What language do you think in if you are bilingual?

Watch
Poll: What Language I think in.
only english (13)
46.43%
only french (0)
0%
only spanish (0)
0%
only german (0)
0%
only arabic (0)
0%
only one language not listed on here (1)
3.57%
mixture of languages (14)
50%
Mareghand
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
If you speak only english, you think in english.
If you speak only spanish, you think in spanish.

But what if you speak multiple languages. What language do you think in?

** POLL ADDED**
childofthesun
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I can speak French,English and Lebanese,but i think in French as it's my first language. You'd think in your 1st language because it's more natural to you
Mareghand
Rep:
?
(Original post by itsRochana)
I can speak French,English and Lebanese,but i think in French as it's my first language. You'd think in your 1st language because it's more natural to you

I always felt people thought in their dominant language. Like most of the bilinguals I know are kind of 1.5 linguals, they have their main language (from school) and a separate home language in which they can only count to 12.
childofthesun
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mareghand)
I always felt people thought in their dominant language. Like most of the bilinguals I know are kind of 1.5 linguals, they have their main language (from school) and a separate home language in which they can only count to 12.
Ahh,i assumed a First language is one you'd be most fluent in. Yh i agree,dominant language
Mareghand
Rep:
?
Ahh,i assumed a First language is one you'd be most fluent in. Yh i agree,dominant language

I'm pretty much like that, a 1.5 lingual. I would be really interested to here from true bilinguals, say kids who did bilingual education. They would learn maths in primary school in french and in english etc.
MrsMars
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think in English because its my first language. I never think in Urdu.

I have some strange days where I'll try and think and Arabic just so I can check up on how my Arabic is because I don't speak it at all normally
childofthesun
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm pretty much like that, a 1.5 lingual. I would be really interested to here from true bilinguals, say kids who did bilingual education. They would learn maths in primary school in french and in english etc.
I'm in bilingual education,taught in both French and English like the example you used haha,but where i live(Ivory Coast) French is the national language,and i speak it at home. It depends where they live i suppose
username1331498
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have always that about this question, but I never wanted to ask it because it seemed dumb. Thank you!
Mareghand
Rep:
?
I'm in bilingual education,taught in both French and English like the example you used haha,but where i live(Ivory Coast) French is the national language,and i speak it at home. It depends where they live i suppose

What are the chances of that, haha!! How does your system work? Is it science subjects taught in english and humanties taught in french? Or are they running a dual english french system for everything.
p.formanko
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is gonna sound stupid but I think that we all think in a universal language. I speak english and Slovak and a bit of some other languages on the side but I think in a kind of universal language... One of pictures and emotions... (Promise I haven't smoked anything).

Either that or I have a real 50/50 split of both languages
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Bilingual people can, I believe, think in both languages. In my case I can think in English and, to a degree, Esperanto.
coldhell
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I used to think in my first language but I speak English pretty much everyday that I start to think in English and I have been dreaming in English lately. And I start to forget words in my first language and I have to ask my parents :/
ihavemooedtoday
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I also speak 2 languages at the level of native speakers - English and Chinese.

I think in English when I am mostly speaking English (in Canada), and Chinese when I am mostly speaking Chinese (in Taiwan).

It's interesting that my Chinese becomes a lot less natural when I think in English, and vice versa. But it takes my brain a little while to adjust to thinking in another language, so I can't just switch every minute.
xmertic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you speak only english, you think in english.
If you speak only spanish, you think in spanish.

But what if you speak multiple languages. What language do you think in?
I'm learning German, so I try to think in German almost daily to try and improve my language skills
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think in English naturally, but will sometimes make myself think in other languages just to make sure that I still can.
Mareghand
Rep:
?
(Original post by miser)
Bilingual people can, I believe, think in both languages. In my case I can think in English and, to a degree, Esperanto.

They can think in both, but you have a preference. I want to know why you have that preference for one language over the other and how that preference changes.
donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Both tbh. Although the more years I spend in the UK, the more I don't think or even dream in tagalog

Posted from TSR Mobile
cmkable
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What Delenelie said. Have spoken Enlish and Spanish fluently all of my life, and it is generally context dependent. If someone is speaking to you in a particular language, you generally end up thinking in that language as its less effort, though its an unconscious switch most of the time. Likewise with dreams, I have dreams where I talk to people in different languages, depending on what language I would speak to them in real life. My favourite people to speak to are my siblings though. I generally speak to them in Spanish, but being able to insert english words/phrases that have the particular nuance you want when you're talking, without having to stop and think of the equivalent word in spanish is quite restful.
username1277215
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I speak Dutch, Somali and English. It depends on who I am around with. If I am around family I tend to think in Somali or Dutch. If I am around my friends I tend to think in English as we tend to speak in English. So all in all it depends on what language I am speaking at the time.
strawberryfeet
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is it weird that I actually don't know what language I think in?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (22)
27.85%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (8)
10.13%
No I am happy with my choice (45)
56.96%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.06%

Watched Threads