The Student Room Group

Are you scared to walk at night?

I walk home alone at midnight sometimes from work and I always feel anxious although it's literally 5 minutes walk home I live in nice area thats a close knit community , If I see a man walking behind me I get really nervous. Do you think the media plays up the stranger-danger thing or it's generally unsafe to walk at night? Do you get scared of walking at night?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by vickidc18
I walk home alone at midnight sometimes from work and I always feel anxious although it's literally 5 minutes walk home I live in nice area thats a close knit community , If I see a man walking behind me I get really nervous. Do you think the media plays up the stranger-danger thing or it's generally unsafe to walk at night? Do you get scared of walking at night?

I'm a guy and I get scared walking late at night, I'm afraid of getting mugged or attacked. I think the media plays it up a little, like everything else. But I also think people should be cautious!
Where abouts do you live?
No I'm in Cambridge lol.

Having said that, one girl crossed the road just to avoid walking past me at 1am once. I felt a bit mugged off but I understand.
Na I go for late night walks and runs even though I live in an area that's not exactly amazing
Reply 5
sometimes, im a fairly fast runner though

walking home stoned out of your mind is pretty terrifying though, you are sitting duck for muggers, plus time goes very slowly...
Reply 6
When I lived with my mum, I wasn't too scared to walk alone at night as we lived in a quiet and respectable neighbourhood, I obviously still had to keep my wits about me though.

Now that I live with my partner in a dodgy part of town, I refuse to go out myself at night, especially in the winter when it gets dark really early. My partner wouldn't let me walk out in the dark anyway. We live near pubs and the town centre so there's always gangs, drunks or people looking for trouble lurking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Through the trails which are pitch black woods, yes it's f*cking scary. Saves about 10/15 minutes though.
Nah. I always think to myself I'm probably more dangerous than anyone else I'll encounter. Especially growing up in a crappy area lol.

edit: also I was the fastest 100 and 200 metre sprinter in my school. So if I encounter a group I could run away pretty easily.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by morethanafeeling
Where abouts do you live?

I live in Cheshire in a small town surrounded by countryside it's a nice place to live I was brought up in Manchester though so thats probably why I'm weird about it.
Original post by bittr n swt
No I'm in Cambridge lol.

Having said that, one girl crossed the road just to avoid walking past me at 1am once. I felt a bit mugged off but I understand.

Cambridge is lovely but there are a lot of homeless people.
Walking late at night is quite relaxing when it's almost perfectly quiet but if I heard footsteps I'd **** my pants
No I'm in Cambridge lol.

Do you go to Cambridge uni or do you just live there?
Original post by xmertic
I'm a guy and I get scared walking late at night, I'm afraid of getting mugged or attacked. I think the media plays it up a little, like everything else. But I also think people should be cautious!

Are you sure you're a guy? Double check please.
Original post by idelaghetto
Through the trails which are pitch black woods, yes it's f*cking scary. Saves about 10/15 minutes though.

ye walking home in woods at night is scary for sure though. Might be ghosts lmao. Blare witch project. :eek:
I live in Cheshire in a small town surrounded by countryside it's a nice place to live I was brought up in Manchester though so thats probably why I'm weird about it.

Cambridge is lovely but there are a lot of homeless people.

Lucky you
Original post by ArrogantGenius
Do you go to Cambridge uni or do you just live there?
Are you sure you're a guy? Double check please.

I just live here but will be going to Leeds uni. Love Cambridge but I need something new. It was either firm a London uni or Leeds and I went with Leeds.
I live in East London and I used to walk at midnight and stuff.
I think widely circulating ideas like 'every man is a potential rapist' has caused a downward spiral of fear and paranoia within society, with men being demonized and women being told that a potential threat is around every corner, as mentioned in your OP where you state you get scared whenever a man is walking behind you. I am not scared to walk home at night because I do not think the chance of me being mugged, stabbed, murdered, raped is a high enough possibility for me to be concerned about.
I just live here but will be going to Leeds uni. Love Cambridge but I need something new. It was either firm a London uni or Leeds and I went with Leeds.

Oh - got excited for a moment, then I just realised you were yet another average student.
Same Walking alone as a girl is scary!!!

YES. omg. You should see me when that happens, my eyes are darting all over the place, I'm thinking should I get my phone out and ring someone but no that's paranoid but am i being paranoid but should i get it out but if i get it out will he mug me but being mugged is better than being raped.. then I'll turn around and see he's still behind me and continue thinking mental thoughts like this until I turn around and realise I'm alone.. and I'm happy.. for like a minute.. but then I think WHAT IF HE'S WAITING TO POUNCE OUT FROM BEHIND A TREE.. yeah I'm insane.

I definitely feel as a girl, not as safe as my guy friends do at night..
I always get someone to walk me when I can..

Latest