The Student Room Group

English lit or biology

I'm about to start 6th form college and wondering whether to do biology. I'm definitely studying Chemistry, Maths and Spanish at A2 Level (I did AS level in high school). I'm looking at doing nursing or possibly medicine if I got the grades. Biology isn't essential for medicine courses. I enjoy the human biology side of things but can't stand learning about plants. If I didn't do biology I would be doing English literature instead, as it would allow me to go into pretty much any job. However, I don't know if this subject combination would be too heavy? If I picked english lit I would probably pick up AS level biology in my second year (As I will only be doing 3 subjects). Does anyone have any advice?
Reply 1
I hear Eng Lit is quite demanding of time, especially outside of college. Plus, tonnes of writing and in my opinion, BOREDOM :tongue:
I would suggest that Biology would be more useful to you if you intend to study medicine or go into nursing. If Biology still has an essay component then a good grade would also be evidence of good writing / essay skills for job opportunities too. I'd go for biology unless you're quite keen on English Literature, it's better to do something you would enjoy after all.
Original post by lozzanizza
I'm about to start 6th form college and wondering whether to do biology. I'm definitely studying Chemistry, Maths and Spanish at A2 Level (I did AS level in high school). I'm looking at doing nursing or possibly medicine if I got the grades. Biology isn't essential for medicine courses. I enjoy the human biology side of things but can't stand learning about plants. If I didn't do biology I would be doing English literature instead, as it would allow me to go into pretty much any job. However, I don't know if this subject combination would be too heavy? If I picked english lit I would probably pick up AS level biology in my second year (As I will only be doing 3 subjects). Does anyone have any advice?

I did physics and english lit and i found english to not be very demanding at all, however you get definately get out what you put in with english, the more you read, the better you'll do (this is great if you like reading). English won't help you get into a medical career but it is actually quite enjoyable and doesn't require tons of work. I'd recommend english.
Original post by lozzanizza

You have answered your own question. The mere thought of questioning whether to do English Literature over Spanish is a clear indicator that you should be taking Lit. and psychological research has proven this time and time again. Therefore, you should choose to do Lit. as your fourth option.

Have a nice life!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending