DJ22
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi all,

I know a lot of us are starting BRTC soon and thought it may be a good idea to start a thread for people that have been through BRTC to give hints on handy pieces of kit to take or people to share good deals on kit that they have come across, i.e. irons, ironing boards etc

A good deal I come across today for a razor was at boots for the Wilkinson's Sword Hydro 5 with extra blades included; http://m.boots.com/mt/www.boots.com/...-+All+Products. Never used myself but have read good reviews on them and seems a decent price.
chris-d-lpool
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got the king of shaves razor and blades for 1p through Martin Lewis' money expert site. Not sure if the offer will still be on. It's a subscription but you can cancel anytime or it's £5 a month for 4 blades which is cheap.

Only other tip I'd say would be buy your stuff off eBay. It's so much cheaper. Bought the majority of my kit on there.

Also for people who aren't currently working, the jobcentre will give you upto £200 to pay for your kit if you take receipts in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AlphaTango
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Take shaving gel instead or as well as shaving foam. It needs to be clean for inspection and the pressurised cans tend to leak throughout the day.

Take a really small wash bag to carry around polish, on/off brushes. (When you do battle PT in your boots outside, you'll be expected to have them polished and clean for your next timing.)

Combination pad-locks, don't piss about with keys. You'll lose one and then look like a **** getting the bolt cutters from the guard room.

Re-sealable bags. Empty foot powder into one of them, then dip your foot into the bag to powder your feet. That's only for CPT.

On CPT, use the plastic spoon from your ration pack to eat all your meals. Take an extra spork to be your inspection one.

Not sure if they are on the kit list these days but flip-flops are a must for around the block, get air to your feet especially during summer intakes.

Ensure you have a decent iron, ironing board. When you first get your blue shirts, wash them 2-3 times then iron out the seams. Will make your shirts 400% easier to iron than just trying to do It straight out of the packet.

Take a sock bag to stick in the wash that's labelled.

Don't take washing powder, use tablets.

Nailbrush, tough boot brush and a toothbrush will help you clean everything especially as the weather gets worse towards the end of the year.

Ensure you really scrub your black shoes when you get them before you start polishing them and wear one pair while you polish the other. If you don't, the second you put them on all the polish will crack off and you'll have wasted hours.
ryan9900
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AlphaTango)
Take shaving gel instead or as well as shaving foam. It needs to be clean for inspection and the pressurised cans tend to leak throughout the day.

Take a really small wash bag to carry around polish, on/off brushes. (When you do battle PT in your boots outside, you'll be expected to have them polished and clean for your next timing.)

Combination pad-locks, don't piss about with keys. You'll lose one and then look like a **** getting the bolt cutters from the guard room.

Re-sealable bags. Empty foot powder into one of them, then dip your foot into the bag to powder your feet. That's only for CPT.

On CPT, use the plastic spoon from your ration pack to eat all your meals. Take an extra spork to be your inspection one.

Not sure if they are on the kit list these days but flip-flops are a must for around the block, get air to your feet especially during summer intakes.

Ensure you have a decent iron, ironing board. When you first get your blue shirts, wash them 2-3 times then iron out the seams. Will make your shirts 400% easier to iron than just trying to do It straight out of the packet.

Nailbrush, tough boot brush and a toothbrush will help you clean everything especially as the weather gets worse towards the end of the year.

Ensure you really scrub your black shoes when you get them before you start polishing them and wear one pair while you polish the other. If you don't, the second you put them on all the polish will crack off and you'll have wasted hours.
Invaluable information here. Thanks for your time and effort on these threads, it's really making a huge difference and helping a lot of us out.
DJ22
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlphaTango)

Great post, exactly the type of information that will help anyone going through the training. The combination locks are looking to be an expensive part of the kit list, they're around £6-£8 per lock and need 6, although I already have one. I used a combination lock for PRTC and it was much easier than needing to worry about misplacing a key (which a couple of people did)
Carl25
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you need to take much to PRTC? Is there any ironing required at PRTC? And are earplugs on a night ok?
Carl25
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When asked what my biggest challenge would be in my interview I said ironing/sewing as never done either before and keeping all my kit right. Is there much kit to maintain and is there washing machines?
ryan9900
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Carl25)
Do you need to take much to PRTC? Is there any ironing required at PRTC? And are earplugs on a night ok?
I've sent you a PM with with PRTC kit list. You do need to take quite a lot for 3 days, it's surprising!
Carl25
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Cheers Ryan will have a look now
chris-d-lpool
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
With regards to combi locks...

eBay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When asked what my biggest challenge would be in my interview I said ironing/sewing as never done either before and keeping all my kit right. Is there much kit to maintain and is there washing machines?
Do you really think they'll tell you to go down to the nearest river to bash your clothes over a rock? :rolleyes:

Yes to both.
Carl25
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Haha thought so just making sure thanks
She_wolf
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No ironing. Earplugs are up to you.
Carl25
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks!
DJ22
Rep:
?
Quick question regarding the name tags that we need for BRTC, has anyone who's done BRTC got them pre-printed with name and last 3 digits of their service number on, or have you got blank ones and wrote on them once there? Cheers
She_wolf
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have a slightly silly question, I don't use face cloths, do I still buy them? Are they needed for inspection?

Also regarding name tags, we were only told 6, but I hear stories about ppl made to have tags on everything, including each sock! Is it still the case?
chris-d-lpool
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got a roll of tags and an indelible marker with it in home and bargain for 1.49...

16 days until BRTC
She_wolf
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by chris-d-lpool)
I got a roll of tags and an indelible marker with it in home and bargain for 1.49...

16 days until BRTC
So did I Mine from Morrisons school uniform section
AlphaTango
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by She_wolf)
I have a slightly silly question, I don't use face cloths, do I still buy them? Are they needed for inspection?

Also regarding name tags, we were only told 6, but I hear stories about ppl made to have tags on everything, including each sock! Is it still the case?

(Original post by DJ22)
Quick question regarding the name tags that we need for BRTC, has anyone who's done BRTC got them pre-printed with name and last 3 digits of their service number on, or have you got blank ones and wrote on them once there? Cheers
I have my name sewed into every sock, but I had heard they changed it so you no longer had to spend 7 hours sewing on the first night.

I took 50 labels, 25 printed with "SURNAME 123" and 25 blank. You can order them online If you google "RAF Name Labels" for a fiver or so. Make sure you get Iron-On ones, then you can just sew round the edges.
chris-d-lpool
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Re padlocks.. I took 2 combi locks to PRTC but it says 6 on the kit list. The block I was staying in had keys on the cupboards nothing for a padlock. Is every block different? They're quite pricey £15 for 2.

11 days until I move to Campion flight, BB7 at RTS Halton.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (192)
29.54%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (108)
16.62%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.92%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.31%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.85%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.69%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.85%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise