The Student Room Group

PGDE Secondary Scotland 2015 - Where to apply?

Hi,

I want to apply for 2015 entry PGDE secondary (English) in Scotland, I am certainlly going to try in Edinburgh and Glasgow. But I can't make up my mind which uni to pick for the third option, I thought either Aberdeen or Strathclyde. Does anyone have an idea what would be better? Is one of them definitely the better uni for studying a pgde, or in terms of living costs, location, odds of getting in,...?

Also: Does anyone have an idea about what's happening with the UCAS system? Apparently, they are again changing the process, so that this year applicants have to apply "through the main cycle instead of through UCAS Teacher Training". Does anyone know when this will be?
UCAS doesn't really say anything on their website, most sources say November 21, but I've also read something about September on both Aberdeen's and Edinburgh's websites. Confusing!

Any tips would be a great help! Thanks!
Mariechen

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am confused with the application process as well! The UCAS teacher training application refers to September 15th but most of the Uni websites mention November- it looks as if most are still referring to 2014 entry. Obviously don't want to miss the boat! I have emailed both Glasgow and Aberdeen tonight to see if they can shed any light.

If you get an update I would definitely be interested to hear! Thanks!
Reply 2
I'm also applying for high school English teaching this year. I applied last year but got stung by the changes they made to the entry requirements and I am now updating my qualifications.

I'm applying to Glasgow, Strathclyde and UWS as Aberdeen is too far away from me and I'm not willing to move that far. I have a friend studying PGDE English at Edinburgh and frankly I'm not impressed by their course content. Strathclyde is better known for their PGDE I would say and they have a larger intake so you have a better chance of securing a place.

I think 15th September is still for people wishing to apply for 2014 as I think there are still some places left at English institutions. Ucas starts to update their dates mid October when the 2014 intake is closed for good.

What is everyone doing for work experience?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
I emailed Aberdeen uni as i want to do pgde modern studies and this is what was sent to me as I was confused as to when applications open.

'2014 Entry - Full-Time the course commenced on 21 August and all course are now closed.
2015 Entry - Full-Time - all PGDE degrees at Scottish Universities will now recruit through the main UCAScycle, ie, UCAS Undergraduate, and not through UCAS Teacher Training (TT). Students who want to be considered for teacher training at a Scottish institution, but also an English institution will need to submit one application to UCAS Undergraduate and another to UCAS TT. If they receive offers under both systems, UCAS will only allow them to hold an unconditional firm offer with one choice. The main UCAS cycle permits 5 choices of institution/course. Applicants will be able to accept up to two of them. If their first choice offer is unconditional, an insurance acceptance is permitted. If the first choice offer conditional, they can select a second choice (insurance) and this could be either conditional or unconditional.

Under the UCAS main cycle, PGDE applicants to Scottish Universities can apply now. The closing date is 15 January 2015 and universities are not obliged to consider late applications. Universities will have until end of March to make a decision and depending on the offers made, applicants will have until early May to respond. For those who have undertaken degree study recently, the application process for PGDE is exactly the same'

Hope this helps! Sounds better than previous yrs as they closed applications early.

In regards to experience the woman also said they don't look for a set amount so even if u get a couple of days it's all good!

Lauren x
Reply 4
when did the applications for Scottish teacher training open?

i did not realise it was to be done through the undergraduate section and i am worried i have left it late now because of it
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
It closes Jan 15th doll. Don't worry! Xx
Reply 6
Original post by lawren14
It closes Jan 15th doll. Don't worry! Xx

Im applying for modern studies too. Have you heard anything back yet (a rejection or interview date)...
Reply 7
Original post by fionaa89
when did the applications for Scottish teacher training open?

i did not realise it was to be done through the undergraduate section and i am worried i have left it late now because of it

Sept.
Reply 8
how come it is done through the undergraduate way and not the teacher training way?? i am worried i am applying the wrong way
Reply 9
I haven't applied yet. Pretty much done all the application, just need to write about my classroom experience, which I start tomoro so once I have done a few days I will send it!!
Xx
Original post by Ethic811W
Im applying for modern studies too. Have you heard anything back yet (a rejection or interview date)...

where have u applied too? Xx
Reply 10
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to apply to for 2015 entry also and started to fill in the undergraduate application form. Does anyone else find that the application form seems odd for the teaching course? For instance there does not seem to be a place for me to enter my degree. Also does this mean that we only need one reference?

Thanks
Gary
Reply 11
Original post by Gary13
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to apply to for 2015 entry also and started to fill in the undergraduate application form. Does anyone else find that the application form seems odd for the teaching course? For instance there does not seem to be a place for me to enter my degree. Also does this mean that we only need one reference?

Thanks
Gary

There is a bit for your degree in the education section. you enter where you went to uni and it brings up the option for what course you did.

and i think it is just one referee.

but it does seem odd that we are doing it through undergrad route and i am worried it is wrong but it seems to be right for the course codes etc
What are u wanting to teach Gary? Yes it's all odd but it's right! X
Reply 13
Thanks Fiona and Lawren, i'm sure i'll working it out on time ha! I'm applying to teach maths at Strathclyde, how about you?
I'm applying for modern studies. Just doing a few days clasroom observations and il send my application away! Hopefully they are quick I'm replying. need to dig out my qualification certificates and degree to send aswell. Hope I have them handy! Xx
Reply 15
does anyone know what questions will be asked in an interview for primary teaching ???
Reply 16
Hey!
I have my interview with Strathclyde tomorrow and I applied through the undergrad route so you applying the correct way! You only need one reference now as well which I think is better.

Hope my interview goes ok!
Good Luck to everyone!
Original post by 90schick
Hey!
I have my interview with Strathclyde tomorrow and I applied through the undergrad route so you applying the correct way! You only need one reference now as well which I think is better.

Hope my interview goes ok!
Good Luck to everyone!

Hey wot did u apply for?
I havent even sent my application away yet as I'm still doing classroom experience. Hope it goes well! Let us kno how it was!! :smile: xx
Reply 18
I'm applying for modern studies. I would sent it away as quick as you can. They are already starting to fill up the places.

Interview was good, they are really nice and put you at ease. the presentation was a bit daunting but everyone was in the same boat so we all kind of supported each other.

So nothing to do but wait now! Fingers crossed!
Oh no I better get the finger out! Iv done two full days at school but I suppose that will have to do! What kind of questions did they ask you? It's ok of you don't want to say, don't feel you have to. Hopefully u get a place! Xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending