The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Maybe you would like the Times league table for medicine?

Medicine
TQA RAE A LevelsScore Clin Lab Community Hospital Pre-Clin

1 Oxford 21 5* A 5* A 5* A 29.8 100.0
2 Newcastle 24 5* D 5 C 5 C 29.5 99.2
=3 Manchester 24 4 B 5 C 5 C 5* B 28.8 98.7
=3 Cambridge 21 5* A 5* B 5* B 29.9 98.7
5 Southampton 24 5 A 3a B 5 B 27.8 98.5
6 Glasgow E 5 B 4 C 5 C 28.5 95.5
7 Liverpool 24 5 B 4 B 4 B 26.4 94.5
8 Edinburgh HS 4 B 5* C 29.7 94.3
9 Leicester 23 4 B 3a B 4 B 28.5 94.1
=10 Wales College of Medicine E 5 C 4 B 4 B 28.0 93.8
=10 St George's Hospital Medical School 23 4 A 4 B 4 A 5 A 27.2 93.8
12 Aberdeen E 4 B 5 C 4 B 27.6 93.0
13 Imperial College 21 5* B 5 B 5* B 5 B 27.8 92.9
14 King's College London 22 5 C 4 C 4 B 5 C 28.2 90.6
15 University College London 21 4 B 5 B 28.1 90.4
16 Dundee E 5* B 4 D 5 E 26.8 90.3
17 Queens, Belfast 22 4 C 5 E 3a C 29.4 89.2
18 Nottingham 21 3a B 3a C 4 B 5 A 29.0 87.9
19 Birmingham 20 5* B 4 D 5 C 5 C 28.6 86.4
20 Bristol 20 5 A 5* C 3a B 28.6 86.0
21 Queen Mary 21 3a B 3a B 4 B 27.0 84.2
22 Sheffield 19 4 B 5 C 5* C 28.6 83.1
23 Leeds 18 5 C 4 C 4 C 28.4 77.7
24 St Andrews
Reply 21
Hi! Cool forum! :smile:

Well here's my (slightly biased lol :tongue: ) view of ICSM:

Imperial College School Of Medicine is a relatively new creation, formed in 1998. It was setup after the merger of some really good west London med schools so while it is kinda new it still has decades of experience in teaching, lecturers etc... When I was applying last year this point was cause for some concern cos many medics and some reports i read were quite negative of ICSM, but I think they've learnt from their mistakes. I liked it anyway . There's several commitees and lots of interaction between ICSM union, med school and students to improve things every year.

Imperial is quite a good uni in general, up there in the top 20 in most league tables (for whateva they're worth!). Its very work and science orientated so that could be a factor, altho I found it reasonably OK. Its in SW London so again may be a consideration altho 1st year halls are pretty good.

The course is 6 years cos we have to do a BSc in the 4th year. Depending on how you do in terms of exams etc... you choose a pathway to study in during the BSc 'Science Year'.

Its a well intergrated course with a mixture of lectures, small-group tutorials, PBL, anatomy (dissection and some use of prosection) and patient contact. Commonly in the 1st year I just had:
- 2 days a week are rotations where you either have PBL, anatomy or patient contact
- rest are lectures, tutorials and practicals (labs, IT, slides etc...)

A typical day is quite work orientated but I guess medicine is a tough little subject! Some days are all lectures (sometimes 3 morning, 3 afternoon with regular breaks and long lunch), some are OK with maybe a lecture then a practical in the morning and afternoon sessions. The rotation days have quite a few free mornings and afternoons which is good.

Patient contact seems to be quite important to many applicants to look for. Well at ICSM we have a Patient Contact Course (PCC) which involves 3 tutorials each followed by a placement. The tutorials are conducted by GPs, doctors etc... at there sites so you get to go around a few places in London which is nice! At the end of each term we submit an essay and presentations which are graded.

