Hey can anyone explain me what is the difference between sixth form and college? Watch

stshormi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
And which one will be better if i want to do Biology,Chemistry and Maths?
(My future plans are to study in medicine)
Novascope
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by stshormi)
And which one will be better if i want to do Biology,Chemistry and Maths?
(My future plans are to study in medicine)
I'm not entirely sure, but I think a college is a place where people of all ages can study for a qualification in further education, whereas a sixth form is a place just for 16-18 to study A-Levels or IB? But there are sixth form colleges out there, I went to one, instead of going to just either a sixth form at my school or a college.
stshormi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Some people told me that you dont really get to learn in colleges because its more independent whereas in sixthforms you cover everything and you get to learn more as the teachers support u more.
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
College is exclusively for people above 16+ / doing A levels / btecs and whatnot

Sixth form is attached to a regular school, meaning you will have year 8's-11's (sometimes year 7's too) roaming the corridors and usually taking up teachers time.
(Original post by stshormi)
Some people told me that you dont really get to learn in colleges because its more independent whereas in sixthforms you cover everything and you get to learn more as the teachers support u more.
That seems to be the really general form. However there are many colleges where students get a lot of extra help sessions and sixth forms which the teachers might not be so helpful, as they got gcse students to help etc. Will all depend on the college/sixth form really.
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As far as I understand, sixth forms are generally tied to a secondary school, whereas colleges are more stand-alone. As a result, sixth forms will often offer subjects that can be taught both in secondary and sixth form (to save hiring more teachers), and so mostly A-levels will be offered. Colleges, however, will offer a wider range of qualifications, such as BTECs and vocational courses, alongside the traditional A-level courses.

So, technically, it shouldn't make much of a difference if you're going for A-levels alone. You'd be better off looking at your local options and making a decision based on the individual schools, rather than excluding one option or the other.
Computer Geek
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sixth Forms usually only do A-Levels, BTECs, IB, Pre-U, Colleges do a large variety of vocational courses that are usually part of apprenticeships. But some colleges tend to do A-Levels too. I recommend going to a good Sixth Form, as this will probably give you more support in studying.
rayquaza17
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sixth forms are normally only for school leavers (as in people who have just gotten their GCSE results). Sixth forms can be as part of a school or college. Sixth forms normally offer a levels and possible a few BTECs.

College is a place where you can study as a school leaver or as someone older wanting to learn. Colleges can offer many things not limited to: a levels, access courses, apprenticeships, BTECs.

To answer your question about what is better: no one can tell you which would be better for you. Have you not been to an open day at any local colleges? You can read their OFSTED reports (although nobody please start debating OFSTED!), and you could ask them how many people have studied there and gone on to study medicine.

I went to a college for sixth form and I got lots of support (my physics teacher went above and beyond!). But this will vary from place to place.
Khallil
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rayquaza17)
Do you want to become a teacher?
rayquaza17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Khallil)
Do you want to become a teacher?
I hope to be able to work in academia so possibly be a lecturer if that counts. (Though I've heard people say it's hard to get into )

I wouldn't mind teaching a levels but I would hate to teach GCSE maths and below to people who take no interest and mess on in lessons because they hate maths and are forced to be there!

What makes you ask that?
Khallil
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rayquaza17)
I don't know why, but I get a 'teachery' vibe from you. It's a bit strange. I totally get where you're coming from. It'd be boring to teach people who don't really care for the subject.
rayquaza17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't know why, but I get a 'teachery' vibe from you. It's a bit strange. I totally get where you're coming from. It'd be boring to teach people who don't really care for the subject.
Ha people do sometimes say that about me! But yeah I agree.
Pomum96
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
6th form allows you to prolong childhood just a little longer but college can give you more independence.

Ok this isnt always the case and there are more important differences. Ignore me.
Khallil
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Pomum96)
Ignored.
Zen-Ali
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ignored.
hahahaha allow it fam
ShannonS-J
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
From my experience, colleges are bigger than sixth forms, My college had over 2,000 pupils, my sixth form would of has less than 350. I went to a sixth form college and did better than I did at school. The good thing about Alevels is it's only really people who want to be there so if you want to learn and do well you will. I take it if you're doing chem, bio and maths your probably quite academic, if you're at a good school that you like you may as well stay there if you not then a sixth form college may be another option, depending on the colleges available in your area
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (148)
19.15%
Labour (328)
42.43%
Liberal Democrats (156)
20.18%
Green Party (42)
5.43%
Brexit Party (21)
2.72%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.39%
SNP (9)
1.16%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.78%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)