The Student Room Group

Living alone costs etc

Hello,

I hope this is the right section to post this.

I am moving away in September from Liverpool to Burton on Trent to go to college, I will also be in full time employment, I have family members who live up there but there is no way that I'd able to stay with them forever, so I would want to find my own place.

After looking at properties online to rent I've found that the average prices for a 1-2 bedroom apartment are around £400-450 per month.

I was wondering whether anybody knows or have experienced living alone and tell me on average how much their utility bills cost, living expenses etc.

I have read that students don't have to pay council tax, but I am still unsure about how much roughly each month it would cost to live on my own.

Thanks guys
Original post by WoodChuckk
Hello,

I am moving away in September from Liverpool to Burton on Trent to go to college, I will also be in full time employment, I have family members who live up there but there is no way that I'd able to stay with them forever, so I would want to find my own place.

After looking at properties online to rent I've found that the average prices for a 1-2 bedroom apartment are around £400-450 per month.

I was wondering whether anybody knows or have experienced living alone and tell me on average how much their utility bills cost, living expenses etc.

I have read that students don't have to pay council tax, but I am still unsure about how much roughly each month it would cost to live on my own.

Thanks guys

Hey, I can't shed much light on living expenses but I just wanted to ask will you be in college full time? Because if it's classed as part time you won't be exempt from council tax though if you live on your own you will get a 25% discount.

https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/council-tax-exemptions
Reply 2
Hello,

Thanks guys

I pay:

£19/month water
£40/month Electricity (I pay a lot more now, but that's due to underfloor heating and large Marine fish tanks etc)
£18/month Gas
£15/month Insurance
£20/month - phone and internet
Reply 3
I think the course is full time yeah, I know it's 3 days a week and it'll be a LEVEL 3 Creative Media Production BTEC course so I assume that is classed as full time though, i'm not too sure.
Reply 4
Original post by samba
I pay:

£19/month water
£40/month Electricity (I pay a lot more now, but that's due to underfloor heating and large Marine fish tanks etc)
£18/month Gas
£15/month Insurance
£20/month - phone and internet

Thank-you for your reply, how do you find living on your own? Do you think it's stressful having to sort out all of the bills etc?
I think the course is full time yeah, I know it's 3 days a week and it'll be a LEVEL 3 Creative Media Production BTEC course so I assume that is classed as full time though, i'm not too sure.

https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/full-time-students

ahh I see, well for your sake I hope it's classed as full time :tongue:
that link states that for it to class as full time it must be 21 or more hours a week and last at least a year.
Reply 6
Thank-you for your reply, how do you find living on your own? Do you think it's stressful having to sort out all of the bills etc?

Nah, everything just comes out by direct debit once you have it setup, and you don't even have to think about it. Unless you're really planning on living on the edge (by that I mean always having to check if you have enough in your account to pay the bills or pay for the shopping,) it's absolutely fine. Car insurance I'd pay anually if I was you though.

I honestly couldn't even tell you what day of the month each/any bill gets paid lol.

A couple of tips:

- Don't lock yourself into a phone&broadband contract longer than 12 months. You'll want to switch every 12 months for the snazzy offers.
- Virgin do a sim only 'unlimited calls' for £12 a month. (think orange/ee do similar too) Best to just get that and not bother with a home phone calls bundle
- Pay everything by direct debit
- Use uswitch for best deals
Reply 7
Original post by samba
Nah, everything just comes out by direct debit once you have it setup, and you don't even have to think about it. Unless you're really planning on living on the edge (by that I mean always having to check if you have enough in your account to pay the bills or pay for the shopping,) it's absolutely fine. Car insurance I'd pay anually if I was you though.

I honestly couldn't even tell you what day of the month each/any bill gets paid lol.

A couple of tips:

- Don't lock yourself into a phone&broadband contract longer than 12 months. You'll want to switch every 12 months for the snazzy offers.
- Virgin do a sim only 'unlimited calls' for £12 a month. (think orange/ee do similar too) Best to just get that and not bother with a home phone calls bundle
- Pay everything by direct debit
- Use uswitch for best deals

Thanks so much guys I really appreciate the help, I'm a bit nervous but excited at the same time, one again I appreciate the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending