How important are GCSE's when looking for English Secondary teaching jobs? Watch

robowen28
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have 4 B's 4 C's and 2 D'sOne of the D's is in ScienceI have got a degree in English Language and Philosophy and Ethics 2:1 and currently looking at PGCE coursesIf the PGCE course let me on, would I have difficulty in finding a job with my GCSE results?Thanks
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by robowen28)
I have 4 B's 4 C's and 2 D'sOne of the D's is in ScienceI have got a degree in English Language and Philosophy and Ethics 2:1 and currently looking at PGCE coursesIf the PGCE course let me on, would I have difficulty in finding a job with my GCSE results?Thanks
An A* to C grade in science is only a requirement for Primary trainees. Mediocre GCSE grades are not likely to be a deal-breaker if your rest of your application is good. Did you take A Levels?

One word of warning - admission tutors and employers won't like a prospective English teacher misusing apostrophes. It should be GCSEs, As, Bs, Cs ...
robowen28
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I got a D in English, C in Philosophy and Ethics, Double Merit in P.E and Distinction in ICT and an EPQ all at A-Level.

How would these be considered? Would this be a hindrance? Is it all about the degree?
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got a D in English, C in Philosophy and Ethics, Double Merit in P.E and Distinction in ICT and an EPQ all at A-Level.

How would these be considered? Would this be a hindrance? Is it all about the degree?
When you apply for teaching jobs you will be up against people with stronger academic backgrounds but if you are enthusiastic, can deliver a good lesson and have strong references you will stand a decent chance.
Shelly_x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You will need a C in maths and English to get on a pgce course.
Samus2
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Secondary PGCE require at least a C in English and Maths, primary PGCE requires the above as well as at least a C in science. Universities often offer equivalency tests if you don't have those grades.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (220)
23.63%
Pop (231)
24.81%
Jazz (35)
3.76%
Classical (56)
6.02%
Hip-Hop (174)
18.69%