The Student Room Group

Black Culture is the new black.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Copperknickers
What rubbish. If African Americans don't want their culture stolen, they should stop shoving it in everyone's faces in every Hollywood film since 1975.

Whose culture should they display in films then? Or they just shouldn't make movies? Im genuinely asking :s-smilie:
Brilliant article, I have too much experience with crap like this. A gay white guy at my high school thought he was my "sista" and too many of my friends here in England still think it's cool to act "ghetto" around me even though I'm an oreo. Stereotypical African American hood rat culture is not something that should be imitated imo, it's just irritating af
Seems like a lot of fuss over pretty much nothing tbh
Oh come on. She's practically clinging to the hierarchies that she is supposedly shunning. Like, i get where she's coming from, and i totally appreciate a black woman being heard, and no, i do see that racism in US is not only alive but thriving. But that's the problem. She wants to get rid of it, but when "white gay" men are somewhat blurring the lines between "black" and "white" culture, she can't stand it.

Hun, you can't have it both ways. Someone is making the first step to step out of racial confines, and just because you have to give up your racial...i don't know, identity?...first, doesn't make it wrong. And the things she lists as "black culture" aren't things to be proud of, or easily "snatched". Shanequa's voice, or quoting Madea or calling yourself Quita or Keisha is not an achievement. And neither is having "a big booty". Thats a biological grace. And the irony is, any white gay guy kidding himself with that in public is embarrassing himself.

Black people should be proud of their strength in the face of adversary, their determination to beat oppression, beating stereotypes in all fields of professions. This is what globalisation is. The mixing and merging of cultures. Sure, it's not always pleasant. Not always flattering . So what? Suck it! You think asians like having people squint when they are remembered? Or that a boy in my class is now called "Jew" for having a big nose?

Wow, this rant went on for a bit... Basically, don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. And pick- do you want to give up black identity? Sure that means the singing and booty credibility goes, but do does the oppression? Or do you want all of the thing, oppression included?

PS. Not black, and not white.
Ok. so was this article written by somebody who hates whites because they pick on him and saying "ha! **** you, you have OUR culture!"

Afro-Americans speak English and follow the Constitution. Unless the English language and constitutional law came from the Gambia or Cameroon like their ancestors did, then whose culture are they following?
Original post by zakkaz
Recently, I read an article written by Sierra Mannie - an African American undergraduate who wrote a very thought provoking article called Dear White Gays: Stop Stealing Black Female Culture.

The appropriation of Black Culture by white people is something that has been ticking me off for a long time. It is not ok for white people to be able adorn Black Culture like a coat parade around in it for their personal satisfaction, because whilst it's fun you don't have to face the "ugliness", as Sierra puts it, of Black Culture and when you are tired you can safely, go back to your place of white privilege.

I whole heartedly agree with Sierra.

Sounds like a bitter black woman...

If they want to enjoy hip hop, so ****ing what? lololol..
What rubbish. If African Americans don't want their culture stolen, they should stop shoving it in everyone's faces in every Hollywood film since 1975. And trying to claim that gay men are priveleged, in America, a country where a third of the population believe homosexuality is a sin, and nearly half would not vote for an otherwise well-qualified gay candidate in a presidential election, compared to only 10% if they were black? A joke.

Black people are all Hollywood producers? Or Afro-Americans like Samuel L. Jackson and Morgan Freeman make good actors?

I doubt many Afro-Americans bar the bitter one's like the OP give a **** if white boys or white gays or whoever are into rap or use ebonics.
Reply 27
Original post by septimius
Sounds like a bitter black woman...

If they want to enjoy hip hop, so ****ing what? lololol..

No one said white people can't enjoy rap or participate in rap. What she is saying is that it is offensive to black women for a white male, gay or not to act like he is her "ghetto girl" or any other black stereotype that exists.
Original post by zakkaz
No one said white people can't enjoy rap or participate in rap. What she is saying is that it is offensive to black women for a white male, gay or not to act like he is her "ghetto girl" or any other black stereotype that exists.

The article did? Or moan and bitch about white privilege?
Reply 29
You can't compare Black Americans with Black Brits/Europeans from a sociological point of view.
The monotonic 'black culture' situation in the US (which is almost like a religion) is not present in Europe, and it shouldn't be.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by septimius
The article did? Or moan and bitch about white privilege?

Well then clearly you didn't read the article, the article spoke of how white gay men were appropriating stereotypical black culture and refining it for their own personal consumption, and when they want to they can return to their world of privilege. They do not experience racism or sexism, and all the ugliness that factors in being a "ghetto girl" or your typical "Keisha", so why do they feel the right to say things like I am a "strong black woman". It's saddening that, once again, the voice of a black woman again is debunked, as being 'bitter'.
On the topic of whites being privileged, meaning they have more access to occupations and opportunities, I would disagree.

I would say bring 'privileged' and having these opportunities results to what social class you are in.
Where's the line between appreciating and appropriating?
What rubbish. If African Americans don't want their culture stolen, they should stop shoving it in everyone's faces in every Hollywood film since 1975. And trying to claim that gay men are priveleged, in America, a country where a third of the population believe homosexuality is a sin, and nearly half would not vote for an otherwise well-qualified gay candidate in a presidential election, compared to only 10% if they were black? A joke.

I dunno about that lad. It's not AAs have huge control in the industry in Hollywood; there's much more leverage in the argument of Hollywood inclusion of AAs as tokenism tbh
Reply 34
Original post by Troytheboy
On the topic of whites being privileged, meaning they have more access to occupations and opportunities, I would disagree.

I would say bring 'privileged' and having these opportunities results to what social class you are in.

In our society:
Men have an advantage
Whites have an advantage
Middle class have an advantage

When I say white privilege I mean they have an advantage over other ethnicity, class is a massive factor in social mobility etc. especially in the UK. But if we compared two people of the same class, but one was black and the other was white, the white student would have an advantage.
Wait, I thought 2014 was 'year of the white girl'?
Original post by zakkaz
In our society:
Men have an advantage
Whites have an advantage

When I say white privilege I mean they have an advantage over other ethnicity, class is a massive factor in social mobility etc. especially in the UK. But if we compared two people of the same class, but one was black and the other was white, the white student would have an advantage.

But white people are the majority, though. Africans do tend to come from a poorer background when they arrive here, as it isn't exactly the most affluent continent. So they're are obviously going to have the 'lower class jobs' in 'lower class areas' at first. But with a little bit of effort they certainly do match the standard of living that white people experience. They are virtually the same as any other British citizen.

It's mostly a storm in a teacup with this matter. I think that talking about it is just going to make it worse.
It depends what is meant by black culture and which "blacks" we are talking about.

As a sweeping generalisation are we talking about Caribbean yardies,spliffs,Haile Selassie worship and guns?

If so ,keep it.

If we are talking Ghanaian morals, family values and self respect, I'll buy into that no problem.
Original post by zakkaz
In our society:
Men have an advantage
Whites have an advantage

Not necessarily, it would depend on the employee,the area, level of education, attitude and so much more. That view is totally subjective and generalized, of course I am aware of the fact it may happen In some cases
Original post by zakkaz
In our society:
Men have an advantage
Whites have an advantage

I would direct you back to tumblr but tumblr has enough poisonous individuals as it is. There are some nice portions of the membership but an awful lot espousing absolute crap about social justice while conducting witch hunts.

Quick Reply

Latest