The Student Room Group

Why is admitting you look good so frowned upon in today's society?

This is something i've been thinking about for a while. Why is it that when a person puts themselves down about their physical appearance, people are nice to them and try to reassure them they look good but when someone says they're happy with their appearance or even gives off a 'confident vibe' people label them as vain and in some cases, even a narcissist. This results in people being too fearful to compliment themselves in front of others but having no problem doing the opposite. It really bothers me because it just shows how messed up society is. I remember a year ago when neg rep existed, I posted on a thread which asked if users think they're attractive or unattractive. I responded saying I don't think i'm unattractive and content with what i've been given. To my surprise, I received 30 negs (and like 14 pos reps) whilst someone else on the thread who posted they look like a gremlin (implying they despise how they look) got 30+ pos reps and no negs. NOBODY should be made to feel like a social outcast if they like how they look :mad:

sorry for the rant. Who agrees/disagrees?

Scroll to see replies

Thanks to feminism it's also becoming taboo to give compliments to other people lmao.

I agree though you'l pretty much be hated by insecure/jealous people if you even give off a tiny hint that you're confident in yourself. There are other people that won't care though
(edited 9 years ago)
People want to see people do well but dont want to see people do better than them.

Guess it streams from there.
Reply 3
Haha its opposite with me. When I say I'm ugly. I'll get a ohh you are just fishing for compliments because you want people to say that no you are not. You can't win either way sometime. :rolleyes:

Plus if a guy gives a girl a compliment, he is labeled as 'thirsty' which is one more thing that I don't get.
I agree! if you say that you look good you're labelled an arrogant narcissist. I can understand that some people actually are arrogant narcissists but everyone should be able to think that they look good, compliment themselves or take a compliment... without them being labelled a show off etc. :rolleyes:

Edit: Also, I go to an all-girls (which I still love) but if try saying that you think like you look good to some... You might get attacked by a bunch of vultures. "Omg how can you say that, that's so rude/arrogant/etc."

Annoyed now. Goodnight! :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by karmacrunch
I agree! if you say that you look good you're labelled an arrogant narcissist. I can understand that some people actually are arrogant narcissists but everyone should be able to think that they look good, compliment themselves or take a compliment... without them being labelled a show off etc. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes! :five:
I know I look good but if people want to call names and stuff they are the butthurt ones.
Original post by Secretnerd123
Yes! :five:

Haha, look at my edit as well :laugh:

Edit: Also, I go to an all-girls (which I still love) but if try saying that you think like you look good to some... You might get attacked by a bunch of vultures. "Omg how can you say that, that's so rude/arrogant/etc."

Annoyed now. Goodnight! :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile

I pretty much compliment myself many times a day when I pass by mirrors and anything with a reflection. It makes you a happier person rofl.
Haha, look at my edit as well :laugh:

Hahah it reminds me of when Regina george goes "so you think you're pretty" to Cady. If you've watched mean girls you know what i'm on about :wink:
Original post by ChickenMadness
I pretty much compliment myself many times a day when I pass by mirrors and anything with a reflection. It makes you a happier person rofl.

I should try doing that. It might annoy the hell out of some people who hate it when others compliment themselves but YOLO :cool:
Reply 11
I should try doing that. It might annoy the hell out of some people who hate it when others compliment themselves but YOLO :cool:

I thought Muslims didn't say YOLO. :lol:

See that's great! You are not obsessing over yourself but making yourself happier! Nothing wrong with it :colonhash:
Hahah it reminds me of when Regina george goes "so you think you're pretty" to Cady. If you've watched mean girls you know what i'm on about :wink:

Haha yes it does actually! Oh that irritated me so much! Why couldn't see defend herself? "Oh yes, I think am a little." Or just something!! So exasperated!

I haven't finished the film, I commented on everything. Kady irritates me, changing herself to fit in. Now I'm ranting about Mean Girls... Lovely! :tongue:
Reply 13
I think the person got 30+ reps because other TSR users could relate to the person. So all the people that think they're unattractive themselves, repped the person that said ''I think I'm unattractive blah blah''. Whereas, they negged you because they either thought you were being vain (maybe they thought you said it in the wrong way), or because they're jealous and they can't relate to your comment.

There's nothing wrong with thinking you're attractive at all, but if, for example, you say it in a snobby way like ''I know I'm attractive, many guys have complimented me, they've asked me out countless of times blah blah'', then you're expecting to get called vain and stuff tbh. The unattractive people want the attractive people to stay humble.

Plus, this is TSR. TSR doesn't represent society at all. People IRL don't ask others if they think consider themselves attractive LOL. Nobody has that kind of conversation IRL.
Original post by Rosie786
I thought Muslims didn't say YOLO. :lol:

Hahah oops meant YOLT :wink:
See that's great! You are not obsessing over yourself but making yourself happier! Nothing wrong with it :colonhash:

Haha yes it does actually! Oh that irritated me so much! Why couldn't see defend herself? "Oh yes, I think am a little." Or just something!! So exasperated!

I haven't finished the film, I commented on everything. Kady irritates me, changing herself to fit in. Now I'm ranting about Mean Girls... Lovely! :tongue:

it's such a good film though
Reply 16
I find it mainly happens on tsr more than anywhere else.

Pretty girl makes a rate me thread: People will downplay her looks out of jealousy. You'll find people rating a quite clearly attractive person in the threes and twos.

ugly or average girl: People will find features to compliment and do their best to be nice as possible.

I swear you're more likely to be rated highly on tsr if you're ugly/average.

But I agree OP. There's nothing wrong with having self-confidence. People encourage it, yet when someone does they're branded vain and into themselves.
(edited 9 years ago)
I just say that I think I'm attractive. If people start having a go saying I'm vain, I tell them well how is anyone supposed to love you when you don't love yourself? It's my own opinion and my face I have to see in the mirror, so whatever.

Modesty is for ugly people.
it's such a good film though

I know, I've laughed so much at the bits I've watched! But it's so annoying, it's so stereotypical and the girl won't stick up for herself! Gah!
difference between pride and vanity....a thin line i would say.

Quick Reply

Latest