pink.elephant
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,
How many exams are there for A Level OCR Chemistry? (i'm a first year student doing A Levels next year)

What are the topics for each exam?

is it ok to use CGP books?

useful revision tips?

Many thanks in advance

P.S: is A Level Chemistry very hard?
Tappouni
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by pink.elephant)
Hi,
How many exams are there for A Level OCR Chemistry? (i'm a first year student doing A Levels next year)

What are the topics for each exam?

is it ok to use CGP books?

useful revision tips?

Many thanks in advance

P.S: is A Level Chemistry very hard?
Do you know which OCR Chemistry course you're doing? There's the 'A' specification, and the 'B (Salters)' specification...Salters is the one I did, and it wasn't necessarily difficult to understand the concepts, but there's a hell of a lot to learn. I've heard that the A course is easier though

As a general point, CGP guides can be alright but they often simplify things a bit much and miss out little details...though if you're using it in addition to your textbook (for making e.g. revision cards - they work!), should be alright, though if you're doing the Salters course, they have their own revision guide
pink.elephant
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tappouni)
Do you know which OCR Chemistry course you're doing? There's the 'A' specification, and the 'B (Salters)' specification...Salters is the one I did, and it wasn't necessarily difficult to understand the concepts, but there's a hell of a lot to learn. I've heard that the A course is easier though

As a general point, CGP guides can be alright but they often simplify things a bit much and miss out little details...though if you're using it in addition to your textbook (for making e.g. revision cards - they work!), should be alright, though if you're doing the Salters course, they have their own revision guide
I'm doing Chemistry A (F321-F326)
how many exams will i be sitting and what are the topics?
is there any useful website which you could kindly recommend to me please?
P.S: i seem to find 'Moles' quite difficult, was this the case for you?
Many Thanks
Tappouni
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing Chemistry A (F321-F326)
is there any useful website which you could kindly recommend to me please?
P.S: i seem to find 'Moles' quite difficult, was this the case for you?
These two sites were ones I used a fair bit - Doc Brown and Chemguide:

http://www.docbrown.info
http://www.chemguide.co.uk

You mean the actual concept of 'a mole'?
pink.elephant
Rep:
?
Yeah
By the way, do you know the topics for moodule 1 and 2 for Chemistry A?
Tappouni
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah
By the way, do you know the topics for moodule 1 and 2 for Chemistry A?
There's a page on Chemguide...bit of a lengthy read, but maybe start about two-thirds of the way down where they define a mole, that's a good start

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/CIE/section1/learningb.html

I don't know about the A spec modules, but it might be listed somewhere online like OCR's website?
charlottei
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did Chemistry A in OCR, and we did two exams. Plus three lots of coursework (practical assessments with a small written paper). But you get multiple goes at them, so it's not too scary. (:

I used the textbook they gave us in school, and that worked for me just fine! It was this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chemistry-St.../dp/0435691813

As for difficulty... the concepts are generally not too difficult to understand at first, and the methods of working out the answers are fairly easy, but then when you get to past paper questions it is so much harder, simply because they tend to over-complicate / make it as difficult as possible to understand what you're meant to do. You get the hang of it though, just do as many past papers as you can!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (535)
34.01%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (648)
41.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (318)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.58%

Watched Threads