The Student Room Group

These are REAL MEN

Been watching a lot of documentaries on the special forces, and their training (SAS in particular). It's brutal what they have to put themselves through: Days end with no food and no sleep, walking up to 70KM a day, every day alone by themselves, with a 50KG backpack. Some are killed in training (live rounds are used to mimic real life). Training like this lasts 9 months, even if they do complete the training, they may not make the regiment depending on whether others would trust them to go to war with eachother.

Andy McNab had his teeth pulled out, was whipped and had red hot spoons placed on his wounds whilst he was captured.

Another US vietnam veteran who was captured in the vietnam war was put in solitary confinement for 6 years, and had EVERY major bone broken in his body, and all his teeth and hair pulled out. He lived, and gives advice to the special forces about what to do when captured.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Surely gender does not matter?
Higher pain tolerance you mean :eek:
Reply 3
Original post by Secretnerd123
Higher pain tolerance you mean :eek:

It's the mentality, not simply pain tolerenace.
It's incredible how aloof people are, and able to belittle peoples extraordinary achievements.
I mean, a man or woman subjected to those situations is worthy of some form of respect.
The notion of a real man (or woman) is a touch outdated.
Reply 5
Original post by Merlot-Onous
I mean, a man or woman subjected to those situations is worthy of some form of respect.
The notion of a real man (or woman) is a touch outdated.

There is a good reason the SAS dont allow women into the regiment, and its not for sexist reasons...
Does that not already show you the qualities that are needed (that women lack) to make it through?
(edited 9 years ago)
I suspect they may have more than one reason. However, that does not mean "real men" are an actual thing.
For a second I thought you were referring to cosplay. I thought most guys on TSR would be into that.

But yes they train hard.
No woman has ever passed the selection process of the marines, they have said that if one ever does, then she's a marine fair and square, but as yet, even in mock tests, no woman has.
Reply 9
I suspect they may have more than one reason. However, that does not mean "real men" are an actual thing.

Do you not even understand the definition of masculinity and how it fits these men perfectly?
Oh no, that must mean I'm a fake man.
Reply 11
Surely gender does not matter?

kinda does. women can't do that job GENERALLY.

a very small amount can. only 2 women have passed the all arms commando course. which is an 8 week course. not the full 42 week commando course.

no women has passed the 42 weeks and joined p-coy.

so considering they haven't joined a regular unit yet alone got to be in a more thorough advanced unit like path finders i doubt they'd make SAS.
Original post by Doob
Do you not even understand the definition of masculinity and how it fits these men perfectly?

The traits you listed are merely indicative of any person with strong will power, pain tolerance etc...
Reply 13
The traits you listed are merely indicative of any person with strong will power, pain tolerance etc...

The fact that no woman to date has ever even been eligible for SAS training, shows that they do not have the qualities needed.
Do you not understand there are such things as masculine traits that most women dont and wont ever posess?
(edited 9 years ago)
First I think you would have to compare application rates before any proper picture could be established on that front.
I do not own that data set so am unwilling to guess how well a sizable female application would fare.
Original post by Doob
They look like the urban youth given some toys.
in.
Reply 17
First I think you would have to compare application rates before any proper picture could be established on that front.
I do not own that data set so am unwilling to guess how well a sizable female application would fare.

Hardly any women join the army in the first place, what does that tell you about the difference in mentality between men and women? It's not rocket science and you dont need data, its simple logic here...

Women generally dont posess the qualities necessary to make a fighter, a warrior, like men in the army do, otherwise... there would be far more women in the army.
Navy SEAL training is also hard to fathom. During Hell Week, 5 days of continuous non-stop training with a maximum of 4 hours sleep allowed. 4 ****ing hours sleep in 5 days worth of endless physical exertion. Hardly surprising most people who try and join these units won't even get remotely close to passing
Original post by Doob
The fact that no woman to date has ever even been eligible for SAS training, shows that they do not have the qualities needed.

That in of itself does not tell the whole story.

Up until this year women weren't allowed to serve on submarines, but they now can and do.
Up until 1992 women weren't allowed to fly combat aircraft in the RAF, but now they can and do and have even had people go on to serve in the Red Arrows.

Simply saying "they aren't eligible, therefore that shows they don't have the qualities" does not actually say everything. There are other reasons why they are not eligible that go beyond not being capable.

EDIT: don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they would be (except potentially a very small percentage of the population), and there are legitimate reasons, imo, for keeping women off the front line, but you just need to be careful how you phrase things.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest