The Student Room Group

I don't get Jason Blaha's advice for teens.

He said teenagers should NEVER cut or even recomp, becuase it is detrimental to your development to spend even a few days of the week in a caloric and nutrient deficit.

Then he says you should cut if you are obese.

So what am i meant to do when i gain too much fat from bulking?
I will have another year left of lean bulking until im clinically obese.
well why are you putting on so much fat when you bulk? it's stupid and pointless. Cut back on your calories a bit.
Reply 2
Original post by commandant
well why are you putting on so much fat when you bulk? it's stupid and pointless. Cut back on your calories a bit.

I've gained 21 pounds over 9 months so far.
Its just hard to find an accurate calorie calculator.
(edited 9 years ago)
I lol at people who bulk and cut, if they are just regular gym goers
Reply 4
Original post by dasitmanedasit

your a miscer, you probably dont even lift

you pretty much have to gain fat to gain muscle and strength, especially if your skinny like me
Reply 5
Original post by Doob
I've gained 21 pounds over 9 months so far.
Its just hard to find an accurate calorie calculator.

Most calculators online are based on the Benedict formula which is outdated and in-accurate as it only works on average people. You want to find a calculator by Mifflin St Jeor which is more accurate.

The general equation for men are:

BMR =10×weight + 6.25×height - 5×age + 5 and then you calculate your total daily calories by the level of activity factor to reach your TDEE.
Reply 6
Original post by Jamie73
Most calculators online are based on the Benedict formula which is outdated and in-accurate as it only works on average people. You want to find a calculator by Mifflin St Jeor which is more accurate.

The general equation for men are:

BMR =10×weight + 6.25×height - 5×age + 5 and then you calculate your total daily calories by the level of activity factor to reach your TDEE.

I found this one, you can use 3 different formulas in 'Advanced Options'

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
Reply 7
Original post by Doob
I found this one, you can use 3 different formulas in 'Advanced Options'

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

That's fine but I prefer to use the actual formula on pen and paper because I know it hasn't been modified during the script development. People love to make things 'better' and usually end up getting it wrong.
Reply 8
Original post by Jamie73
That's fine but I prefer to use the actual formula on pen and paper because I know it hasn't been modified during the script development. People love to make things 'better' and usually end up getting it wrong.

what measurements are height and weight in, in the formula you presented?
Reply 9
Original post by Doob
what measurements are height and weight in, in the formula you presented?

You don't need to worry about that because it sounds more like you're asking about BMI. That formula is for your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) which is the amount of calories your body burns at rest so essentially comatose.
(edited 9 years ago)
my advice:

- eat
- if you're not gaining weight, eat a little more
- if you're gaining too much fat, cut back on the calories or introduce a little cardio

adjust your diet to how you look in the mirror and how you perform in the gym
Reply 11
Commandant has it pretty much bang on. If you want to gain weight, eat more than your body burns in a day. That's all there is to it. Have a rough idea of how many calories you're eating per day and make sure you're above maintenance by 300 calories each day. If you weigh your self at the end of each week and you're not gaining weight, add another 300 until you hit that magic number.

If you want to gain weight and bulk up, eat more and get into compound lifts (do your research and find someone who can help you with spotting and form).
Original post by commandant
my advice:

- eat
- if you're not gaining weight, eat a little more
- if you're gaining too much fat, cut back on the calories or introduce a little cardio

adjust your diet to how you look in the mirror and how you perform in the gym

Lol
No no, this is just common sense. It'll never work because the solution has to be much more complicated than this

/sarcasm

Never counted calories. Probably never will. Am definitely not fat. It's really not that hard to be reasonably lean without counting, but counting initially can be useful if you are clueless about how much to eat - just keep a log and adjust
Original post by dasitmanedasit

Fair enough if you're just training for strength, but if you're going to the gym for bodybuilding purposes, why not do everything properly just because you don't plan on competing? Half-arsing your diet will get you nowhere.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's fairly logical what he is saying. I.e. if you are of normal weight and want to bulk, firstly you should be eating enough calories to gain muscle, but not so much that you put on too much, if any fat. If you have put on a lot of fat, don't bother going on a cut diet where you are going to significantly reduce your calories like body builders do. Instead don't eat as much (which is different from cutting) to prevent any more fat build up. Eventually any fat you've gained will be lost if you keep training regularly without having to go into any calorie deficit cycle.

As for obese teenager, well they got that way because they were eating well above a normal range of calories in the first place, so for them a cut will just be them cutting their calories down to what they should be and they will lose the excess fat that way.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by silent ninja
Lol
No no, this is just common sense. It'll never work because the solution has to be much more complicated than this

/sarcasm

Never counted calories. Probably never will. Am definitely not fat. It's really not that hard to be reasonably lean without counting, but counting initially can be useful if you are clueless about how much to eat - just keep a log and adjust

This^^

I think a lot of people are unaware of how much or even how little calories are in what they eat. So for them calorie counting is a good way to keep track. Personally, I pretty much know just by what I'm eating if it will have a lot of calories in it hence I know how much to eat.

Quick Reply

Latest