The Student Room Group

Black Culture is the new black.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Limpopo
It depends what is meant by black culture and which "blacks" we are talking about.

As a sweeping generalisation are we talking about Caribbean yardies,spliffs,Haile Selassie worship and guns?

If so ,keep it.

If we are talking Ghanaian morals, family values and self respect, I'll buy into that no problem.

"Ghetto" or urban black culture rather than African culture I guess.
Original post by micksocurly
"Ghetto" or urban black culture rather than African culture I guess.

I see, well im not really down with the kids but if your talking street,ghetto,rap,gangsta then it doesnt appeal ,is ugly and unattractive.
So what exactly is she angry about? the way people dress? the music they listen to? wut?
Reply 43
Original post by Iggy Azalea
But white people are the majority, though. Africans do tend to come from a poorer background when they arrive here, as it isn't exactly the most affluent continent. So they're are obviously going to have the 'lower class jobs' in 'lower class areas' at first. But with a little bit of effort they certainly do match the standard of living that white people experience. They are virtually the same as any other British citizen.

It's mostly a storm in a teacup with this matter. I think that talking about it is just going to make it worse.

I have a couple of issues with this post.

A) black people aren't all from Africa it's a misconception that's annoys many black people.

B) even if people come to this country disadvantaged, why should they be discriminated against?

And having an open dialogue is important, I think for too long this issue has been swept under the carpet with people pretending it's all alright. It's not.
Reply 44
Original post by Troytheboy
Not necessarily, it would depend on the employee,the area, level of education, attitude and so much more. That view is totally subjective and generalized, of course I am aware of the fact it may happen In some cases

Yes social attitudes have changed and our views are far more progressive. But you can not argue with the stats.
Original post by Limpopo
I see, well im not really down with the kids but if your talking street,ghetto,rap,gangsta then it doesnt appeal ,is ugly and unattractive.

As in using the slang phrases etc.
As in using the slang phrases etc.

Well i do find the works of ms Minaj quite amusing and interesting but i cannot bear white people talking like they are from the ghetto. They should be flogged or have a bit fitted until they can learn to speak properly.
Original post by Limpopo
Well i do find the works of ms Minaj quite amusing and interesting but i cannot bear white people talking like they are from the ghetto. They should be flogged or have a bit fitted until they can learn to speak properly.

Haha, the word flogged is equally amusing.

I don't actually see it as black culture anyway. More so African American culture. It's like grouping blacks into one category which really is irritating.
Ok, so I read the massive rant, but what was the purpose of it again? All I got from it is that she hates gay white people.
Haha, the word flogged is equally amusing.

I don't actually see it as black culture anyway. More so African American culture. It's like grouping blacks into one category which really is irritating.

Agreed, its is an African American thing imported and now ingrained into our inner city ghettos. You most likely dont hear it or see it in the better parts of the country. Imagine someone dragging their knuckles and flailing their arms around whilst draped in cheap bling and talking ****e in some quintessential English village.
Original post by zakkaz
I have a couple of issues with this post.

A) black people aren't all from Africa it's a misconception that's annoys many black people.

B) even if people come to this country disadvantaged, why should they be discriminated against?

And having an open dialogue is important, I think for too long this issue has been swept under the carpet with people pretending it's all alright. It's not.

A) Corrected.
B) Discrimination happens to everyone at some point in their lives, including men and white people. Its just selfish human nature. Besides any event of racial discrimination, everyone is quick to discipline the aggressor and solve the issue.

This issue has been spoken about widely this past decade, and racism to black people is dying out. There's a lot bigger issues, such as homophobia, disability discrimination and mental illness stigmas.
This issue has been spoken about widely this past decade, and racism to black people is dying out. There's a lot bigger issues, such as homophobia, disability discrimination and mental illness stigmas.

Dying out?! Perhaps where you come from, but :| really?!
Reply 52
Seriously though, life is about sharing. white people and many other races have shared their culture with black people. Take how many African countries are Christians and speak French or English and wear European style clothing.
Original post by LakAnne
Seriously though, life is about sharing. white people and many other races have shared their culture with black people. Take how many African countries are Christians and speak French or English and wear European style clothing.

"White people have shared their culture with black people" and you use speaking English and French as an example?

I don't think this example should be used...
Reply 54
Original post by zakkaz
Recently, I read an article written by Sierra Mannie - an African American undergraduate who wrote a very thought provoking article called Dear White Gays: Stop Stealing Black Female Culture.

The appropriation of Black Culture by white people is something that has been ticking me off for a long time. It is not ok for white people to be able adorn Black Culture like a coat parade around in it for their personal satisfaction, because whilst it's fun you don't have to face the "ugliness", as Sierra puts it, of Black Culture and when you are tired you can safely, go back to your place of white privilege.

I whole heartedly agree with Sierra.

well. thats the problem with a made up culture. its made up.

you don't catch white people adopting African culture. cause its very racially connected.

black culture is a result of white slave trade and the scraps left over of what ever black people collectively could hold on to whilst making up the rest.

also i find it funny that she thinks white gay men are just screwing black women over directly.

when really it was black gay men that did this impersonation and then white gay men copied the black gay men.

also i find it quite rich that she thinks black women are more oppressed than black men. when its black women putting most black men in jail or getting them put in the ground. when its black women adding to the vagina currency of supporting gang lifestyle favoring thugs over anyone else.

here's a thought. maybe black women should encapsulate their identity to be more than just twerking or other things that white gay males can easily imitate?

i don't see white gay males imitating assata shakur?

and white guys taking the piss out of you is white guys taking the piss out of you. theres nothing complex about it. white gay people have been racist for a long time. mockery isnt new. or maybe its worth keeping in mind how cliche certain behavior of black women has become.

fact is when a white guy puts a red dot on his head n does yoga or if he puts on a kimono and starts doing the tea ceremony those cultures don't mind.

why is it black culture that must be this weak culture that cannot be touched with a barge pole by anyone else. is your own culture that out of your control? arguably maybe...

also why would you expect gay men to not have their cake and eat it?

if they can have all the good of adopting whatever about black culture and then do so without any of the negatives then why wouldnt they?

wouldnt you if you could?

how do you know you're not taking the moral high ground because you simply didnt have the privilege to?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 55
"White people have shared their culture with black people" and you use speaking English and French as an example?

I don't think this example should be used...

why not, but i also mentioned fashion and religion. The only thing, special about black culture like many other smaller cultures is that it's a sub group culture. So anybody belong to this culture, i.e. listens to rnb, rap and hiphop, dressing in a particular urban way feels special. But white culture also exists, it's all around us but we just don't notice it and take it for granted as the norm.
Reply 56
A) Corrected.
B) Discrimination happens to everyone at some point in their lives, including men and white people. Its just selfish human nature. Besides any event of racial discrimination, everyone is quick to discipline the aggressor and solve the issue.

Discrimination doesn't happen to everyone and it certainly doesn't happen to the same extent. The writer makes it clear that she is a victim of both racism ad sexism because she is a black woman.

Secondly racism is not dying out just because progress has been made.
Lol at people denying white privalege

A white woman has more advantages in British society compared to me as a black woman. Sorry but it's true and we all know it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Original post by LakAnne

I think you mean the Europeans imperialised those people.
Original post by zakkaz
Yes social attitudes have changed and our views are far more progressive. But you can not argue with the stats.

W-w-what?.. Stats for what? Show me them and I haven't got an idea what you mean by social attitudes and views can you expand your point more?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending