The Student Room Group

Henna hair dye. Please help

So I've dyed my hair with henna. It was meant to be a darker shade than it is (I'm currently ginger) but as much as I do like the colour I'm not 100% sure it suits me. Anyway, I was just wondering how long it lasts? I have read up on it but everywhere says something different and I'm having a minor panic because I don't want to have to end up growing it out because my hair grows slowly. My natural hair colour is light brown if that helps at all. Thank you so much, I just need some reassurance xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I believe it depends on the type of Henna.
Reply 2
Original post by Helllie
So I've dyed my hair with henna. It was meant to be a darker shade than it is (I'm currently ginger) but as much as I do like the colour I'm not 100% sure it suits me. Anyway, I was just wondering how long it lasts? I have read up on it but everywhere says something different and I'm having a minor panic because I don't want to have to end up growing it out because my hair grows slowly. My natural hair colour is light brown if that helps at all. Thank you so much, I just need some reassurance xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends, but it'll start fading in about 2 weeks. Just keep applying every month, it's good for your hair anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Okay, thank you. It was from lush so they gave me loads of advice and stuff but I failed to ask how long it would last, stupidly. It was the maroon something one. Haha, that makes no sense, the one under the super red :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Why dye your hair? No need for henna, dark hair is nice :u:
Reply 5
Original post by TheBBQ
Why dye your hair? No need for henna, dark hair is nice :u:

Henna makes hair darker

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by arfah
Henna makes hair darker

Posted from TSR Mobile

It does? I thought lighter because I get accused of using henna where I have red/brown hair :hmmm:
Reply 7
Original post by TheBBQ
It does? I thought lighter because I get accused of using henna where I have red/brown hair :hmmm:

It does seem like it'll make your hair lighter. Henna is deceiving though, it made my hair darker and it took a whole year to fade away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by arfah
It does seem like it'll make your hair lighter. Henna is deceiving though, it made my hair darker and it took a whole year to fade away.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh :K: that's strange then! Btw did you clear your inbox?
Reply 9
Original post by TheBBQ
Oh :K: that's strange then! Btw did you clear your inbox?

Why? There's no need to pm me, just quote me if you have anything to say to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by arfah
Why? There's no need to pm me, just quote me if you have anything to say to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wanted to PM but last time I tried it said your inbox was full and your wall wouldn't let me psot :redface:
Reply 11
Original post by TheBBQ
I wanted to PM but last time I tried it said your inbox was full and your wall wouldn't let me psot :redface:

I dont want to get into an argument again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used lush henna for 2 years but stopped in the end because I found it too much hassle.
The colour will lose its intensity but it won't fade out completely. Chemical hair dyes only coat the hair but henna actually penetrates the shaft so it's near impossible to get rid of.
This is going to sound really stupid but did you definitely buy the right colour? Just they all look very similar and I did once accidentally grab the wrong one and not realise til I'd put it on.
My hair is naturally a mousey brown and I used maron mostly and rouge once. Maron gave me a lovely dark brown with a red tint. Rouge made me very ginger (my sister said I looked like a red setter). Even with light brown I'm not sure why it would go ginger, they say lighter hair is more likely to go red (which is why it's not recommended for blonde or grey hair) but it shouldn't happen to this degree with brown hair.

It'd help to see photos of before and after but from my experience if you have lighter hair it's a nightmare to get rid of. With darker hair you can use a darker henna and then the new growth blends in quite nicely. If your natural colour isn't close to the henna colour it's more difficult. Because it's inside the hair the colour never really goes completely, it just reduces in intensity but obviously if your natural colour is nowhere near the original colour than you'll still get awful roots. In the end I dyed over mine using chemical dyes. Seeing as it's not black henna it's safe to do but obviously do a strand test first. Dyeing over it worked but even a year after when I used that colour b4 stuff to see what I was working with the henna was still very obvious. I wouldn't recommend trying to bleach it out. I did find a blog post where a woman had managed it but it took repeated bleaching and she had very thick hair which was so damaged from all the bleaching that lots fell out. If you don't want to keep the ginger brun might be a closer match to your own hair?

Sorry I didn't have better news, henna makes your hair so shiny and gorgeous but it's not easy to get rid of.
Reply 13
Original post by Jezebelle
I used lush henna for 2 years but stopped in the end because I found it too much hassle.
The colour will lose its intensity but it won't fade out completely. Chemical hair dyes only coat the hair but henna actually penetrates the shaft so it's near impossible to get rid of.
This is going to sound really stupid but did you definitely buy the right colour? Just they all look very similar and I did once accidentally grab the wrong one and not realise til I'd put it on.
My hair is naturally a mousey brown and I used maron mostly and rouge once. Maron gave me a lovely dark brown with a red tint. Rouge made me very ginger (my sister said I looked like a red setter). Even with light brown I'm not sure why it would go ginger, they say lighter hair is more likely to go red (which is why it's not recommended for blonde or grey hair) but it shouldn't happen to this degree with brown hair.

It'd help to see photos of before and after but from my experience if you have lighter hair it's a nightmare to get rid of. With darker hair you can use a darker henna and then the new growth blends in quite nicely. If your natural colour isn't close to the henna colour it's more difficult. Because it's inside the hair the colour never really goes completely, it just reduces in intensity but obviously if your natural colour is nowhere near the original colour than you'll still get awful roots. In the end I dyed over mine using chemical dyes. Seeing as it's not black henna it's safe to do but obviously do a strand test first. Dyeing over it worked but even a year after when I used that colour b4 stuff to see what I was working with the henna was still very obvious. I wouldn't recommend trying to bleach it out. I did find a blog post where a woman had managed it but it took repeated bleaching and she had very thick hair which was so damaged from all the bleaching that lots fell out. If you don't want to keep the ginger brun might be a closer match to your own hair?

Sorry I didn't have better news, henna makes your hair so shiny and gorgeous but it's not easy to get rid of.

Thank you, it does seem to have faded a fair bit in the past week. But it's mainly in the natural sun light that i'm ginger, in some lights it just looks normal. The main thing was that i have very blonde baby hair at the front which frizzes up and that was the bit that went crazy orange, but honestly it seems to have dulled down fairly quickly. I must say i sort of miss it. Thank you though. i'm still pretty gingery though :smile:
Hi,

Henna is a natural hair color or conditioner and good for hairs. I use it for a long period of time and provides good result. Normally it starts fading after 2 or 3 weeks. If you don't want to wait for natural fading then try some different hair color.
Reply 15
Heena is an very good extract for hair which makes our hair glow.

Quick Reply

Latest