thenead
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys,

I've written my personal statement, and managed to get it to 47 lines and 3447 characters.

I'm just wondering if the characters are a bit on the low side as the max is 4000.

Any help would be great,
Thanks.
mynameisntdoug
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No, that should be fine.

I know this is said a lot: but quality over quantity - make sure your statement is as great as it can be, the amount of words, characters or lines are irrelevant as long as you feel like you covered everything.

My statement was something like 3,445 (2,892 without spaces) characters but I was told it's one of the best statements from my college.
username878045
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you feel you've put everything into it that you can, then don't worry. It'd be worse to put in 500 characters of irrelevant stuff.
thenead
Rep:
?
Thanks a lot both.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by thenead)
Hi guys,

I've written my personal statement, and managed to get it to 47 lines and 3447 characters.

I'm just wondering if the characters are a bit on the low side as the max is 4000.

Any help would be great,
Thanks.
Have you read "About Me" in the TSR profile of Good bloke? If you haven't, read it now.
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi guys,

Any help would be great,
Thanks.
If you put proper spacing in, you will hit the line limit before you hit the character limit.

If your statement doesn't have proper spacing at the expense of trying to squash in more content, it becomes hard to read, and won't endear admissions tutors to you. In some subjects (e.g. sciences), where clear, concise communication is a valued skill, it will probably actively count against you. And, with the best will in the world, admissions tutors reading 100 statements at a time will skim over things lost in the middle of overlong paragraphs, or statements that don't have decent spacing.

Also, if you don't use any paragraphs at all, there is the risk the admissions tutor will think you don't know how!
thenead
Rep:
?
(Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
If you put proper spacing in, you will hit the line limit before you hit the character limit.

If your statement doesn't have proper spacing at the expense of trying to squash in more content, it becomes hard to read, and won't endear admissions tutors to you. In some subjects (e.g. sciences), where clear, concise communication is a valued skill, it will probably actively count against you. And, with the best will in the world, admissions tutors reading 100 statements at a time will skim over things lost in the middle of overlong paragraphs, or statements that don't have decent spacing.

Also, if you don't use any paragraphs at all, there is the risk the admissions tutor will think you don't know how!
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by 'proper spacing'? I have hit the line limit before character limit, and I have put in paragraphs.
thenead
Rep:
?
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Have you read "About Me" in the TSR profile of Good bloke? If you haven't, read it now.
Thanks!
SlowlorisIncognito
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by 'proper spacing'? I have hit the line limit before character limit, and I have put in paragraphs.
Sorry for being unclear. I mean putting a line's worth of space between paragraphs, as is usual when word processing a document.

Some people will try to use indents, or even // to indicate the start of a new paragraph. Indents are lost in UCAS formatting, and so not leaving a line between paragraphs can make things pretty hard to read.
lamyers1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sspacinextra lines between e
(Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)

Lines left between paragraphs get removed in UCAS anyway.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Someone call? You are too kind.

(Original post by lamyers1)

No they don't. They most definitely don't.
lamyers1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
Someone call? You are too kind.

No they don't. They most definitely don't.

? Ive been through UCAS twice and you can never leave a line free. You can go down one to start a new paragraph but not leave a completely empty one. Unless this has changed suddenly.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
? Ive been through UCAS twice and you can never leave a line free. You can go down one to start a new paragraph but not leave a completely empty one. Unless this has changed suddenly.
On the contrary, you are forced to include a blank line if you wish, as all sensible applicants will, to have clear space between your paragraphs. Typographical formatting, such as blank space added between paragraphs and tabbing, from any word processor used is lost.
mynameisntdoug
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

No, they don't at all.

lamyers1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
On the contrary, you are forced to include a blank line if you wish, as all sensible applicants will, to have clear space between your paragraphs. Typographical formatting, such as blank space added between paragraphs and tabbing, from any word processor used is lost.

Probably because we were told to word process then just copy it in, i don't think anyone at our school put spaces like that between paragraphs. Pretty much everyone had offers though so isn't too important! Haha.
SlowlorisIncognito
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Probably because we were told to word process then just copy it in, i don't think anyone at our school put spaces like that between paragraphs. Pretty much everyone had offers though so isn't too important! Haha.
Ultimately, your grades will have far more importance on getting offers than leaving spaces in your PS. However, if people want their PS to be easy to read (and they should), making sure you have line spaces in, is definitely a good idea.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Well, people get lucky and imperfections in an application can be outweighed by good points elsewhere in that application. It is best to try and eliminate all problems though and presentation is important.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (637)
33.6%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (798)
42.09%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (376)
19.83%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (85)
4.48%

Watched Threads