shrublemaker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am completely stuck. I have found the perfect university for me- University of Gloucestershire that doesn't offer physiotherapy. Although I have previously considered Sports Therapy I had decided on physiotherapy for the better employment prospects even though I eventually want to work for a sports team. So does anyone have any ideas on how to apply to both subjects without a personal statement that shows I am not decided?
Fenzinho
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Physio is that competitive you would really hurt your chances if you even gave a sniff of the fact you were considering another course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
shrublemaker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fenzinho)
Physio is that competitive you would really hurt your chances if you even gave a sniff of the fact you were considering another course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's what I was thinking, it all comes down to what happens on Thursday now...
NaturallyDumbKid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi shrublemaker, I had the same problem and I created a thread a few weeks back on my second account. I got some very helpful responses and I will break it down for you.

Sport and exercise science is a good course and I found it more interesting because I am a semi-pro footballer who also wanted to desirably work in a football team. I loved the physical side of it and the latest technology used in most universities. I went to Birmingham Uni open day and looked at Sport science and physio, sport science appealed to me much more by far. The problem with sport science is that if you pursue this degree you will be a lost lamb in a massive herd. This is because sport science is seen as 'the easy alternative' to BTEC students (I have nothing against them) and other people. If you do A-level's like me you will be seen as taking the 'harder route' as opposed to BTEC students who can end up on the same course as you.

On the other hand, Physiotherapy is a professional career which guarantee's you a job which sport science does not do. That's another thing I need to mention, sport science is a degree which has low job prospects. There's no way you can appeal to employers compared to other students with the same degree. Physiotherapy is also funded by the NHS which is another appealing measure. Meaning no 60k+ debt and a student bursary of 1k also from the NHS.

So it's up to you. A bit about me: I have chosen to do physiotherapy and I am just about to collect my AS level results in a few days time then go onto a2. I take a levels which are Biology, PE, Psychology and Economics.

Hope this helped.
shrublemaker
Rep:
?
(Original post by NaturallyDumbKid)
Hi shrublemaker, I had the same problem and I created a thread a few weeks back on my second account. I got some very helpful responses and I will break it down for you.

Sport and exercise science is a good course and I found it more interesting because I am a semi-pro footballer who also wanted to desirably work in a football team. I loved the physical side of it and the latest technology used in most universities. I went to Birmingham Uni open day and looked at Sport science and physio, sport science appealed to me much more by far. The problem with sport science is that if you pursue this degree you will be a lost lamb in a massive herd. This is because sport science is seen as 'the easy alternative' to BTEC students (I have nothing against them) and other people. If you do A-level's like me you will be seen as taking the 'harder route' as opposed to BTEC students who can end up on the same course as you.

On the other hand, Physiotherapy is a professional career which guarantee's you a job which sport science does not do. That's another thing I need to mention, sport science is a degree which has low job prospects. There's no way you can appeal to employers compared to other students with the same degree. Physiotherapy is also funded by the NHS which is another appealing measure. Meaning no 60k+ debt and a student bursary of 1k also from the NHS.

So it's up to you. A bit about me: I have chosen to do physiotherapy and I am just about to collect my AS level results in a few days time then go onto a2. I take a levels which are Biology, PE, Psychology and Economics.

Hope this helped.

Thank you for the advice!

I'm going to collect my AS results in Biology, Chemistry and Maths, with a BTEC in sports as my college didn't offer it as an A level

What universities are you thinking of applying to?
NaturallyDumbKid
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by shrublemaker)
Thank you for the advice!

I'm going to collect my AS results in Biology, Chemistry and Maths, with a BTEC in sports as my college didn't offer it as an A level

What universities are you thinking of applying to?
No problem! And they're good a levels for physiotherapy. I am applying to Liverpool, Nottingham, Birmingham, Cardiff and Brunel, wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
shrublemaker
Rep:
?
No problem! And they're good a levels for physiotherapy. I am applying to Liverpool, Nottingham, Birmingham, Cardiff and Brunel, wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not completely sure at the moment but it's looking something like: Brighton, Southampton, Bournemouth, Coventry, UWE, Plymouth and Nottingham at the moment.

How are you feeling about Thursday?
NaturallyDumbKid
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm not completely sure at the moment but it's looking something like: Brighton, Southampton, Bournemouth, Coventry, UWE, Plymouth and Nottingham at the moment.

How are you feeling about Thursday?
Ah. I was looking at Brighton and Southampton too!

I'm feeling quite nervous if I'm honest. A bit of excitement too. Wbu? And what are you expecting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
shrublemaker
Rep:
?
Ah. I was looking at Brighton and Southampton too!

I'm feeling quite nervous if I'm honest. A bit of excitement too. Wbu? And what are you expecting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The exact same! I really want A's but I'd be happy with B's What exam board for Biology are you?
NaturallyDumbKid
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The exact same! I really want A's but I'd be happy with B's What exam board for Biology are you?
Ah that's good! Hopefully you get the grades! I do AQA, wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
shrublemaker
Rep:
?
I'm actually OCR, what are you hoping for?
NaturallyDumbKid
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm actually OCR, what are you hoping for?
I'll be happy with BBB and then at least an E in economics (I flopped). But I'm hoping for AAB and E in economics, because I know I can get it up second year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fenzinho
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That's what I was thinking, it all comes down to what happens on Thursday now...
Best of luck hope you get what you're after.

Posted from TSR Mobile
shrublemaker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fenzinho)
Best of luck hope you get what you're after.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you, physiotherapy is definitely my first choice now
NaturallyDumbKid
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you, physiotherapy is definitely my first choice now
How did your results go shrublemaker?
shrublemaker
Rep:
?
How did your results go shrublemaker?

Not too bad, but not what I wanted

I got BBC, in Biology, Maths and the C in Chemistry.

Then I got a Distinction* in Sport

How did you get on?
NaturallyDumbKid
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not too bad, but not what I wanted

I got BBC, in Biology, Maths and the C in Chemistry.

Then I got a Distinction* in Sport

How did you get on?
Oh wow, that's still brilliant
I got as follows;
PE: A
Psychology: A
Biology: C (1 mark off a B, getting a remark)
Economics: D (dropped)

What grades did you want* btw?
shrublemaker
Rep:
?
Oh wow, that's still brilliant
I got as follows;
PE: A
Psychology: A
Biology: C (1 mark off a B, getting a remark)
Economics: D (dropped)

What grades did you want* btw?
That's amazing! I'm disappointed that I didn't get As and a B in Chemistry would've been good. It's safe to say I won't be doing it at A2, I'm thinking of an EPQ instead
NaturallyDumbKid
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That's amazing! I'm disappointed that I didn't get As and a B in Chemistry would've been good. It's safe to say I won't be doing it at A2, I'm thinking of an EPQ instead
Thanks. An EPQ is a good idea because it's easy to get a high grade if it's a subject of your choice! Good luck with that!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.14%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (383)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.24%

Watched Threads