I have a question!! Getting tested!

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I was watching an episode of greys anatomy. And the episode had made think so I wanted to know how many of you guys would get checked for any genetic disorders and diseases. For examples some genetic cancers or huntingtons disorder because of other family members that has been diagnosed with illnesses.

Personally I don't know if I would do it. My dad, his father (my grandfather) and my dad's brother have all died of cancer. While my aunty has been diagnosed. But I have never thought of maybe getting myself checked our for it if I can until this episode. But tbh I don't want to know but I also do want to know if that makes sense. Anyways what about you guys!!
Miss Maddie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I was watching an episode of greys anatomy. And the episode had made think so I wanted to know how many of you guys would get checked for any genetic disorders and diseases. For examples some genetic cancers or huntingtons disorder because of other family members that has been diagnosed with illnesses.

Personally I don't know if I would do it. My dad, his father (my grandfather) and my dad's brother have all died of cancer. While my aunty has been diagnosed. But I have never thought of maybe getting myself checked our for it if I can until this episode. But tbh I don't want to know but I also do want to know if that makes sense. Anyways what about you guys!!
If there was a known condition in the family I would choose to be tested so I could prepare myself or alter my lifestyle. For example, if CHD was common in my family, I would be tested and if I had that recently identified gene for CHD I would make an even greater effort at staying healthy. Instead of having a weekly treat it would be monthly etc... I would want to do as much as I could to minimise my chances of CHD.

Some conditions may need to be tested for for obvious reasons E.g. Hemophilia, SCA
clairesh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have many relatives with various heart conditions and my father died young from one so I got screened for that and get my heart checked every few years. If your parent or a close relative dies from a condition that could be genetic I think getting tested is a good idea, better to know really.

I also have had 3 grandparents get cancer but they all had different types so wouldnt consider being tested for it
It depends what types of cancer all your relatives had and at what ages that would effect whether you should consider getting tested or not but as it was your dad the nhs should test you if you ask to be.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (44)
37.29%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (12)
10.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.24%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
24.58%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.25%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.47%

Watched Threads