sampets10
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone!
I didnt know where to put this so, admins, feel free to move this.
I want to start an economics after school club. In my country kids hate economics in every possible way and think it is the most borring class. I want to show them the opposite but i dont really have good ideas. My frst idea was to make something like young millionare club and teach them how to reach wealth, talk about stocks, markets, business, importance of collage degree and stuff like that. Maybe we could found a real business.
The other idea was to have just classes talking about economics and learning through play, games and independant work. It would be wide range of different aged student since my school is so small. Also i have very tight budget.

What so you do in that kind of clubs, societies?

What would you like to do?
Have any ideas?
vimto39
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
One idea that always works is along the lines of what you have already mentioned - where you say 'learning through play, games and independent work' - by setting up a virtual trading competition. This way, there's an incentive to learn, as the element of competition amongst peers always stimulates learning. Maybe your school will even sponsor some better prizes to make the club even more successful.

Maybe watch something like The Wolf of Wall Street to get them pumped before hand.

Or maybe split everyone into two teams and create small businesses to raise money for some cause, charity, the school, or whatever in a similar sort of competition.

Realistically you want something fairly practical and hands on, with an incentive to better their knowledge independently to get an edge on their peers. I wouldn't go down the purely academic route, you wouldn't get the breadth of people you hope for through that.
keynes24
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sampets10)
Hi everyone!
I didnt know where to put this so, admins, feel free to move this.
I want to start an economics after school club. In my country kids hate economics in every possible way and think it is the most borring class. I want to show them the opposite but i dont really have good ideas. My frst idea was to make something like young millionare club and teach them how to reach wealth, talk about stocks, markets, business, importance of collage degree and stuff like that. Maybe we could found a real business.
The other idea was to have just classes talking about economics and learning through play, games and independant work. It would be wide range of different aged student since my school is so small. Also i have very tight budget.

What so you do in that kind of clubs, societies?

What would you like to do?
Have any ideas?
From the activities you described I wouldn't call it Economics club but Business Studies club. For Economics you could discuss current events or start a debate or presentations on topics suggested by students.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (87)
14.01%
I'm not sure (29)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (196)
31.56%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.09%
I'm not a current university student (296)
47.67%

Watched Threads