The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Any questions about soas?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Celtucs
Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey so I want to study history at soas my as results were ACCD. I got an A in English literature however I got a C for history and politics and a D in sociology would this hurt my chances of getting on a history course at soas...need help I really want to go there tbh.
these were my as level results sorry forgot to mention

Posted from TSR Mobile
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by xxblue
Hi again,

I know alot of people say this but I've always wanted to go SOAS. Everytime I call them they keep saying I won't be accepted because I got ABC and the requirement was ABB I was sooo close to get an A* and even a B but unfortunately they still wouldn't consider it. I don't want to get it remarked because I'm scared my grade will go even lower because they are alot harsher when it gets remarked. I will call again and again but I doubt I will be given a place. I called another university (Birkbeck) and they accepted me so is there any chance for me to transfer to SOAS second year ug? Please help

Hi,

Im afraid they really are very stringent about the ABB policy because they would be fined a huge amount of money for accepting lower than that through clearing. In terms of getting your papers remarked - Im pretty sure your grade wont be lowered. That they would always take the highest mark awarded, so basically it can only be marked higher or stay the same. Double check that but that's what Ive been told in the past.

It is possible to transfer from another university to SOAS considering you get at least a 2:1 (60%) in your first year.
Original post by Celtucs
these were my as level results sorry forgot to mention

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,

Unfortunately the minimum grades to be considered through clearing are ABB or its equivalent.
Reply 63
Hi,

So my firm offer was for SOAS Law LLB however I did not get in due to missing my entry requirements and receiving BBC at A level. I got a C in History and my teacher is requesting a remark for me. The thibg is, I really wanted to get into SOAS for ages and I called them to clear but they said no as I needed a minimum of ABB. I even had mitigating circumstances this year (health issues) but they said no still.

Should I keep calling them to see if they'll accept me?

I really don't mind if I don't study Law there, as long as I study at SOAS.*
Reply 64
Original post by sumaiya Fatine
Hi,

Im afraid they really are very stringent about the ABB policy because they would be fined a huge amount of money for accepting lower than that through clearing. In terms of getting your papers remarked - Im pretty sure your grade wont be lowered. That they would always take the highest mark awarded, so basically it can only be marked higher or stay the same. Double check that but that's what Ive been told in the past.

It is possible to transfer from another university to SOAS considering you get at least a 2:1 (60%) in your first year.

Hi,

Thank you soo much for taking your time out and replying to me by the way. Also do you know how the transfer system works?

Will it be easier for me to get in because I'm transferring from another univeristy of London branch? and how likely is my application going to be successful?

Thanks ahain
Hi,
How soon after enrolment will I be able to change my course?
Initially I had an offer for Chinese/Korean and Chinese/Linguistics; I wasn't ready for uni, chose the first and took a gap year. During that I changed to History/Chinese via email... I'm pretty decided now on History/Linguistics after lots of reading - do you think I'll be able to change on the first day? Perhaps even from now via email again? Or are they put off by apparent undecidedness?
Original post by chaimaa
Hi,

So my firm offer was for SOAS Law LLB however I did not get in due to missing my entry requirements and receiving BBC at A level. I got a C in History and my teacher is requesting a remark for me. The thibg is, I really wanted to get into SOAS for ages and I called them to clear but they said no as I needed a minimum of ABB. I even had mitigating circumstances this year (health issues) but they said no still.

Should I keep calling them to see if they'll accept me?

I really don't mind if I don't study Law there, as long as I study at SOAS.*

Im afraid the only way to get in this year is if your remarked paper is graded at least ABB. But next year, they are lowering the minimum requirements in clearing so more people with under ABB will be able to get in. Chin up Chaima - Allah may have something better planned for you. :wink:
Original post by xxblue
Hi,

Thank you soo much for taking your time out and replying to me by the way. Also do you know how the transfer system works?

Will it be easier for me to get in because I'm transferring from another univeristy of London branch? and how likely is my application going to be successful?

Thanks ahain

I honestly couldn't tell you anything about transferring since I didn't do it myself, but I would assume that it would need to be in the same subject as the one you are applying for (if you would like to proceed directly into the next year as SOAS) and that you need a 60% average. I think - and don't quote me on this - you would need to reapply through UCAS.

In terms of transferring from another London university, I couldn't tell you either way but I wouldn't imagine it makes much difference.
What you can do to ensure the success of your application is work your backside off and get as high a mark as possible in your first year - high marks are always very attractive to SOAS. I have a friend who transferred from Royal Holloway doing History directly into her second year of History as SOAS and as far as I can remember she was sitting on a low 2:1.
Original post by besarlalluvia
Hi,
Initially I had an offer for Chinese/Korean and Chinese/Linguistics; I wasn't ready for uni, chose the first and took a gap year. During that I changed to History/Chinese via email... I'm pretty decided now on History/Linguistics after lots of reading - do you think I'll be able to change on the first day? Perhaps even from now via email again? Or are they put off by apparent undecidedness?

Try to change your course now by emailing [email protected]
Explain what course you would like to change to and why - they usually have no problem with it!
Try to change your course now by emailing [email protected]
Explain what course you would like to change to and why - they usually have no problem with it!

