The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

my fren is going there. medicine. but i dont think hes into S&M
very geeky
My friend is going there. It's not ranked highly in terms of the subject Medicine (ranked around 15 or so usually) though I guess people go there because of its good overall ranking and prestige.
Reply 4
It must be good - they ask for AAB!
i went to imperial for a day thing on engineering, it didnt impress me overly, but then im not a major fan of london and didnt c the medicine dept. best bet for u is to go to one of their open days, c the website etc x
Offers for Medicine are typically like that though, aren't they? AAB or ABB is what I've heard.
Reply 7
Maybe. What's the best med school in the country? I heard Southampton is quite highly ranked, and its quite local (only 20 miles away or so).

I was thinking of studying in America at somewhere like Harvard / Stanford. It would be something different, and English people get a lot of respect on that side of the Atlantic.
Originally posted by Mr White
It must be good - they ask for AAB!

AAB is quite a standard offer for Medicine in almost every university offering the course. Same with Law (which I'm doing). Since these two subjects are often the most competitive, inevitably universities will require quite demanding requirements to select the most able and suitable students.
Maybe. What's the best med school in the country? I heard Southampton is quite highly ranked, and its quite local (only 20 miles away or so).

I was thinking of studying in America at somewhere like Harvard / Stanford. It would be something different, and English people get a lot of respect on that side of the Atlantic.

Heard of Oxbridge? :tongue:

Apart from those two, the most reputed med schools with high rankings for the subject are usually Edinburgh, Southampton (like you suggested), Leicester and Manchester.
By the way, Harvard and Stanford do not offer Medicine for undergraduates; you must obtain a first degree in a related science, usually human biology, work for a period and then be eligible for application to their med schools. John Hopkins Med School is usually said to be the most famous med school above those two.
Reply 11
Thank you kindly.
I was under the influence that Nottingham, with the Queen's Medical Centre (University Hospital) was quite highly regarded.
Reply 13
Perchance could you tell me a website that has listings of the rankings for British Medical Schools? I would be interested to know which ones are the highest rated.

Sincerely,
GC White
very geeky and boring dont go there its tooooo serious
Reply 15
If you say so.
Medicine is overated, do law instead, you can never have too many lawyers in the world!
I didn't rate imperial that highly (for Maths) but they know what they're doing, and have a lot of pride.
Perchance could you tell me a website that has listings of the rankings for British Medical Schools? I would be interested to know which ones are the highest rated.

Sincerely,
GC White

Couldn't find one but managed to reel off the list of ratings from the Guardian League Tables for the subject of medicine:

1) University of Manchester
2) University of Newcastle
3) Wales College of Medicine
4) University of Glasgow
5) ICL
6) University of Southampton
7) KCL
8) University of Oxford
9) University of Aberdeen
10) University of Leicester

will research further.
Reply 19