The Student Room Group

BKSB maths assessment

Has anyone got any tips for BKSB i need level 2+
It usually starts with an initial assessment that works out your rough level. You cannot afford to make silly mistakes in this because it will prematurely decide your level is low.

It's generally then used as a full diagnostic assessment tool to work out what someone needs to learn at their assessed level. To get level 2 you need to be very good (without a calculator) at core arithmetic skills, fractions, decimals, ratio and %, you need basic skills with shape (perimeter area and volume of rectangles/cuboids) and metric measures/conversions (lengthy, capacity, mass), basic data skills (mean, mode, median, range, bar charts, pie charts and line graphs) and some simple probability knowledge. You need to be able to apply these skills in practical/functional situations. The knowledge needed to get level 2 is about at gcse C grade and is mostly done without a calculator. Division tends to be most peoples weakness so maybe refresh your written methods and your times tables if required. If you get into level 3 it will add some simple algebra, area and volume using pi, Pythagoras and trigonometry and so includes more calculator work. Check whether you have to use the built in calculator or are allowed to use your own. Also check with them if they're are any time limits on the assessment. There is a functional skills version (since you talk about levels I assume this is the one you are doing) and a gcse version.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42
It usually starts with an initial assessment that works out your rough level. You cannot afford to make silly mistakes in this because it will prematurely decide your level is low.

It's generally then used as a full diagnostic assessment tool to work out what someone needs to learn at their assessed level. To get level 2 you need to be very good (without a calculator) at core arithmetic skills, fractions, decimals, ratio and %, you need basic skills with shape (perimeter area and volume of rectangles/cuboids) and metric measures/conversions (lengthy, capacity, mass), basic data skills (mean, mode, median, range, bar charts, pie charts and line graphs) and some simple probability knowledge. You need to be able to apply these skills in practical/functional situations. The knowledge needed to get level 2 is about at gcse C grade and is mostly done without a calculator. Division tends to be most peoples weakness so maybe refresh your written methods and your times tables if required. If you get into level 3 it will add some simple algebra, area and volume using pi, Pythagoras and trigonometry and so includes more calculator work. Check whether you have to use the built in calculator or are allowed to use your own. Also check with them if they're are any time limits on the assessment. There is a functional skills version (since you talk about levels I assume this is the one you are doing) and a gcse version.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you my Assessment is on monday. Its access course. How can i prepare i work 16 hours over the weekend. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Only suggestion I can make is to do some maths to refresh your skills.
Level 2 functional skills maths papers will be about the right level and content and can be downloaded from the edexcel web site.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
Only suggestion I can make is to do some maths to refresh your skills.
Level 2 functional skills maths papers will be about the right level and content and can be downloaded from the edexcel web site.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its for GCSE vickie i do the access next year. The college in question is aqa would you reccommend printing of the two papers (1&2) from november (most recent available) thank you
Original post by wanna-be-doctor
Its for GCSE vickie i do the access next year. The college in question is aqa would you reccommend printing of the two papers (1&2) from november (most recent available) thank you

Oh sorry yeah i would reccomend printing them if you can, also look at bitesize.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hi
Reply 7
anyone
Reply 8
a bit old ...
Can someone please help me with this question ..

The main arena hall has dimensions 200 m by 85 m. On a large diagram on the office wall the scale is 1:40.
What are the dimensions of the floor space on the diagram? In Cm.

I am failing the initial assessment because I can't do this one.

thanks.
Any help at all ??

The main arena hall has dimensions 200 m by 85 m. On a large diagram on the office wall the scale is 1:40. What are the dimensions of the floor space on the diagram? In Cm.

Please!!
Original post by Rhiannon21pp1
Any help at all ??

The main arena hall has dimensions 200 m by 85 m. On a large diagram on the office wall the scale is 1:40. What are the dimensions of the floor space on the diagram? In Cm.

Please!!

with a scale of 1:40, 40cm in the real world would be 1 cm on the plan

convert the room dimensions from m to cm

then divide the room dimensions (cm) by 40 to work out the plan lengths
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
@rhianon

1:40

100x200=20000/40=500
100x85=8500/40212.5

500cmx212.5cm
Reply 13
I got level 3 in maths and English on my initial assessment in to level 2 childcare...is that any good as I'm just starting the course???
Original post by Aniaj211
I got level 3 in maths and English on my initial assessment in to level 2 childcare...is that any good as I'm just starting the course???

I think it's more likely you assessed as Entry Level 3. You would only get a Level 3 if you already had a very high GCSE ability (e.g. Grade A or higher) and if you had that I don't understand why you would be asked to take a bksb assessment for a level 2 course. If it was Entry Level 3 then you have a lot of work to do to reach good GCSE standard (level 2).
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Hi all! Im new here. I wonder if you can help me as well. I’ll have an interview next month(applying for Student Pharmacy Technician in NHS hospital) but I need to pass the BKSB test for math and english first before I can be interviewed. Do you have any idea where I can have an access free of charge to have a practice please..is it an entry or level please?many thanks in advance
Does anyone know the answer to this question
Reply 17
50-18
Perimeter= Side1 side2 side3 side4 50m. = 18 s2 18 s4 50m =. 36 2S 50m -36m = 2 S14m = 2SS = 14/2 = 7mS= 7m

Quick Reply

Latest