The Student Room Group

Taking a gap year to re take A2 modules?

With results day fast approaching I'm worried that I may not get the grades that I want (AAA-ABB). So would it be worth me re sitting some of the modules next year, get better grades and then re apply to Unis? I'm planning on doing Law, so during the gap year I would also try to get some work experience done to make my PS stronger.

Also, I'm fairly confident that I would be able to get BBB (at the highest) on results day, and my firm choice (brunel) may choose to accept me as they are known to be lenient, but I don't know if I should accept the offer in that case or not. Do A levels matter hugely after graduating with a first/2.1 degree?

Thank you
Reply 1
The first, generic, response has to be that until results day you really don't know how things have turned out, so all of this could be needless worrying. It's much better to try not to think about things until you know how you've done, to save on being overly stressed. But I appreciate that's difficult. If your firm university accepts you, definitely don't do any retakes - A-levels are very much a means to an ends in terms of getting into a good university, and whilst employers will look at them it is only your degree grade which really carries any weight (although it may be worth asking why you've underachieved this time).

If you do miss your offer, there's no shame in retaking over the next year, provided you can offer a lot of extra work experience from that time and show the year has been worthwhile. Should you miss your offers, then you should be retaking. But as I said, try not to worry until you know how you've done.
Reply 2
If you dont get in to your firm or insurance and cant get into a decent one through clearing than i suppose it's the thing to do! I am applying for unis during my gap year so that i already know my results and im pretty sure i need to resit 2 maths modules. But i feel it's worth it (leeds wants A*A*A and i'd love to go there)

Quick Reply

Latest