Deldin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone! This is one of my first posts at The Student Room. I'm a prospective student from Poland. I got rejected from UCL (my firm choice) and Glasgow (insurance) because of my exam results.

I'm in Clearing and I cannot decide whether to go to Southampton or Exeter for undergraduate Physics. I would really appreciate any comments about the cities, universities and physics faculties.

One of the things I find strange is that Exeter is higher in British rankings (in Physics as well) but Southampton is higher in international rankings (and significantly higher in Physics). I know I shouldn't rely solely on rankings and this is why I'm creating this thread. But which rankings do you find more adequate for undergraduate students?

PS. I would like to study postgraduate Physics at universites like ULC or Imperial (maybe in the USA - is Southampton nor Exeter more known there?) - which of these (Southampton, Exeter) universities would give me more chance to achive this?
jenhasdreams
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi Deldin, welcome to TSR!

The ratings measure totally different things:
International ratings measure Teaching, International Outlook, Industry Income, Research, and Citations.
UK ratings measure Entry Standards, Student Satisfaction, Research Assessment, and Graduate Prospects.

So it depends which of these measures is most important to you. As an undergraduate, perhaps the UK ratings system would be more relevant. However, both Southampton and Exeter are very good unis and have high rankings both Internationally and in the UK.

It also depends of course if either of those Universities have any spaces available through Clearing for Physics!
Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (579)
34.36%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (691)
41.01%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (338)
20.06%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (77)
4.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed