Turn on thread page Beta

Bloody driving watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    do you need to have an insurance policy to get no claims or just a license? If you only need a license by the time i can afford a car i'll have about a4 or 5 years no claism bonus
    an insurance policy in your name. You can start collecting no claims on a provisional if the policy is in your name.

ReputationRep:
    I had exactly the same problem.
    my parents picked my driving instructor for me and she was a real *****. She was teaching my mum to drive at the same time and was lovely with her. I didn't have much confidence to start with and what I did have she got rid off in 3 lessons. I have no idea how many lessons I had, but after I'd left home and I actually wanted to pass my test I booked a test and had seven lessons in seven days and passed.

I think some instructors take the attitude that if your parents are paying (and if you are still in full time education they assume it is the parents) then keeping you learning for longer will earn them more money.

I fairly sure he has to give you a refund. Did he make you sign anything?

If not use the small claims court (doesn't cost anything) and phone your local paper so someone is in court to report that he called you rubish etc. Or call in the inland revenue. (yes I'm a *****, but only when provoked)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    an insurance policy in your name. You can start collecting no claims on a provisional if the policy is in your name.
    That's a very expensive way to build up a NCB though!

Some insurers run a 10 month accellerated ploicy where you get 12 months worth of NCB every 10 months (provided you're not involved in a claim!). Diamond (women only) is one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    If not use the small claims court (doesn't cost anything) and phone your local paper so someone is in court to report that he called you rubish etc. Or call in the inland revenue. (yes I'm a *****, but only when provoked)
    will cost you £30 to bring a small claims to court. You can apply on line too.

But be careful, if the person you are taking to court decideds to get representation rather than doing it themselves and you lose you can end up with a costs order against you for the other sides barister etc...

ReputationRep:
    Dunno if this makes you feel any better, but in one of my first few lessons, I turned a corner and hit the curb so hard the front tyre burst. Right in the middle of town as well! Oh the shame...

Not all male driving instructors are letchy- mine wasn't, he was lovely. But then, I've been in the same class at school as his son since we were three, and he lives in the next village so I know him quite well. Even a personality clash can make driving hell, even if they're usually a nice person! I'd try someone else, if it doesn't get any better. Are there any female instructors near you? That might get rid of the 'you can't drive because you're a girl' comments.

If you're a bit wobbly with the gears, and it's partly cos you have to look down to change, try sitting in your parents' car (in the drive, engine off, hand brake on!) and just pressing the clutch and moving through the gears. It helped me get a feel for which gear was which so I could still look at the road while changing, and avoid the curbs!

ReputationRep:
    Just checking hes not a really bad instructor. It was clutch control and reversing that was worst for me. I hated driving in traffic roundabouts especially were horrible, driving fast never bothered me but then we have a ton of dual carriageways by me so I had plenty of practise. The only quibble I had with my driving instructor was that he wouldnt teach me emergency stops until the morning of my test.
    i didn't learn emergency stops until the day before my test too. I don't see why you'd want to. My instructor was really good and never got angry at me once. I've always been completley confident driving a car from the day i started. I reckon this is partially thanks to my instructor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Joanna*)
    Dunno if this makes you feel any better, but in one of my first few lessons, I turned a corner and hit the curb so hard the front tyre burst. Right in the middle of town as well! Oh the shame...

Not all male driving instructors are letchy- mine wasn't, he was lovely. But then, I've been in the same class at school as his son since we were three, and he lives in the next village so I know him quite well. Even a personality clash can make driving hell, even if they're usually a nice person! I'd try someone else, if it doesn't get any better. Are there any female instructors near you? That might get rid of the 'you can't drive because you're a girl' comments.

