The Student Room Group

How many subjects?

Is it better to do five a-level subjects as opposed to four?
Would doing five subjects be seen as better for university admission?
Are there cases where someone has to do five subjects to have a better chance of admission?

Thanks. :smile:
If you look at universities most, even the best, only really need 3 to 4. I know people who started doing five and found it hard to keep up with all the work, but of course that depends on what your taking and how you manage your time as a person. It's really up to you, i would say look at universities if you have any remote idea of what you want to do and you will see for yourself.

You'll do well no matter what i'm sure.
The only time this may be useful if if you performed poorly at GCSE and wanted to apply to somewhere like Oxbridge. 5 subjects may allow you to 'prove yourself' in a sense but generally it won't be any advantage. However, if you are undecided you could take 5 and drop the one you like least if the workload becomes too much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Most people do 4 AS subjects and drop to 3 at A2 - Some people however do 3 AS's and likewise some do 5

For the large majority of unis + courses, 3 A2's is all they ask for.

No one has to do 5 subjects no. Though my teacher did mention something about Maths/Further maths and how if you were fast tracking each one of them in a single timetable block, it COULD raise a slight eyebrow but nothing more.
Thank you for the responses everyone. I suppose it also depends on workload. Do four subjects have a lot of workload generally? Because everyone does a lot of GCSEs but less A-levels, does this mean that A-levels are far more work individually? :smile:
Generally A Levels is an extension from GCSE but what really effects the performance of students is firstly the exam technique which varies greatly from GCSE to A Levels, and secondly poor time management. GCSE students for their preparation have 2/3 years on average while an A Level student has less then a year for his AS Level exams and same goes for A2 (second year). This way covering the syllabus is no biggy but mastering the exam technique is the major issue

Sources: Had 13 A's (11 A*s, 2 A's) in GCSE without a single teacher. Gave 7 AS Levels in the recent session without a single teacher

You should tell me about your plans for the future and I'll guide you accordingly for your subjects and their quantity
Depth is far better than Breadth. Universities like to see kids who have studied a foot wide and a mile deep, not mile wide and a foot deep.
So, take three subjects only (most unis don't even consider the 4th) but make sure they're "right" subjects and you're interested in them and dive heads first into them. DEPTH MATTERS! Read around the subjects, get a job/internship, do some research work etc. because that'll help you. Taking 6 or 7 A-levels like a mindless robot won't do anything.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pokémontrainer
Is it better to do five a-level subjects as opposed to four?
Would doing five subjects be seen as better for university admission?
Are there cases where someone has to do five subjects to have a better chance of admission?

Thanks. :smile:

There's no point of pressuring yourself to do 5 a-levels. Uni's only require 3 A-levels or equivalent and your GCSE grades along with your personal statement.

Doing 5 a-levels doesn't put you in a better position to get a place on the course you want to study at university.

Start off with 4 A-Levels. When you've competed AS and got the grades, you have to drop one subject so you can continue with 3 onto A2.

The advice I would give you is to think and research on what you want to do in the future, the university, courses and entry requirements. Then you will have to pick 4 A-Levels that will help you get to that stage.

Choose wisely. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by babyshawte
There's no point of pressuring yourself to do 5 a-levels. Uni's only require 3 A-levels or equivalent and your GCSE grades along with your personal statement.

Doing 5 a-levels doesn't put you in a better position to get a place on the course you want to study at university.

Start off with 4 A-Levels. When you've competed AS and got the grades, you have to drop one subject so you can continue with 3 onto A2.

The advice I would give you is to think and research on what you want to do in the future, the university, courses and entry requirements. Then you will have to pick 4 A-Levels that will help you get to that stage.

Choose wisely. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, this really helped. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest