Applying for english uni from southern hemisphere

Watch
benlyn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi there,
Just wondering if anyone has had experience in applying for an English university from the Southern Hemisphere as I get my results in January... when do I start applying?

Thanks for your help in advance.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by benlyn)
Hi there,
Just wondering if anyone has had experience in applying for an English university from the Southern Hemisphere as I get my results in January... when do I start applying?

UCAS opens for new applications in September. Have a look at http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/undergraduate.
benlyn
Rep:
?
Hi there thanks for response but I'm still a bit confused because I understand in England people get conditional offers based on what their results will be. I will have already gotten my results so I'm wondering if they'll give me a direct offer or will it still be the same as a student in England?
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there thanks for response but I'm still a bit confused because I understand in England people get conditional offers based on what their results will be. I will have already gotten my results so I'm wondering if they'll give me a direct offer or will it still be the same as a student in England?
Your first post said you would get your results in January, not that you already had them.

In this case, research universities and what grades they expect you to have, then apply to those whose conditions you meet. You could pick one with slightly higher requirements on the basis that they might like your reference and personal statement and take you anyway.

A substantial minority of UK students apply after A-levels using the same strategy.
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there,

When in January will you get your results? You will still have to apply before the deadline for equal consideration- which may be before you get your results, and you can start applying from September.

If you apply before your results, you will get a conditional offer which should change to unconditional or unsuccessful as soon as the universities are aware of your results (so earlier than the majority of UK students). If you wait until you have your results to apply, you should be given either unconditional offers or rejected straight away.

As you will find out your results earlier than most students, if you don't do as well as expected, you may be able to find a place via UCAS extra once you have your results.
benlyn
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Your first post said you would get your results in January, not that you already had them.

In this case, research universities and what grades they expect you to have, then apply to those whose conditions you meet. You could pick one with slightly higher requirements on the basis that they might like your reference and personal statement and take you anyway.

A substantial minority of UK students apply after A-levels using the same strategy.
Hi there,

Sorry you may have misread me but I said I will have had my results by January not that I already had them. Not to worry thanks for your help though.
benlyn
Rep:
?
(Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
When in January will you get your results? You will still have to apply before the deadline for equal consideration- which may be before you get your results, and you can start applying from September.

If you apply before your results, you will get a conditional offer which should change to unconditional or unsuccessful as soon as the universities are aware of your results (so earlier than the majority of UK students). If you wait until you have your results to apply, you should be given either unconditional offers or rejected straight away.

As you will find out your results earlier than most students, if you don't do as well as expected, you may be able to find a place via UCAS extra once you have your results.
Hi,

I'm not sure the exact date in January but it will be towards the end of the month. I understood that I had to apply before the deadline I was just a bit confused over when I would find out if I got a place or not because UK students would be finding out their results 6 months after.

Thanks for your help.
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi,

I'm not sure the exact date in January but it will be towards the end of the month. I understood that I had to apply before the deadline I was just a bit confused over when I would find out if I got a place or not because UK students would be finding out their results 6 months after.

Thanks for your help.
The UCAS deadline is normally in the middle of January, so you probably won't be able to apply with your results.

Although it sometimes seems like there is one main results day in the UK, lots of students don't do A-levels, or need a GCSE resit to get into uni, so find out about their places at different times. There are also lots of international students with different results days.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads