Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone on here ever attempted or completed a marathon? If so, how long did you train for it? After watching the London Marathon yesterday I'm really keen on entering next year (another one of my crazy ideas ) Has anyone else ever considered doing it?

ReputationRep:
    I decided yesterday that I want to do it too..

Hopefully I'll snap out of it.

ReputationRep:
    :cool: Cool- just a passing phase then? or are you serious?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely want to do it next year. After seeing my mate do it yesterday I was so impressed. Waiting at embankment (25 mile marker) and seeing him fly past looking fine, I dont think ive been so impressed before in all my life. True achivement. He did it in 3.57.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    :cool: Cool- just a passing phase then? or are you serious?
    Hehe, passing probably.

I'm just thinking how cool it'd be to say "I've done the London Marathon", not actually the doing it...

ReputationRep:
    Its quite difficult to get accepted onto because so many people want to do it. My next door neighbours daughter runs alot of events throughout the year but she got rejected for London last year.
    Your best to work up to it with some half marathons and there are a few other charity marathons you could run in to work up to it.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/running/runningevents/

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that's a good time! How did he train for it?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, but the bloke who came second in the wheelchair race lives on my estate.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the warning! I've already done 2 mini-marathons.. but they weren't nationally recognised events so I'm not sure they'll count. I always thought that you anyone could enter the London Marathon.. I mean you always see the odd granny walking it?.. hmm..

ReputationRep:
    I have done the Bath half marathon twice, and got one hour 45 last year and one hour 35 this year. Unless you do a serious amount of training i would seriously recommed doing a half marathon or a 10k before you even think about doing the marathon. You want to be running about 10 miles regularly if you want to be able to do the 26 miles confortablely.

On the other issue, it is notoriously difficult to get a place from what i have read about the London Marathon. The best chance you have of doing it is through a charity. However this means you have to raise a set amount for the selected charity. I don't know how much it is that London Marathon requires chairties to raise however for the Bath Half you had to raise £300.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Thanks for the warning! I've already done 2 mini-marathons.. but they weren't nationally recognised events so I'm not sure they'll count. I always thought that you anyone could enter the London Marathon.. I mean you always see the odd granny walking it?.. hmm..
    Anyone can enter but I think that they get more applications than people they can have doing the race because they cant allow an unlimited amount of people to do it. I imagine that the trick is to enter your application early and show that you have done over events to prepare I;m sure some mini marathons would be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Has anyone on here ever attempted or completed a marathon? If so, how long did you train for it? After watching the London Marathon yesterday I'm really keen on entering next year (another one of my crazy ideas ) Has anyone else ever considered doing it?
    I did the London Marathon with my school for Eagle Aid a couple of years ago with others from my school and some teachers. I didn't train as such as I knew I could do the distance but a lot of people got up early and went on long runs to get their stamina up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    I did the London Marathon with my school for Eagle Aid a couple of years ago with others from my school and some teachers. I didn't train as such as I knew I could do the distance but a lot of people got up early and went on long runs to get their stamina up.
    what time did you get?

ReputationRep:
    do the great north run... half marathon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    what time did you get?
    Just over 5 hours. Me and my mate had to carry a big Eagle Aid banner thing too

ReputationRep:
    My friend's sister qualified for the adidas london mini marathon.

ReputationRep:
    my friend is training for next year, i sometimes go with him. he did 18 miles in 3 hours the other week which i reckon is pretty good for over a year away.

my godmother's brother came in the top 10 for the london marathon regularly in the 80s and was meant to be in the commonwealth games in edinburgh in 1986, but was ill and ended up missing it.
    lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Just over 5 hours. Me and my mate had to carry a big Eagle Aid banner thing too
    oh unlucky people who wear constumes must find it so hard.

however given that they get respect. quote from the paper this morning on the man city southampton game
    Steve McManaman was withdrawn with a hamstring problem but could have limped through the remainder of the game without his lack of mobility standing out. Viewers of yesterday's London Marathon will have seen greater mobility from a 7ft Rhino than those here got from Paul Bosvelt in his 60 minutes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    oh unlucky people who wear constumes must find it so hard.

however given that they get respect. quote from the paper this morning on the man city southampton game
    We didn't wear a costume we just had a big banner with the Eagle Aid logo on. I could have cut my time by more than an hour if I went for it properly, we had to stick in a group, but that suited me

ReputationRep:
    We didn't wear a costume we just had a big banner with the Eagle Aid logo on. I could have cut my time by more than an hour if I went for it properly, we had to stick in a group, but that suited me
    i miss your old avatar :cool: how old are you joey?

lou xxx

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2004
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.