The Student Room Group

PhD students: how are you going to call yourself?

Scroll to see replies

So I'd need two PhDs to be called "Dr. Happysmile, Ph.D" :wink:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
You can only have one, I believe. Unless you've got more than one PhD, then you can mention them both probably.

I'm not really sure if there are any laws regulating this kind of thing, though.

Mentioning more than one is just not in good taste, my dear man.

:tongue:

What if you're a qualified medical doctor with a PhD? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrSupernova

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'd be Dr Supernova, PhD. :cool:
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I think you need two PhDs to call yourself 'doctor, doctor!'.

http://wwwm.coventry.ac.uk/researchnet/cucv/Pages/Profile.aspx?profileID=990
Original post by MrSupernova

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then that would be okay! :tongue: Milk it for all it's worth. :wink:
Original post by WinterWind
I'm hoping to study history:biggrin: What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I studied History at undergrad. :smile: Thought about going to to postgrad study, but in the end I decided it wasn't for me. :smile:
Definitely Dr. :biggrin:
Reply 48
Dr! Actually I can't wait, it goes so well with my last name :biggrin: I'm gonna have even my parents call me that!
The boring answer is of course:

in my professional capacity I'll be called Dr J
in my private life I'll be Mrs J
They missed a good opportunity!

The name on their office door was indeed Dr Doctor.
Original post by Noble.
Yes, as if studying medicine is even remotely comparable to spending, nowadays, nearly 4 years after an undergraduate/masters doing your own research.

y u heff to be m4d?
I studied History at undergrad. :smile: Thought about going to to postgrad study, but in the end I decided it wasn't for me. :smile:

Wow cool! Just wondering how many hours a week you spent on reading during undergrad?:smile: And what subject are you going to do for postgrad?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow cool! Just wondering how many hours a week you spent on reading during undergrad?:smile: And what subject are you going to do for postgrad?:smile:

I treated my undergrad pretty much like a job, got up in the morning, had breakfast then got straight to it.. I guess I probably spent about 30-35 hours a week doing actual productive work (i.e, not browsing facebook...). I found that if I did that, I could still go out dancing every weekend without having to worry. :woo: :tongue:

It's good essential to make sure you read a wide variety of sources for your essays. :smile: I'd also recommend actually reading the readings they give you for seimnars/lectures. :tongue: Manage your workload properly to keep on top of it and you'll be fine! :smile:

I decided not to go for a postgrad in the end. :smile:
I treated my undergrad pretty much like a job, got up in the morning, had breakfast then got straight to it.. I guess I probably spent about 30-35 hours a week doing actual productive work (i.e, not browsing facebook...). I found that if I did that, I could still go out dancing every weekend without having to worry. :woo: :tongue:

It's good essential to make sure you read a wide variety of sources for your essays. :smile: I'd also recommend actually reading the readings they give you for seimnars/lectures. :tongue: Manage your workload properly to keep on top of it and you'll be fine! :smile:

I decided not to go for a postgrad in the end. :smile:

30-35 hours that's a lot of work!:eek: I guess I'll need to work harder since English isn't my first language (some people told me not do study a heavily essay-based subject because of it, but I believe I can overcome it with hard work and passion).:tongue:
Thanks for the advice! I haven't even started sixth form yet but I'm already looking forward to uni lol:biggrin:
Reply 55
30-35 hours that's a lot of work!:eek: I guess I'll need to work harder since English isn't my first language (some people told me not do study a heavily essay-based subject because of it, but I believe I can overcome it with hard work and passion).:tongue:
Thanks for the advice! I haven't even started sixth form yet but I'm already looking forward to uni lol:biggrin:

Depending on where you go to university, and what you study, 30-35 hours a week isn't really that much.
Original post by Noble.
Depending on where you go to university, and what you study, 30-35 hours a week isn't really that much.

Great. I guess it sounds more than it actually is:tongue:
Reply 57
I earned my PhD about a year ago and, while I prefer the Dr title, putting PhD after my name helps avoid the annoying (often passive aggressive) comments about not being a 'real' doctor.

Generally, I keep quiet about the title - unless a form asks me to specify Mr/Mrs/Dr and sometimes I use it for work (it's on my office door) and official letters.
I would probably be 'Dr.' for my job (not a medical doctor, but to qualify for the job I'm training to do, now you need a doctorate), then in my personal life I will probably be Miss/Mrs.

Although who knows when I actually get it if I'll officially change my title :tongue:
Original post by kkboyk
If I get a PhD I'd prefer Dr, it makes bad last names sound less bad.

I know a girl with the last name 'Dicks' and she's going medical school... I'd so rather call her Dr. Dicks.

But Miss Dicks would be so much better...

I think I would rather go with Dr than PhD, because there are actually a fair number of people who do not really know what a PhD is about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending