The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Biology
History
Music
Psychology
Sociology
Media

Why are people putting A level music so low down? The actual A level is really difficult because it has so many different aspects to it including composition, performance and theory/examination. I understand why some people think it's 'useless' but it's actually really well respected by a lot of universities
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by All-rounder
I don't think people are realising just how valuable History is by putting it 4th... It teaches exceptional analytical skills which are valued in a vast majority of professions and courses. Music at A level may be better than GCSE or just listening to it, but at the end of the day if it's not relevant to the course you want to do it's useless. Good luck using an instrument and the ability to read sheet music while you write an essay, or make a CV, or file reports, etc, etc.
Imo, Music isn't all that helpful as you can just take lessons and learn all of that outside of your curriculum anyway, without having to waste your time on it during your school year.

Being able to play an instrument and read sheet music is a prerequisite to starting AS Music. That is not what you learn in Music. I didn't even do Music at GCSE, never mind A-level, and I know that. I would assume A-level Music students would find Music useful when later writing an essay because of all the essay-writing they did for it.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A-Level_Music
The best way to find out is here:
https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Cambridge lists the A levels it likes (and by extension this should be similar for alot of red brick unviersities), by the following catogaries: A (generally suitable), B(limited suitability), C (Only as 4th subject). The A levels in the OP are rated as follows:

Biology: A
Music: A

Psychology: B
Sociology: B
Media Studies: B
Original post by Iggy Azalea
But Music A Level is really hard and is a niche subject.

I nearly died laughing there. Sorry. My A (we could only get A's in those days) after what amounted to 2 years of pissing around and bunking off definitely felt "really hard" at the time.
Reply 124
Original post by QuantumOverlord
The best way to find out is here:

Cambridge lists the A levels it likes (and by extension this should be similar for alot of red brick unviersities), by the following catogaries: A (generally suitable), B(limited suitability), C (Only as 4th subject). The A levels in the OP are rated as follows:

Biology: A
Music: A

Psychology: B
Sociology: B
Media Studies: B

If Economics and Philosophy are so respected then why don't many colleges do them?
And on the flip side, why are Psychology and Sociology far more common if they are less respected?
History
Biology
Psychology
Music
Sociology
Media Studies
Original post by KettleMan
If Economics and Philosophy are so respected then why don't many colleges do them?
And on the flip side, why are Psychology and Sociology far more common if they are less respected?

Because they might be easier to teach. If you want to impress a university, then only pick A levels from List 'A', with perhaps a single 4th A level from list 'B', and gear the subjects to the one you want to study at University. So if you wanted to study Biology for instance, then I would pick all my A levels from the A1 list.
Put these 6 A-Levels in order from most respected to least respected:

Psychology
Biology
Sociology
History
Media Studies
Music

IMHO
Biology
Psychology
History
Sociology
Music
Media studies

Although I think it depends what you're applying for at uni tbh!

Also what the **** is a 'mickey mouse' subject, there's well paid and respected jobs in all those fields.

Psychology
Biology
Sociology
History
Media Studies
Music

Biology
History
Psychology
Sociology
Music
Media

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Psychology
Biology
Sociology
History
Media Studies
Music

Biology (it's a science)
Psychology (science)
History
Sociology
Music
Media studies
Original post by Emememily733
Biology (it's a science)
Psychology (science)
History
Sociology
Music
Media studies

Finally, someone who recognises psychology as a science and not a second class easy subject haha

This is how Cambridge ranks all A Levels

(sorry if someone has already posted the link, haven't read through the whole thread)
Original post by jhumfy
Finally, someone who recognises psychology as a science and not a second class easy subject haha

Yeah it's definitely a science. I know what you mean though, I've seen a few on here discrediting Psychology as a science and as a subject of worth - it's an intensely scientific subject though. Tons of research skills, data study, analysis etc, and that's at A Level, I'm sure there's much more at Degree level. Really interesting though, I miss it..
Biology
History
Music
Psychology
Sociology
Media Studies
Yeah it's definitely a science. I know what you mean though, I've seen a few on here discrediting Psychology as a science and as a subject of worth - it's an intensely scientific subject though. Tons of research skills, data study, analysis etc, and that's at A Level, I'm sure there's much more at Degree level. Really interesting though, I miss it..

I think most people think less of it as quite a lot of students seem to do it, and often students who do it are also studying other 'easier' studies e.g. media, General studies etc. I didn't study it at A Level although I always wished I did, did it as part of an access course and it was really interesting. Starting a degree in psychology and criminology this Sept :biggrin: can't wait
Reply 135
Umm my a-levels this year were psychology, sociology and media studies.... :eek:
Original post by jhumfy
I think most people think less of it as quite a lot of students seem to do it, and often students who do it are also studying other 'easier' studies e.g. media, General studies etc. I didn't study it at A Level although I always wished I did, did it as part of an access course and it was really interesting. Starting a degree in psychology and criminology this Sept :biggrin: can't wait

Aww good luck :smile:
I was tempted with a Psych degree but decided ultimately that my path is more of a writer's one so I picked a literature based degree.. I like writing (:
I start this september as well, it really hasn't hit me yet though.. when I'm in the car on the way I'll be like crap, I'm actually starting uni.. wtf when did that happen? lol (:
Aww good luck :smile:
I was tempted with a Psych degree but decided ultimately that my path is more of a writer's one so I picked a literature based degree.. I like writing (:
I start this september as well, it really hasn't hit me yet though.. when I'm in the car on the way I'll be like crap, I'm actually starting uni.. wtf when did that happen? lol (:

Good luck to you too! I did English literature at A Level, I found it really interesting :biggrin: haha aww you'll be fine, for me it feels like a step backwards I've been working full time for a year and I'm 21! Still figuring out how I'm going to cope having less money haha but I'm really excited :biggrin:
Original post by jhumfy
Good luck to you too! I did English literature at A Level, I found it really interesting :biggrin: haha aww you'll be fine, for me it feels like a step backwards I've been working full time for a year and I'm 21! Still figuring out how I'm going to cope having less money haha but I'm really excited :biggrin:

Well, I had 2 gap years so I'm recently turned 20! Better late than never eh x)
I've done alright really with student loans and bursaries so I'm not too worried money wise but I have heard from friends that some of them are living on £20 a week :redface: But yeah I spose when you've been working for a year as well that's gonna make it a massive change financially too.. but at our age we're young and adaptable and we'll make it work (:
It'll be fine. Anyway, I'm going to sleep, so good luck (again haha) and goodnight! :biggrin:
I think history supersedes biology because it's a superior arts course than biology is a science course.

Latest