The Student Room Group

University dropouts.

I'm currently deliberating dropping out of university for various reasons.
I'd be lying if I said that the thought of dropping out and living in 'the real world' horrifies me.
We live in such a pro university society that having a degree in your pocket is no longer a rarity but somewhat of an expectation. I only know of two people from my year group who didn't apply to go to university. Whereas when my parents were at school leaving age it was the other way around.
With this in mind, it very much worries me that my chances of having a successful career are restricted immensely.

I guess the reason I'm making this thread is to reach-out for some help and guidance. I'd be really interested in hearing from people whom also dropped out of Uni or didn't attend a Uni altogether and find out what you're doing now and whether you regret it?

You hear horror stories of students graduating from Uni and then spending months unemployed or having to pursue a different career because jobs are so scarce at the moment. If it's hard for graduates to get a job, I can't imagine what it must surely be like for people who don't have a degree.

I don't want to end up in a dead end job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Weevle
I'd be lying if I said that the thought of dropping out and living in 'the real world' horrifies me.
We live in such a pro university society that having a degree in your pocket is no longer a rarity but somewhat of an expectation. I only know of two people from my year group who didn't apply to go to university. Whereas when my parents were at school leaving age it was the other way around.
With this in mind, it very much worries me that my chances of having a successful career are restricted immensely.

I guess the reason I'm making this thread is to reach-out for some help and guidance. I'd be really interested in hearing from people whom also dropped out of Uni or didn't attend a Uni altogether and find out what you're doing now and whether you regret it?

You hear horror stories of students graduating from Uni and then spending months unemployed or having to pursue a different career because jobs are so scarce at the moment. If it's hard for graduates to get a job, I can't imagine what it must surely be like for people who don't have a degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We need more information. What course do you do/what's your ideal job?
Reply 2
Ok this straight up pisses me off. Not YOU, but the fact that people are so afraid of attempting 'life' without a university education. Degrees really don't guarantee jobs anymore- but they do guarantee crippling debt for almost everyone. It's such a shame that society pushes this attitude of 'uni or nothing' on people in Britain these days.

Anyway, rant over. I think it depends VERY much on what you're studying to do. I went to university after being pressured constantly through sixth form that I should- and I did animation. I got into one of the top uni's for my course and it started off being really amazing and exciting. But after a year, I quickly realised that it wasn't what I really wanted to do. I'd been pressured to make a decision and suddenly I knew it wasn't what I wanted. Despite everyone telling me to stick with it, I dropped out. I didn't want to bury myself in student loans for a course I wasn't 100% excited about.
When I left, I was unemployed for a month or so. I pulled myself together, though, and started working freelance as an artist. I made very little money but the experience I got was worth far more than my time at uni. After 6 months of this, working hard to prove myself, getting experience and filling up my CV, I got a full-time job as a video game artist. It was what I always wanted to do, and I wouldn't have achieved it if I had stayed at university. Well, maybe I would have, but it would have taken a lot longer and cost me a hideous amount of money.

This is just my personal experience, but I just want to emphasise my point that university is NOT necessary if you are dedicated and have a passion for what you do. I can't say the same about careers in math or science, as I imagine education is a lot more important- but just from my experience.
Original post by Weevle

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's actually probably easier. I graduated 2 years ago (2.1 from a decent university) and have gone from dead end job to unemployment and back again more times than I can remember. I currently work in manual labor for min wage - none of my work mates have degrees. It depends what circles you run in/what line of work you're in. I appreciate my job since I know what it's like not to have one and to have to rely on state handouts BUT if I knew this job/ones like it were my only options for the near future...I don't know how I'd force myself to get out of bed in the morning.

I'm applying to postgrad studies to pursue a grad career which NEEDS postgrad training. I could not do that without a degree. I'm in crap work on rubbish pay BUT my degree is the light at the end of the tunnel - it will eventually open up some options for me.

Whatever way you play it, you're going to end up in the real world at some point or other. At the moment it's a tough place to be - I won't sugar coat it. It's been a massive shock for me from going from lecture halls in an intellectual institution to doing manual labor in the pouring rain (or blistering heat, more recently) for minimum wage. Whether you end up in retail/office/manual labor - it's not going to be a smooth and comfortable transition straight out of uni. My advice - don't put yourself in full time work any sooner than you need to. Get the highest level of education that you possibly can - you might think it's going to be worthless since so many grads are unemployed or, in my case underemployed BUT we are in a recession and most of us are striving for something better. I have no intention of making a career of this - my degree is my one ticket out and I'll find a way to use it if it takes all I have.

Honestly, uni takes 3 years - it's nothing compared to the 40+ years you'll have to work until your retirement. I would advise that you don't give up on it now as it gets much harder to get back into education as you get older and get more responsibilities/financial constraints. I actually created a thread on here a few years ago about dropping out of uni - I'm not sure how I managed to drag myself through my 3rd year, but I did and I'm glad I stuck it out because my degree is going to help me move forwards.

Personally, a degree does NOT guarantee success BUT it sure as hell helps - especially if you realize the only way out is further study - then you will NEED your undergrad.

Regarding not wanting to be in a 'dead end' job - maybe I've lost my definition of that now. So long as I'm happy and can pay my bills, I don't really mind what my title is. I've had office work that was supposedly grad level and challenging but I found it soulless. My current work, although physically draining, unskilled and not particularly well regarded doesn't mentally exhaust me or make me question my whole life.

It's a case of finding work that suits your personality that pays a livable wage and that you can progress in (if progression is what you want). Without a degree, you're looking at all the regular stuff on 'indeed'/'reed' etc which is MOSTLY retail, low level admin (usually requires prev experience), manual labor/factory/cleaning/care work, coffee shops/fast food stores or NHS (admin/Health Care Assistants) or the Army.
None of that inspired me, personally - I went with the option that best suited my personality since the pay rates are pretty much the same (**** all).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Dr DaMan
We need more information. What course do you do/what's your ideal job?

I'm currently studying Law but I'm really not enjoying the course and this was highlighted by disappointing exam results. (I'm a first year) I was looking at transferring but, and this answers your second question; I have no idea what I want to do in life. Thus I didn't want to transfer to another course for the sake of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending