evens it out a little

Original post by WesterosWildling
Oh right so ill be ok then? Because I feel my ps is fairly strong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As long as you meet all the academic requirements you should have as much chance as any other applicant (bar the 100 who get interviews just on academics!)

From my understanding, for the other 400 interview spots its pretty much completely on PS!
Am i right in assuming that the majority of interviews will be given out based on the 'Roles and Responsibilty' form and not the PS?
Reply 93
Original post by starsdelight
Hey guys,

My stats are:
Predicted A*A*AA

if you are to apply to your strengths id suggest looking at Cardiff/St George's/Bristol/Leeds(BMAT)/UEA/
Dundee. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by AishaNeuro
Am i right in assuming that the majority of interviews will be given out based on the 'Roles and Responsibilty' form and not the PS?

I know it forms a big part. Im sure they still look at both because you cant include shadowing on that form.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 2018
if you are to apply to your strengths id suggest looking at Cardiff/St George's/Bristol/Leeds(BMAT)/UEA/
Dundee. Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you! So should I not consider Keele then?
Would I be a gd applicant for keele
I have 6a* 3as 1b
4as at as
But 602.5 on ukcat

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by king cobra
Would I be a gd applicant for keele
I have 6a* 3as 1b
4as at as
But 602.5 on ukcat

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, you wouldn't qualify for the Academic top 100. In which you would need 7A*s GCSe and 4A's at AS. But the other 400 interviews are given for PS. So if your PS is good then go for it :smile:
UKCAT is hardly used at all for Keele and your score is more than enough for Keele

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Hi could some one please advice me on whether I should I apply to Keele.

GCSE
maths A
English B
Biology A
Physics A*
Chemistry A*
ICT A*
Welsh A*
Geography A
French A

Alevel predicted grades AAAb (as-BBBC)
UKCAT 617.5 band 2