The Student Room Group

Is anyone on cerelle contraceptive mini pill? Opinions?

The nurse has given me this mini pill to start when I get my next period. I have read a lot of bad things about it online such as headaches, heavy bleeding, horrible mood swings etc. I am now really nervous to start it. What is your experience with it?

Scroll to see replies

I have been on it for coming up to 2 months now, I haven't had any headache or mood swings but have found my period started earlier than expected and carried on very lightly for an extra week, it wasn't any heavier than normal at the start but it carried on for close to 2 weeks, my period this month, touch wood, seems to be coming to an end a lot quicker. I saw a nurse about a month after starting for another reason and mentioned it to her and she said it was normal and if it carried on for the next few months to go back as there may be something else which suits me better.

I would recommend downloading the My OC app it recommends on the packaging if you think you may forget to take it exactly on time, I found it was very easy to forget but the app helps
Reply 2
Original post by shortgiraffe
I have been on it for coming up to 2 months now, I haven't had any headache or mood swings but have found my period started earlier than expected and carried on very lightly for an extra week, it wasn't any heavier than normal at the start but it carried on for close to 2 weeks, my period this month, touch wood, seems to be coming to an end a lot quicker. I saw a nurse about a month after starting for another reason and mentioned it to her and she said it was normal and if it carried on for the next few months to go back as there may be something else which suits me better.

I would recommend downloading the My OC app it recommends on the packaging if you think you may forget to take it exactly on time, I found it was very easy to forget but the app helps

Thank you for the information. It's nice not to hear negative things about it! I took my first pill today but it is 14 days until my period. It is advised to wait until the first day of your period to start it but I couldn't wait. The nurse said to me that if I couldn't wait until the first day of my period and took it before that I would need to wait 7 days for it be effective, was this mentioned to you as well?

I downloaded the app as soon as I took my first pill. I was straight on it lol!:smile:
I've been in cerazette/cerrelle for 8 months now and after one normal period they stopped completely and my friend who is also on it experienced this too! I haven't had any mood swings or weight gain, just slight breast tenderness and my skin actually seems clearer. I take a pregnancy test every month now just to make sure, this is the only slight inconvenience but I would recommend it. Also unlike the combined pill you can take your pill up to 12 hours late and it still be effective so great if you're forgetful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by catscott94
I've been in cerazette/cerrelle for 8 months now and after one normal period they stopped completely and my friend who is also on it experienced this too! I haven't had any mood swings or weight gain, just slight breast tenderness and my skin actually seems clearer. I take a pregnancy test every month now just to make sure, this is the only slight inconvenience but I would recommend it. Also unlike the combined pill you can take your pill up to 12 hours late and it still be effective so great if you're forgetful

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow that actually doesn't sound too bad! Do you have an answer for my question above about the 7 day effectiveness?
With any contraceptive it takes up to a week for the hormones to be effectively working in order to stop an egg being fertilised. So you have to use other contraception in those seven days to avoid pregnancy risk! Hope it helped

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been on cerelle/cerazette for around a year and a half now and have had no periods whatsoever (blessing!). I do have some mood swings but I also suffer from anxiety so that doesn't help things. Apart from some slight weight gain (nothing noticeable) this pill has worked for me, it is also pretty effective against pregnancy in my experience but as always, use a condom with it! As said before, my GP said that I have to take it continuously (no breaks) at the same time everyday, but I can go 12 hours over the time that I usually take it. It did break me out at first, but then my skin settled down and now my skin is really flawless! You need to push through that stage because it is worth it. My GP also said that it would take 5-7 days to kick in as a contraceptive but I would take a pregnancy test regularly if you're sexually active as you won't have periods (in my case anyway) so don't have that to fall on. Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by LizzyR
The nurse has given me this mini pill to start when I get my next period. I have read a lot of bad things about it online such as headaches, heavy bleeding, horrible mood swings etc. I am now really nervous to start it. What is your experience with it?

I have been on it since April 2013.

I have had a few headaches but they are mostly caused by staying up very late whilst on the laptop with little sleep, I have hardly any bleeding at all - when I do its very little. I rarely have proper periods; I don't get mood swings but I am more aggressive; I have no cramps what so ever or any of the nasty things that come with periods - I would recommend it.

BUT every woman is different. You must remember that. You may get different symptoms - you just have to try it out.
the doctor gave me cerelle after my cilest pill was giving me migraines.. I been taking it for about two weeks and I keep getting hot fuzzy headaches but I don't really mind because I am loosing weight like no body loll I haven't had no periods thank god!
Take it on first day of period= effective immediately

Take it on any other day=no protection for the first 7 days

You have a 12hour window with the combined pill also.

Mini pills window used to be 3 hours but they changed it to 12. Taking it at the same time prevents breakthrough bleeding though. So best to take it around the same time each day.

My experience if it was awful. I bleed non stop for 2.5 months, had awful skin and mood swings and I put on 5kg
I started it two days ago and it seems to be going better than the last one I was on. Although I have gone off my food since taking it, not sure if it's a coincidence or not though.
I've been on Cerelle for 8 weeks now and it's brilliant I do not have any problem I am still having periods but they are lighter with no pain and shorter!! Going on the mini pill was the best decision for me after being on celest with no problems but had to change because I had turned 36 and gp wasn't happy for me to stay on the combined pill..... Good luck x
Original post by LizzyR

i have been on the Dianette pill that helps me to balance my hormone level also my periods are also irregular so this helps me to get my periods regular... i ate this pill for a month the day i start bleeding... i take the pill after the bleeding start then take for a month. i stop bleeding on the 3rd day because the pill makes me to stop bleed as soon i take it.... then i take it for a month and than break in 7 days and again on the 7th starts bleed and then take pill to make me bleed regular time.
first when i took it my bp was soooo higgggghhhhh but afterwards my system get used to it.
now i am not taking it anymore its only for 2 yrs. no more thn 2 yrs otherwise high risk of breast cancer and blood clot and i dont wanna get any of these:wink:
Hi, i've been using cerelle for half a year now and its great, but I worry that I don't have a period at all. Do you have a break after you finished all three month packs? Thank you for your help
Reply 14
No you don't have a break. Not having a period is normal. I've been on cerelle since August and I've had one period. It says that some girls will have period, spotting, irregular bleeding or no bleeding at all. Youre totally fine :smile:
I was put onto Cerelle after being on Cerazette for years. I was told Cerelle was the exact same pill as Cerazette, just different branding. I had no problems on Cerazette, no periods, no headaches, spots, etc. But when I went onto Cerelle my periods didn't stop, I was bleeding at random times on and off for months and just had an awful experience with it considering it was meant to be exactly the same as the previous pill.

Everyone is different though and reacts differently to the pill. I would try it and see what happens.
Reply 16
I've been on cerazette for about 7 months and it's a night mare bad skin weight gain( 1 stone) rashes under my boobs.always tired no motivation stopped taking it know off to doctors as sick of it
Hello, I'm nearing 17 years old, I have been taking the 12 hour pill for about 8 weeks, I normally take it everyday at different hours but never after 12, I had sex with my boyfriend without a condom, he came inside me, do you think I can get pregnant? Please help me
Original post by Cintiajanett
Hello, I'm nearing 17 years old, I have been taking the 12 hour pill for about 8 weeks, I normally take it everyday at different hours but never after 12, I had sex with my boyfriend without a condom, he came inside me, do you think I can get pregnant? Please help me

Very unlikely, it's like 1% or something, I wouldn't worry about it seeing as you haven't taken 2 pills at once because you missed one or taken it late but if your period is late (don't expect to be regular on this pill though) then I'd take a test just to put your mind at rest.
Hi, I have been on the combined pill loestrin20 but have been moved onto cerelle today because I suffer from migraines and had an increased chance of bleeding on the brain. Is it less effective than the combined pill? And will the side effects be worse? I feel worried that I may not have a period because that's how I know that I'm not pregnant.... ?

Quick Reply

Latest