If you're a bit wobbly with the gears, and it's partly cos you have to look down to change, try sitting in your parents' car (in the drive, engine off, hand brake on!) and just pressing the clutch and moving through the gears. It helped me get a feel for which gear was which so I could still look at the road while changing, and avoid the curbs!
    Thanks, it worked -I haven't done that-..*yet*.
    It is possibly a personality clash, he makes harsh jokes about my driving all the time. At first I admit I did laugh, but now I get the feeling he's blatantly being a bully. I can see this smug grin on his face everytime I attempt to do a 3 point turn. God, I knew I should have booked a woman instructor! Mind you I've heard a few horror stories about them too so on second thoughts....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoStInIdEaFlOoD)
    Thanks, it worked -I haven't done that-..*yet*.
    It is possibly a personality clash, he makes harsh jokes about my driving all the time. At first I admit I did laugh, but now I get the feeling he's blatantly being a bully. I can see this smug grin on his face everytime I attempt to do a 3 point turn. God, I knew I should have booked a woman instructor! Mind you I've heard a few horror stories about them too so on second thoughts....
    LOL that is harsh

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=DazzYaa]LOL that is harsh[/QUOTE

Which bit?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=LoStInIdEaFlOoD]
    (Original post by DazzYaa)
    LOL that is harsh[/QUOTE

Which bit?
    him keep laughing at you and especially having the smirk on his face! LOL but that did make me laugh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazzYaa)
    him keep laughing at you and especially having the smirk on his face! LOL but that did make me laugh
    Charming, well at least now I know I'm not paranoid and it definitely is a guy thing :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    That's a very expensive way to build up a NCB though!

Some insurers run a 10 month accellerated ploicy where you get 12 months worth of NCB every 10 months (provided you're not involved in a claim!). Diamond (women only) is one...
    accelerated no claims doesnt work out cheaper for me. To have that diamond policy is £200 more than my current policy and the other accelerated policies are all around the same mark. I got a bonus years no claims for renewing with my company so they already class me as having 2yrs NCB and my policy is very very cheap for a fairly new driver.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my instructor didn't get on - he thought I didn't have the right attitude to driving and was convinced I would fail (I didn't) and I thought he was an utter knob with a bizarre fascination for the Beano (this man was late 30s...)

Eg if I went over a bump a bit too quickly he would move around in his seat so much it looked like he was on a rollercoaster or something, and if I stopped abit too harshly he would over-exagerratedly lurch forward... grrrrrr!!

If you have problems with gear changing do what I did - do them whilst stationary but also trying not to think about what youre doing, try saying the alphabet backwards whilst you're doing it or something.

ReputationRep:
    accelerated no claims doesnt work out cheaper for me. To have that diamond policy is £200 more than my current policy and the other accelerated policies are all around the same mark. I got a bonus years no claims for renewing with my company so they already class me as having 2yrs NCB and my policy is very very cheap for a fairly new driver.
    how much do u pay? i was quoted £3750

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    how much do u pay? i was quoted £3750
    Blimey! How old are you and what are you trying to insure?

Fx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    will cost you £30 to bring a small claims to court. You can apply on line too.

But be careful, if the person you are taking to court decideds to get representation rather than doing it themselves and you lose you can end up with a costs order against you for the other sides barister etc...
    Actually if you are on a low income it costs nothing. And in the small claims court costs are not awarded, each side pays their own.

ReputationRep:
    Ford Ka
    I've been passed a year but it was under a year when I renewed. But I have my years no claims plus my bonus they gave me, it was £500ish or just under this time and £565 last time. ANd thats in my name with me as the main driver and my dad as second driver. i think my diamond quote was £690 regular policy and over £700 with the accelerated ncb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Actually if you are on a low income it costs nothing. And in the small claims court costs are not awarded, each side pays their own.
    Not true - you can still get an unreasonable costs order against you! My other half did just that to some poor person yesterday in a small claims hearing.....

ReputationRep:
    i think my diamond quote was £690 regular policy and over £700 with the accelerated ncb.
    Blimey! My last Diamond quote was cheaper than Direct Line! I guess I'm a little bit older though..... DL wanted £410 and Diamond £335, so even though Diamond is only a 10 month policy, it still worked out slightly cheaper...

ReputationRep:
    Norwich union direct, and tescos arent too bad but I have insurance through the civil service motoring organisation and so get a discount otherwise it would be about £600 for me. I have only been driving for a year though so I dont think its too bad. AA quoted me something ridiculous for their cheapest like £2000!! I have a pretty new car which makes insurance more expensive than if I was driving something a few years older.
    Its also cheaper because of my age if I was under 21 I think it would be nearly £1000

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.