Is it good to love your body when you're clearly overweight? Watch

elliekelly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Okay so this may be controversial but I just want to know what people think about this. Basically I think it is great when people love their body and are very body confident however recently I have noticed on YouTube "curvy look book" videos and there are girls or boys even, who are clearly obese and not curvy. The people who are making these videos are showing young people it's okay to be overweight?! Curvy is a completely different thing to overweight! Being overweight is so threatening to your health and can lead to many illnesses - taking money from the nhs and today people just seem to think it's okay? What do you think because I really want people's views on this.
Joshale
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's good to like it I guess, but they shouldn't try and promote it, if anything they should be decreasing it
jhumfy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think people should be encouraged to be confident in their bodies and it's good to 'love' yourself however you are, but I also think people should be encouraged to 'love' their bodies by giving it proper nutrients and exercise! If that makes sense! I don't think anyone should be shamed into losing weight though, because it can cause all kinds of emotional issues and might have the opposite effect e.g. comfort eating
h3isenberg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I guess it is good in one sense that you have self-confidence in your body type, even athletes or models might not be happy with their bodies. But promoting obesity/being overweight is wrong as it is not a healthy lifestyle.
Fizzel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You have to learn to accept the things about your body you can't change. If you're short, if you've got wide hips, or broad shoulders, or a scar or something. That can't be changed, so you need to accept its not perfect but it is what it is. No need to learn to love something that isn't good for you and you are perfectly capable of changing. If you're overweight or underweight or weak or unfit, you can change those things. Learning to love them, by convincing yourself they don't matter or are somehow positive is just an easy way out.
HeavyTeddy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nope. Brainwashing yourself into thinking that you should love your body when you're clearly obese is dangerous. If you see nothing wrong with the possible complications and conditions you could get from being obese then you seriously counselling. Nor do I understand people who say they're willing to risk health risks because they're comfortable being fat- no one is comfortable with being fat unless they're deluded. It's just laziness to not actively try to lose the weight and nobody should be encouraging people to be comfortable with obesity- such a person doesn't care for your health if they do.
TheMoho
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To answer your main question, yes. It's good to love your body whatever state it's in, because the more you love it, the more you will be encouraged to improve on it.

If an obese person lost weight, but didn't love their body to begin with, there is a very small possibility that they might carry on losing too much weight or put the weight back on or develop an eating disorder.
jhumfy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheMoho)
To answer your main question, yes. It's good to love your body whatever state it's in, because the more you love it, the more you will be encouraged to improve on it.

If an obese person lost weight, but didn't love their body to begin with, there is a very small possibility that they might carry on losing too much weight or put the weight back on or develop an eating disorder.
^^THIS.
KJane
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by elliekelly)
Okay so this may be controversial but I just want to know what people think about this. Basically I think it is great when people love their body and are very body confident however recently I have noticed on YouTube "curvy look book" videos and there are girls or boys even, who are clearly obese and not curvy. The people who are making these videos are showing young people it's okay to be overweight?! Curvy is a completely different thing to overweight! Being overweight is so threatening to your health and can lead to many illnesses - taking money from the nhs and today people just seem to think it's okay? What do you think because I really want people's views on this.
Whenever I see body positivity, it's usually in no way promoting an unhealthy lifestyle but promoting self confidence. They're well aware of the issues of being bigger, seeing as it gets pointed out often enough to them as if they're blind.

If they eventually lose weight, don't you think their will power would be stronger if they've learned to increase their self worth?
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nope. Overweight people have a higher life expectancy than "normal" weight people.

What is unhealthy is being unfit, which is completely different.
ldsbabe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It takes a long time to lose weight healthily. So if you're over weight, you might as well love the body that you're in while you're in it. Also I think sometimes we judge over weight people too quickly. I'm not saying people that are 20 stone are healthy, but sometimes people can still be healthy and fit but carry a bit of extra weight.
septimius
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why not? If they're confident, so be it.
Autistic Merit
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by septimius)
Why not? If they're confident, so be it.

Not what you said here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2774775

Also, why are the responses in that thread so different to the responses in this one?
earthtome
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jhumfy)
I think people should be encouraged to be confident in their bodies and it's good to 'love' yourself however you are, but I also think people should be encouraged to 'love' their bodies by giving it proper nutrients and exercise! If that makes sense! I don't think anyone should be shamed into losing weight though, because it can cause all kinds of emotional issues and might have the opposite effect e.g. comfort eating
Definitely! If you learn to love your body, surely you're going to want to do what is best for it by eating well and giving your body everything it needs (exercise shouldn't go amiss either!)
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My boyfriend is overweight and has been for years. He's not overly fat but he is fat if that makes any sense. Because he is tall, that makes him look less bulky too. He's never once felt bad about what other think about his weight and makes no excuses for why he gained weight other than the facts - he loves food, gaming and doesn't exercise much. He doesn't try and get everyone to accept fat people and doesn't care if people don't accept him for his weight. He laughs off any criticisms and has more confidence in himself and his body than what skinny and slim people have. I envy how comfortable he is over his weight sometimes but he's happy and that's the main thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
septimius
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Autistic Merit)
Not what you said here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2774775

Also, why are the responses in that thread so different to the responses in this one?
Why shouldn't they be?

and what will or can you do about it? lol...
Autistic Merit
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by septimius)
Why shouldn't they be?

and what will or can you do about it? lol...
You made a thread attacking overweight people and now you're defending them...
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No.

Love yourself.

Don't love your body if you're an obese **** without medical reasons.
ItsJJ
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No, loving your body when you are clearly overweight is just an excuse not to work hard.
septimius
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Autistic Merit)
You made a thread attacking overweight people and now you're defending them...
I'm human...duh..lol...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (62)
15.12%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (41)
10%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
19.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (60)
14.63%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.73%
How can I be the best version of myself? (125)
30.49%

Watched Threads