The Importance of the Dropped Subject on Offers

Watch
username1423899
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm currently in year 12 and am in the process of looking for unis to apply to. My results come out next week which will largely decide my final 5 uni choices for UCAS. However with my AS results i feel i have done well in three however the 4th (maths) was a carcrash. I'm expecting something like 2A's and 1B, and then a E or something similar for maths. This means that next year ill be going into upper sixth with AAB but i want to know if unis will be likely to turn me down due to my dropped AS grade. How important is the result of the dropped AS level in applying for uni? Of course this all relies on what my actual results are but i'd still like to know to influence of the 4th AS on offers. Thanks
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by leemer)
I'm currently in year 12 and am in the process of looking for unis to apply to. My results come out next week which will largely decide my final 5 uni choices for UCAS. However with my AS results i feel i have done well in three however the 4th (maths) was a carcrash. I'm expecting something like 2A's and 1B, and then a E or something similar for maths. This means that next year ill be going into upper sixth with AAB but i want to know if unis will be likely to turn me down due to my dropped AS grade. How important is the result of the dropped AS level in applying for uni? Of course this all relies on what my actual results are but i'd still like to know to influence of the 4th AS on offers. Thanks
It really does depend on the university and the course. You'd be best off checking the websites of the universities you're interested in directly (and if it isn't clear from there emailing them)
username1423899
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
It really does depend on the university and the course. You'd be best off checking the websites of the universities you're interested in directly (and if it isn't clear from there emailing them)
Ok, will do thanks very much
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by leemer)
For most unis / courses, it doesn't really matter too much. Main thing is your A2 subjects which seem to be at a good level for you.

I don't have an AS yet still managed to bag all my offers.
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jkizer)
For most unis / courses, it doesn't really matter too much. Main thing is your A2 subjects which seem to be at a good level for you.

I don't have an AS yet still managed to bag all my offers.
Some admissions tutors will consider 3 good A2s better than 3 good A2s and one poor AS. Only taking 3 subjects at AS can be something the candidate doesn't have full control over, so universities won't discriminate on this basis. However, if you have one poor AS grade, this can look like you didn't put any effort into that subject, which doesn't look great for application purposes.

Ultimately, you can be in direct competition with other candidates for a place/offer, and the ones with AABb or similar will look better than those with AABe. That doesn't mean that OP won't get places/offers, just that they might miss out, particularly for more competitive universities and courses.
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Agreed with the above comments that it shouldn't be much of a problem. The exception, of course, being that if you're aiming for a course with a mathematical/scientific element then they might look a little more harshly on a poor maths AS grade. Otherwise, it shouldn't hurt your application much if the uni doesn't specify that they want you to have an extra AS at a good grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.06%
No - I have already returned home (21)
13.04%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (35)
21.74%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.7%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.47%

Watched Threads