The amount of work we hand in is limited to a few essays and presentations, the rest is up to you whether you write up lectures etc.
You do a mock at the beginning of Spring and Summer, and the actual exams in June (although two are done in Jan and April). The exams cover all the things you do in the year including communication skills and pateint contact. The 4 general areas are:

Paper1: Life Support Systems e.g. cardio, resp, urin, gastro
Paper2: Molecules, Cells and Disease e.g. nucleic acids, cells, pathology
Paper3: Life Cycle and Reulatory Systems e.g. endo, neuro
Paper4: Foundations of Clinical Practice e.g. IT, PBL, stats, epid

The exams are compromise of Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs where you need 80% to pass) and Short Answer Questions (SAQs where you need 50% to pass).

Few! Sorry if this is a bit long, lol!

If I can be of any help to any of you please do get in touch!
That was one of the most useful posts I've seen here yet! wow! Thank you so much!
Mr White
Maybe. What's the best med school in the country? I heard Southampton is quite highly ranked, and its quite local (only 20 miles away or so).

I was thinking of studying in America at somewhere like Harvard / Stanford. It would be something different, and English people get a lot of respect on that side of the Atlantic.

in the guardian league tables imperial is 7th thats one place higher than cambridge. i got into cambridge but decided to go to imperial it has a really good reputation for medicine!
Reply 24
Mr White
Thanks very much. I appreciate it.

White, you've come across slightly odd in this thread. It seems you don't give a shit where you study as long as it's #1? Seems rather narrow-minded especially when there's a multitude of other things to consider. Also if you're thinking of taking the medical route in America, make sure your parents are ready to spoon feed you dollars. And about the respect thing, you should earn your respect and not expect it to be a byproduct of your nationality. Ho hum.
Imperial requirements is AABB is ANY ORDER, of 3 A2's and 1 AS

ICMS is in S.Ken, a well fine place in london - gorgeous!
Mr White
Does anyone here go to Imperial College in London (specifically: the medical school)? I'm considering going there and would like to know what a student's opinion of it is. Thank you kindly.

Sincerely,
GC White

I go to Imperial College for Medicine, and I have to say that it has the reputation but once you get there, they are ruthlessly unhelpful to their med students. I know people who have been kicked out just because their parents died and they couldn't concentrate on exams. Their student care is very poor, and they care more about their academic standing than actually producing good doctors. Good for academics, not good for doctors.
Reply 27
Unregistered
I go to Imperial College for Medicine, and I have to say that it has the reputation but once you get there, they are ruthlessly unhelpful to their med students. I know people who have been kicked out just because their parents died and they couldn't concentrate on exams. Their student care is very poor, and they care more about their academic standing than actually producing good doctors. Good for academics, not good for doctors.

Good. No sappy lecturers then. I'd go there to learn.
Reply 28
Mr White
Good. No sappy lecturers then. I'd go there to learn.

I look foward to seeing you next year then Mr White! :tongue:

John
Reply 29
Max Plank
I look foward to seeing you next year then Mr White! :tongue:

John

Of course you will - keep an eye out.

Do you think, that in 7 years time, I should change my forum name to 'Dr White'? :smile:
Reply 30
Mr White
Of course you will - keep an eye out.

Do you think, that in 7 years time, I should change my forum name to 'Dr White'? :smile:

Not before I change mine to Dr Max Plank MEng! :P

John
Reply 31
Max Plank
Not before I change mine to Dr Max Plank MEng! :P

John

Planck is a professor, isn't he? (behind the 'Planck Length' theory and all that.)
Reply 32
Mr White
Planck is a professor, isn't he? (behind the 'Planck Length' theory and all that.)

Yes, he is the grandfather of modern quantum physics.

John

PS Why are you not at school? Also thank you for the "Rep".
Reply 33
Max Plank
Yes, he is the grandfather of modern quantum physics.

John

PS Why are you not at school? Also thank you for the "Rep".

Not a problem. You deserved it fully. I'm not at school because there is a PE lesson right now that I am excused from (PE in sixth form - that should be illegal :mad: ).

P.S. I prefer Dyson and Tipler to Planck - their work was much more groundbreaking.
Reply 34
Unregistered

If this is the case then I'm really very shocked! Yes the med school has had its problems in the past, but I thought they were in the past!

Latest

Trending

Trending