The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mareghand
Let's be real here, the hardest stuff known to mankind at A level is...

M3, M4 and M5

Make that into an A Level and no one can say anything.

Personally I think there are much harder motorways to navigate.

I read it and all it tells me is that this condition hinders language ability. It does not remove a person's ability to communicate. Likewise it implies that not being able to use language naturally is 'extremely frustrating' and so it is actually highlighting the important of language.
Original post by onimusha370
The difficulty of music A level is hugely underestimated. My strongest subject has been music since I was quite young, and despite working hard for A*'s in maths, further maths, and physics, I could only manage an A in music.
In my opinion it's one of the hardest A levels to get an A*, because of the requirement to be skilled in composition, performance, and writing skills/understanding.

This. I'm genuinely surprised that some people are putting Music so low down on their list.
Biology
History, Psychology, Sociology, Music,
Media Studies

Without the human biological body, How will there be a past (history), how will we have brains (psychology) , how will there be a social environment (sociology), how will we have arms to play an instrument (Music), and then there's media studies.

You all must bow down to the very existence of biology.
(edited 9 years ago)
Biology
Psychology
Media studies
Sociology
Music
History
Biology
History
Psychology
Music
Sociology
Media Studies
Reply 86
Perhaps Music is difficult, doesn't stop it being rather useless
https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Trinity College, Cambridge has a 'blacklist' (link above) which gives an idea of how respected some A-levels are.
Biology
History

- POWER GAP -

Music
Psychology
Sociology

- POWER GAP -

Media Studies
Original post by yodawg321
Psychology is very very deep too. I'm guessing deeper than Sociology.
Also Biology is a fundamental subject. I'm not a fan of it but still respect it...​ish.

I don't think pyschology is great, sociology is just out of this world (well not really, cos society is on earth but) dunno, its good stuff

Biology :lol: dire ****

Plants make energy from the sun

So why not tell us the exact metabolic pathway, even at A2 it isn't full done
Reply 90
Original post by Jubz1
Perhaps Music is difficult, doesn't stop it being rather useless

To Cambridge, its on par with Biology
Media studies
Music
Sociology
Psychology
History
Biology

It doesn't take a genius to work that one out.
Reply 92
Original post by Jkizer

One college from one university... :tongue: I think we all know the worth of it isn't.

I cannot see anyone who does Music at whatever level who can help me in anyway whatsoever but someone who does Biology can
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I don't think pyschology is great, sociology is just out of this world (well not really, cos society is on earth but) dunno, its good stuff

Biology :lol: dire ****

Plants make energy from the sun

So why not tell us the exact metabolic pathway, even at A2 it isn't full done

Well at A2 you learn about the light dependent reaction and light independent (Calvin) cycle and the role of water, light, chlorophyll and other photosynthetic pigments including the structure of chloroplasts and how the different structures optimise the rate at which photosynthesis occurs. Also learn about the role of coenzymes but it all gets much trickier and so the rest is learned at uni

Biology A2 is amazing
Biology. Hands down the top one here.
*Languages, Maths/Further Maths would go here.
Music. A lot harder than people think it is.
History.
Psychology.
Sociology.
*Everything else ever.
Media studies.

Of course this is all subjective, if you're applying to do media studies at Uni, this list is clearly wrong.
Original post by Jkizer

I bought a music book manual type thing to help me learn Logic studio and found the theory really difficult to understand I would have thought (srs) it was highly regarded due to it's complex nature. After all musicians are regarded as genius by a lot of people. Mind you a lot of geniuses are journalists so would presumably rate media studies as a must have subject. Go figure.

I still say LOGIC would be the top A level to have were it available.:confused:
Reply 96
If you were applying for law I'd say:

History
Biology
Psychology
Music
Sociology
Media Studies

For a sciencey degree (not necessarily something that science based as you'd probably need maths)

Biology
Psychology
History
Music
Sociology
Media Studies

For an art degree probably have music at the top as to be fair, it's probably actually the hardest (you'd basically need Grade 8 with distinction or better to get full marks, and grade 8 theory too I expect).

In general though, it would just be the most relevant to the degree.
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Well at A2 you learn about the light dependent reaction and light independent (Calvin) cycle and the role of water, light, chlorophyll and other photosynthetic pigments including the structure of chloroplasts and how the different structures optimise the rate at which photosynthesis occurs. Also learn about the role of coenzymes but it all gets much trickier and so the rest is learned at uni

Biology A2 is amazing

But it isn't in any detail at all on a smaller scale
Original post by KettleMan
Put these 6 A-Levels in order from most respected to least respected:

Psychology
Biology
Sociology
History
Media Studies
Music

History
Biology