Emma xxx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm studying... At GCSE level and my options are art,french, history, and geography. Also doing triple science, and the rest of the basic curriculum.

I'm interested in... Not really sure. I enjoy science, but also things like Ancient Greece and Rome.

I'm thinking about... What I should take at A level. I am confused about what I want to do.
Could anyone please tell me more about these subjects: Physics, Art Classic Civilisations, English Literature, Maths, Biology, Chemistry and History. Sorry I know it is a lot.
Also what grades will I need to go to Oxford University.
Thank you.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Emma xxx)
I'm studying... At GCSE level and my options are art,french, history, and geography. Also doing triple science, and the rest of the basic curriculum.

I'm interested in... Not really sure. I enjoy science, but also things like Ancient Greece and Rome.

I'm thinking about... What I should take at A level. I am confused about what I want to do.
Could anyone please tell me more about these subjects: Physics, Art Classic Civilisations, English Literature, Maths, Biology, Chemistry and History. Sorry I know it is a lot.
Thank you.
Welcome to :tsr:

If you need any help with your studies then check out Study help and our A-levels section and our GCSE section.

I guess you're expecting some results in the following weeks of this month... so check out our results hub . I wish you luck with your endeavours.

You might also like to have a look at University and university courses

What subjects are you thinking about doing in terms of studying?
Neuth
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
X
I've moved this to study help for you and renamed the thread, so you should get some advice soon

What would you want to study at Oxford? Why Oxford in particular?
Spongebob0303
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do Art, Geog, Chemistry and Biology at AS and love all of them

Art - a lot of work, but very relaxing and gives me a break from the other subjects which require more concentration. But it does take up a lot of time, so you have to be dedicated to working very long hours and must be organised so you can fit in the other subjects.

Geography - I loved it, i found it interesting and its very easy to get you're head around and ties in nicely with my other subjects

Biology and chem - require lots of work and in biology you must be good at exam technique as they literally don't ask you about anything on the spec.

Here are my notes if you want to look at the exam content for these:
http://nickmynotes.wordpress.com/

Also in my opinion Oxford is overrated... just saying but the grades you need are between A*A*A and AAA depending on the course

Good luck
Black Rose
  • Study Helper
Report 6 years ago

Thank you.
Hello Emma

You'd need to know the exam boards you'd be doing for those a level subjects to know more about them. Though I shall link you to those parts of tsr: Physics, English Literature, Maths, Biology, Chemistry and History.

For Oxford university, it depends on the course you want to do :yep:
emilyjaaayne
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do AQA Biology and there is a lot of hard work needed because there is a lot to know in a fair bit of depth but the majority of the trouble is exam technique as AQA are not a students best friend and thats the hardest bit to get around, but not impossible. Second year is a lot of statistics so if you struggle a lot with maths then I'd worry but as long as you're alright. The Unit 1 and 2 specs are on the website. I'd advise you find out what exam boards your sixth form/college are on for all of your possible pathways and have a look at the specs yourself
Any Oxford course is highly likely to be AAA or A*AA but depending on the course you want, they'll specify a certain A-Level they want so it's best to have an idea of what you want to study before you pick them
lilza
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Thank you.
I took history for AS. My exam board was AQA, and we studied Mao's China, and the French Revolution. Whilst I found the content interesting, it was way more difficult than GCSE (my exam board was Edexcel, and we studied the Cold War, Nazi Germany, and American civil rights). There's obviously more to learn, and the style in which you write essays is totally different to GCSE, and it took me a while to adapt. You also have to use your own judgement and opinion a lot more than in GCSE. But if you're good at essay writing, having a strong opinion, understanding complicated content, and above all, enjoy learning history then it could be for you.
Emma xxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Neuth)
I've moved this to study help for you and renamed the thread, so you should get some advice soon

What would you want to study at Oxford? Why Oxford in particular?

Thank you. I want to stufy at Oxford because I recently went on a visit there and absolutely loved the place and everything about it. And I am thinking about studying Classic Civilisations and Mythology, or maybe Physics. I know they are quite different.
emilyjaaayne
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you. I want to stufy at Oxford because I recently went on a visit there and absolutely loved the place and everything about it. And I am thinking about studying Classic Civilisations and Mythology, or maybe Physics. I know they are quite different.
If you want to do Physics at Oxford you'll need A*AA, an A*A being in Physics and Maths
Emma xxx
Rep:
?
Thank you all for your great help. I am thinking about a career in Archaeology, so that helps to narrow down my options. Again thank you all. xxx
RFJ
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Classical civilisation is largely the same as classics but without the language aspect.

It talks about Greece and Rome primarily, but this depends on exam boards and what units your college choose to teach. It often compromises of a historical/political element followed by a literature element.

In my first year I studied The Odyssey with a study of Athenian democracy and in the second year I studied Augustus and The Aeneid. I found it a great course which was very enjoyable with a plentiful amount of books to read to help get the best grades possible; though there is no exam board guide to it. It's both interesting and insightful as well as being largely relevant to our own time.

It's great and would be helpful to you in the future for Archeology.

Also! You may get to do some archeology depending on your college as I'm sure it's a module they offer.
German123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 8472)
Welcome to :tsr:

If you need any help with your studies then check out Study help and our A-levels section and our GCSE section.

I guess you're expecting some results in the following weeks of this month... so check out our results hub . I wish you luck with your endeavours.

You might also like to have a look at University and university courses

What subjects are you thinking about doing in terms of studying?

Hi, i know this was directed to the op and not me but i find this info useful so thankyou as i am stuck too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (59)
38.56%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (16)
10.46%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (7)
4.58%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (33)
21.57%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (24)
15.69%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (14)
9.15%

Watched Threads