Hasufel
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
i`m a potential iphone purchaser (No, never had one before...), and as such a complete virgin to iphones (and most other mobiles, to be honest) , but just wondered:

1). what are the main things you can/most people do on them?

2). can i get a "pay as you go" version - I don`t want some long-term or expensive bloody contract - i want the phone to be MINE! (..all mine,..i tell you!!!)

...aherm!...

3). i have never really enjoyed mobile phones per se, what with having to set them up (i`m hopless at this - and then if you want to use email you have to pay a certain amout every month automatically, and contact the service provider to start an account -

is there any way purchasing a payg iphone would cut out all that CRAP?

(you may have guesses i am somewhat of a technophobe when it comes to phones!)

please enlighten me?

(specifically about payg iphone posibilities)
Mad Vlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hasufel)
i`m a potential iphone purchaser (No, never had one before...), and as such a complete virgin to iphones (and most other mobiles, to be honest) , but just wondered:

Nothing that you can't do on any other phone. Most people use about 10% of their phone's capabilities by just using it to send messages on Facebook, or playing Candy Crush.

2). can i get a "pay as you go" version - I don`t want some long-term or expensive bloody contract - i want the phone to be MINE! (..all mine,..i tell you!!!)

...aherm!...
You can, but remember, the cost of the contract amortises the high cost of the phone over a long period of time. PAYG data tends to be expensive, and that's what you'll tend to consume the most of with a smartphone. Free texts are an irrelevance as there are superior data-carried services. PAYG SIMs tend to give you a poor deal for minutes etc. too, though worth looking at a MVNO like Giff Gaff to see what they can do for you.

3). i have never really enjoyed mobile phones per se, what with having to set them up (i`m hopless at this - and then if you want to use email you have to pay a certain amout every month automatically, and contact the service provider to start an account -

please enlighten me?

You have to pay for email? :erm: Maybe back in the Blackberry days. These days, it's just a data service that ties into a service like Gmail etc. that does all the push notification for you.

In all seriousness, I'd probably recommend that you don't spunk £600 up the wall on an iPhone to start with if you're a technophobe. A cheaper Android device would probably suit you better.
Hasufel
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
thanks for the very detailed explanation! - i did too have a blackberry for my last (monolithic) phone! - back in the days when the shop assistant either knew nothing or couldn`t be arsed helping you!
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hasufel)

...aherm!...

please enlighten me?

1.) Loads of things - games, internet, apps, email etc.

2.) Yes. Buy the phone outright (have a look at used ones too) and then go sim only (either contract or pay as you go). The 3 network has the best pay as you go plan out there at the moment (1p/mb for internet).

3.) Maybe on some old phones, any modern smartphone should work fine with your current email provider at no cost.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (41)
5.72%
Uncertainty around my education (83)
11.58%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (76)
10.6%
Lack of purpose or motivation (92)
12.83%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (38)
5.3%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.72%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (77)
10.74%
Financial worries (46)
6.42%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (31)
4.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (43)
6%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.35%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (69)
9.62%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (56)
7.81%

Watched Threads