Studying in Spain (Valencia)

Watch
BlackThunder10
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I'm due to be studying in Spain soon, and i was wondering if anyone had any experiences. they wish to share.
Compact
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Bumping this because I'm on the same boat at the moment

Posted from TSR Mobile
BlackThunder10
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compact)
Bumping this because I'm on the same boat at the moment

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh sweet, what are you studying? Do you have accommodation yet?
Compact
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BlackThunder10)
oh sweet, what are you studying? Do you have accommodation yet?
I study Accounting at the moment. I can't really remember what modules I picked for this year but it's all Accounting, Economics and Business related lool
What about you?

& I've not found accommodation yet but I'm searching around, hoping to find something before I get there. I know one other guy from my University who's planning on going to Valencia and searching for a place once he's there. It's a daunting option but it seems like a lot of students do it, even Erasmus students.

Have you found a place yet? Or will you look around once you get there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
BlackThunder10
Rep:
?
I study Accounting at the moment. I can't really remember what modules I picked for this year but it's all Accounting, Economics and Business related lool
What about you?

& I've not found accommodation yet but I'm searching around, hoping to find something before I get there. I know one other guy from my University who's planning on going to Valencia and searching for a place once he's there. It's a daunting option but it seems like a lot of students do it, even Erasmus students.

Have you found a place yet? Or will you look around once you get there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh "those" subjects, lol, im sure you can count in Spanish which would help haha.
I'm doing Computer Science, but I had to pick Computer Engineering - it fully doesn't mean I gonna be one of those "engineering" guys.

I actually just booked a room today. Nice area and super affordable.
I think it would be better due to me not knowing the language properly. Also especially carrying around all my luggage in the heat, walking around aimlessly might make you a target (not implying anything haha).
Its my first going to live in a foreign country alone, I took a safer option of organization - this is not normal for me.

So what university did you come from?
Compact
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh "those" subjects, lol, im sure you can count in Spanish which would help haha.
I'm doing Computer Science, but I had to pick Computer Engineering - it fully doesn't mean I gonna be one of those "engineering" guys.

I actually just booked a room today. Nice area and super affordable.
I think it would be better due to me not knowing the language properly. Also especially carrying around all my luggage in the heat, walking around aimlessly might make you a target (not implying anything haha).
Its my first going to live in a foreign country alone, I took a safer option of organization - this is not normal for me.

So what university did you come from?
Lmao, yeah "those" topics. There weren't many broader options, especially not when you're limited to one faculty.
Ah, "those" guys xD. So you didn't pick modules? Which one of the Unis are you going to?

That's one big pro by going alone, I have to worry about two others with one who might not even go anymore :erm:
Remember not to bring too much clothing and extras, you'll most likely end up stuff there lool

Currently at Coventry University, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
BlackThunder10
Rep:
?
Lmao, yeah "those" topics. There weren't many broader options, especially not when you're limited to one faculty.
Ah, "those" guys xD. So you didn't pick modules? Which one of the Unis are you going to?

That's one big pro by going alone, I have to worry about two others with one who might not even go anymore :erm:
Remember not to bring too much clothing and extras, you'll most likely end up stuff there lool

Currently at Coventry University, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going to the universitat de valencia, I dont know what building my lessons are in atm. I kinda just picked modules within my degree (computer science/engineering), but I really wanna do different subjects module if possible, coz my area can get so boring i do something different.

I also had friend coming along with me but then he had to decline it due unforeseen circumstances, i.e broke. I know my uni had a big Erasmus meet up, where I met others going on study aboard, I met some going valencia too, but im not in contact with them so i'd probably see them there.

Im thinking of just bring a suitcase, gymbag and laptop bags to be honest and also my london accent .

Coventry you say.....i actually was going to go there coz they had a course called "ethical hacking", yes i know, but then i just picked University of Hertfordshire, due to it being closer to london where i was working.

So do you come from Coventry? or elsewhere?
Do you know when you are arriving in valencia?
Compact
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm going to the universitat de valencia, I dont know what building my lessons are in atm. I kinda just picked modules within my degree (computer science/engineering), but I really wanna do different subjects module if possible, coz my area can get so boring i do something different.

I also had friend coming along with me but then he had to decline it due unforeseen circumstances, i.e broke. I know my uni had a big Erasmus meet up, where I met others going on study aboard, I met some going valencia too, but im not in contact with them so i'd probably see them there.

Im thinking of just bring a suitcase, gymbag and laptop bags to be honest and also my london accent .

Coventry you say.....i actually was going to go there coz they had a course called "ethical hacking", yes i know, but then i just picked University of Hertfordshire, due to it being closer to london where i was working.

So do you come from Coventry? or elsewhere?
Do you know when you are arriving in valencia?
I was meant to go there but changed to UPV. Apparently they have better Business courses in English compared UV. Ask them when you get there, they should be more lenient if you're not jumping between building (at least that's how UPV are)

Aw, he should've tried, student finance comes through at the end of August, I'm not sure if it's before or after we get there but I guess it's linked to our home university more than the ones abroad.
We had a meet up too, that's how I met one of the girls I'm going with and there's a few others from my Spanish classes xD knowing familiar faces makes it all more bearable and less stressing.

I'm bringing one large/medium suitcase, maybe another small cabin sized one and a small backpack :cool: Plus my weird breed of a accent that I'm not sure what it is.
I've been reading about others bringing 2 suitcases and Cabin bags :facepalm: that's just too much weight to carry around, especially if you're by yourself.

I chose Coventry because of the distance too. I live in Birmingham but commute to Uni (which is horrible and that will probably change for the final year).
"Ethical Hacking" XD is it ever ethical? That's a topic question itself. Do you have any similar modules in your current course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
BlackThunder10
Rep:
?
I was meant to go there but changed to UPV. Apparently they have better Business courses in English compared UV. Ask them when you get there, they should be more lenient if you're not jumping between building (at least that's how UPV are)

Aw, he should've tried, student finance comes through at the end of August, I'm not sure if it's before or after we get there but I guess it's linked to our home university more than the ones abroad.
We had a meet up too, that's how I met one of the girls I'm going with and there's a few others from my Spanish classes xD knowing familiar faces makes it all more bearable and less stressing.

I'm bringing one large/medium suitcase, maybe another small cabin sized one and a small backpack :cool: Plus my weird breed of a accent that I'm not sure what it is.
I've been reading about others bringing 2 suitcases and Cabin bags :facepalm: that's just too much weight to carry around, especially if you're by yourself.

I chose Coventry because of the distance too. I live in Birmingham but commute to Uni (which is horrible and that will probably change for the final year).
"Ethical Hacking" XD is it ever ethical? That's a topic question itself. Do you have any similar modules in your current course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wait...you had spanish classes, at least that will be helpful at the start, the last time I had spanish lesson was a gsces. I am actually using rosetta stone for some basic spanish, but that is so boring lol. computer speaking in the same monotone voice isnt helpful.

Not to sound like "that guy", but dont girls normally bring lots of stuff to university i.e too many clothes hahaha. The 2 suitcase plan might be best for you and maybe even a third one coz you need that extra space and dont care about the struggle or coz your posh lol.

Oh, Birmingham, I got some family living there (dont know what area). I always though about commuting but I realise I hate living at home, easy decision.

Most of the course are the same, its all the same basic modules but probably different units, I might end up doing the same thing again :mad: - anything linked to a computer is what I do. btw ethical hacking is used in businesses to test vulnerable areas on the system, so they know what needs patching up.

p.s my friend was an international student, so he wasn't allowed any uk support, apparently.

Well i'm going around the second week of September, we should defo meet up and go through the struggles of the year abroad?
Compact
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wait...you had spanish classes, at least that will be helpful at the start, the last time I had spanish lesson was a gsces. I am actually using rosetta stone for some basic spanish, but that is so boring lol. computer speaking in the same monotone voice isnt helpful.

Not to sound like "that guy", but dont girls normally bring lots of stuff to university i.e too many clothes hahaha. The 2 suitcase plan might be best for you and maybe even a third one coz you need that extra space and dont care about the struggle or coz your posh lol.

Oh, Birmingham, I got some family living there (dont know what area). I always though about commuting but I realise I hate living at home, easy decision.

Most of the course are the same, its all the same basic modules but probably different units, I might end up doing the same thing again :mad: - anything linked to a computer is what I do. btw ethical hacking is used in businesses to test vulnerable areas on the system, so they know what needs patching up.

p.s my friend was an international student, so he wasn't allowed any uk support, apparently.

Well i'm going around the second week of September, we should defo meet up and go through the struggles of the year abroad?
The university offered free classes for Erasmus students so I took them xD It was a 2-week's intensive course that covered everything I did during my GCSE's (but I can barely put a sentence together...). Since you studied once you'll get the basics quickly.

Loool yeah we probably do, hence why I'm trying to limit myself to 1 main suitcase + a cabin sized one and so far it's going well. Worst case scenario, if I desperately need anything I'm sure it can be bought in Valencia *fingers crossed*.

Ohh, well if you've studied it before that means less studying for you XD. Could you do other engineering modules that aren't computer science/engineering related?

Bless him...

I just had a mental image of a bunch of lost Erasmus students gathered together, wondering what to do lool. I'll be there from the 30th of August, I'm not a drinker so I can't give much advice on the best places to go for that (assuming you do drink, sorry if you don't ) but I'll gather that info for you XD.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BlackThunder10
Rep:
?
The university offered free classes for Erasmus students so I took them xD It was a 2-week's intensive course that covered everything I did during my GCSE's (but I can barely put a sentence together...). Since you studied once you'll get the basics quickly.

Loool yeah we probably do, hence why I'm trying to limit myself to 1 main suitcase + a cabin sized one and so far it's going well. Worst case scenario, if I desperately need anything I'm sure it can be bought in Valencia *fingers crossed*.

Ohh, well if you've studied it before that means less studying for you XD. Could you do other engineering modules that aren't computer science/engineering related?

Bless him...

I just had a mental image of a bunch of lost Erasmus students gathered together, wondering what to do lool. I'll be there from the 30th of August, I'm not a drinker so I can't give much advice on the best places to go for that (assuming you do drink, sorry if you don't ) but I'll gather that info for you XD.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I probably could do some "engineering" modules, but they are so hard, using maths I don't feel like learning in a different country. Depending on the engineering module i would like to some sort of electronics related on or similar.:rolleyes:

On the 30th, wow thats so soon, well good luck to your early weeks in valencia. Oh btw what airline you flying with? (if you going by air).

I'm not bother about you not being a drinker, but how do you survive with dehydration (joke ), anyways its all about the pre- drinks and keeping the buzz, you probably have your own ways of getting that feeling".

At least the beach is super nearby - midnight beach party.
CupidMupid
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There's really two main universities in Valencia "Universitat De Valencia" and a "Polytechnic University of Valencia". They are in very close proximity to each other, might as well somewhat remind you of a U of Manchester and/ Manchester Metropolitan.

I didn't study there, I've lived in Valencia for a period of around 18 months (from when I was just before 17 to 18). I can't tell you much in terms of academic prospects, although I have been in the area quite often, and do have a friend who took a computer based course there. I have also met up with some people at the university sports field once.

I can't really be of much help telling you what its like to study there, as I was slightly a bit too young for university back then, but overall describing the city or my personal experience - I can try and answer some questions.

You will be living not far from the beach. Also in close proximity is the river park. It pretty much lays the path for the entire city. You can walk through it all easily in less than a day.

The weather is lovely there, the people are happy. The kebabs taste nice and food is generally way cheaper. You may as well pop into a cafe and get a decently sized and filling sandwich for maybe 2 euros.

Although I have lots of rich memories, I can't really speak for how is Spain doing now. There have been economical problems in last couple of years, so it might have changed the atmosphere, although social factors like those will never overcome the historical significance that it enriched me with.
Compact
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I probably could do some "engineering" modules, but they are so hard, using maths I don't feel like learning in a different country. Depending on the engineering module i would like to some sort of electronics related on or similar.:rolleyes:

On the 30th, wow thats so soon, well good luck to your early weeks in valencia. Oh btw what airline you flying with? (if you going by air).

I'm not bother about you not being a drinker, but how do you survive with dehydration (joke ), anyways its all about the pre- drinks and keeping the buzz, you probably have your own ways of getting that feeling".

At least the beach is super nearby - midnight beach party.
I guess it's best to find out when you get there . I personally went for modules that are similar to what I've done already, it makes life easier and it's a good recap for the final year lool

Ryanair :hmpf: It added up to just under £70 with one checked suitcase.
Easyjet have cheap flights if you book months in advance but I had no confirmation before August, by then the prices went up quite a bit. For both it seemed like departing from bigger airports would cost more. I settled for East Midlands since it's closer and it worked out cheaper too.
Are you flying or going via other transport?

Ah, I just get by one day at a time xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
BlackThunder10
Rep:
?
I guess it's best to find out when you get there . I personally went for modules that are similar to what I've done already, it makes life easier and it's a good recap for the final year lool

Ryanair :hmpf: It added up to just under £70 with one checked suitcase.
Easyjet have cheap flights if you book months in advance but I had no confirmation before August, by then the prices went up quite a bit. For both it seemed like departing from bigger airports would cost more. I settled for East Midlands since it's closer and it worked out cheaper too.
Are you flying or going via other transport?

Ah, I just get by one day at a time xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you've probably settled somewhere, nice and almost cosy? The weather must be be nice at this time of year, so you probably started to work up a tan and stuff, haha.

Oh the dreaded Ryanair, i went for standard Easyjet still pretty cheap.

p.s my bad on the super late response
Compact
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So you've probably settled somewhere, nice and almost cosy? The weather must be be nice at this time of year, so you probably started to work up a tan and stuff, haha.

Oh the dreaded Ryanair, i went for standard Easyjet still pretty cheap.

p.s my bad on the super late response
Well... I'm already dark skinned and weirdly enough I haven't darkened much more. Maybe you had better luck xD

I've flown with Ryanair a few times, as long as there's no small baby or toddler nearby it's not so bad lool
Ryanair is good for last minute budget flights, Easyjet have better deals if you buy in advance

No worries.. (I can't say much myself).
I hope you've settled in, enrolling was a pain in the backside at UPV.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TamaDP
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
To which university are you going? Are you an erasmus student or on your own?
oliviaprentice
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi everyone, I am looking to study a bachelors degree in psychology in English at Universidad Complutense De Madrid (UCM), I was wandering if anyone could help me with the application process? Thanks!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (393)
56.55%
I don't have everything I need (302)
43.45%

Watched Threads