Hi there, what you will need to do here is to email [email protected], the guy at the other end is really helpful, as a friend of my wanted to do the same thing and got a response back almost immediately. But l do remember them being told that they must continue to enrol under their present degree title, just so they complete enrollment, and during Welcome Week to choose their modules for their new degree and get the degree transfer authorized by both faculties. But email [email protected] first, okay.
Hi,

Hi there, what you will need to do here is to email [email protected], the guy at the other end is really helpful, as a friend of my wanted to do the same thing and change their degree. They got a response back almost immediately. But l do remember them being told that they must continue to enrol under their present degree title, just so they complete enrollment, and during Welcome Week to choose their modules for their new degree and get the degree transfer authorized by both faculties. But email [email protected] first, okay.
Original post by non-ki-san
Hi there, what you will need to do here is to email [email protected], the guy at the other end is really helpful, as a friend of my wanted to do the same thing and change their degree. They got a response back almost immediately. But l do remember them being told that they must continue to enrol under their present degree title, just so they complete enrollment, and during Welcome Week to choose their modules for their new degree and get the degree transfer authorized by both faculties. But email [email protected] first, okay.

Thank you so much
Reply 72
I honestly couldn't tell you anything about transferring since I didn't do it myself, but I would assume that it would need to be in the same subject as the one you are applying for (if you would like to proceed directly into the next year as SOAS) and that you need a 60% average. I think - and don't quote me on this - you would need to reapply through UCAS.

In terms of transferring from another London university, I couldn't tell you either way but I wouldn't imagine it makes much difference.
What you can do to ensure the success of your application is work your backside off and get as high a mark as possible in your first year - high marks are always very attractive to SOAS. I have a friend who transferred from Royal Holloway doing History directly into her second year of History as SOAS and as far as I can remember she was sitting on a low 2:1.

Thank you for your quick responses Sumaiya, may allah reward you for answering our questions with honesty and kindness.

I will transfer inshallah second year and contact the univeristy to get more information as to how this transfer works. But one quick question will I be put down because I have the ABC grade for a-levels or will the admissions look at my first year results first? Also, do you know when we find out if we have have been successful in our application? And what if the modules for the first year at birkbeck are not the same as the modules completed at SOAS ???

Will I be put at a disadvantage??

Thanks again for your help Sumaiya :smile:
Hi there,

I am going into my final year of BA History and Politics at SOAS and would like to give prospective students the opportunity to get some answers from a current student - so if you do have any questions that you think I might be able to answer, please ask away!

Sumaiya

hey i just got into SOAS *woop*, any fresher tips?:biggrin:
Reply 74
How many people are they typically on each course? I know this varies a lot, but do you have any general idea?

Reply 75
Hi,

Its definitely possible but also dependent on the course - however if you go through clearing and have got less than ABB or its equivalent (ie. A* B C) unfortunately SOAS wont be able to offer a place. :frown:

So they will accept with A* BC????
Original post by Envee
How many people are they typically on each course? I know this varies a lot, but do you have any general idea?

Hey I found this http://www.soas.ac.uk/timetable/current/ if you go to Course and find your subjects. Under each course there is a number indicating estimate number of students (you'll see when you look) however idk if this is accurate
Reply 77
Hey I found this http://www.soas.ac.uk/timetable/current/ if you go to Course and find your subjects. Under each course there is a number indicating estimate number of students (you'll see when you look) however idk if this is accurate

Thanks for this! :biggrin: It's very confusing though :tongue:
Original post by xxblue
Thank you for your quick responses Sumaiya, may allah reward you for answering our questions with honesty and kindness.

I will transfer inshallah second year and contact the univeristy to get more information as to how this transfer works. But one quick question will I be put down because I have the ABC grade for a-levels or will the admissions look at my first year results first? Also, do you know when we find out if we have have been successful in our application? And what if the modules for the first year at birkbeck are not the same as the modules completed at SOAS ???

Will I be put at a disadvantage??

Thanks again for your help Sumaiya :smile:

No problem!
Unfortunately again I couldn't give you a certain answer - but Im sure that the majority of the focus will be on your first year results because that's when they can tell how well you would cope at university. I

n terms of success of application - it will likely be after you have submitted your first year results which is towards the middle of July iA.

I don't think the selection of modules are hugely important - my Royal Holloway friend was doing WW History modules and transferred to SOAS to do Middle History modules. If you do the core History module offered my Birkbeck it should probably be okay. Buut to be absolutely certain, I would email [email protected]

All the best iA!
Original post by itsamirbitches
hey i just got into SOAS *woop*, any fresher tips?:biggrin:

Congratz! Yay!

Hmm tips - lets see...
I think the biggest piece of advice I could give you is to not take anything personally: everyone has an opinion about everything at SOAS, and what can happen is, what begins as a healthy debate turns into a really emotional and personal argument. So debate but keep it clean.

Oh and the years will literally FLY by as you try to keep up with deadlines - before you know it you will be having your exams in May and your first year will be over! So try to make the most of uni and get involved - but also don't let that get in the way of studying.

ALSO - the first essay marks you receive back will probably be shockingly low compared to what youre used to getting at A levels. This is COMPLETELY NATURAL and expected. The university style of studying, essay writing and marking are very different from what we were used to, which is why (for most of us) the first year is a 'practice' year and does not contribute to our final degree mark.

Those are a few tips - if you want anything specific, let me know!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending