gghjk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Since I am planning to apply for university this autumn, I really need to decide which course to take at uni. I am stuck between Agriculture and Geography. I have chosen the two as I have always had an interest in them, from a farming background whilst always been fascinated by the weather and geography as such. I enjoy both subjects and have visited universities for both courses (Portsmouth and Royal Agricultural).
The reason I cant decide is I don't entirely know what I want to do in the future. I have realized that agriculture is a narrow subject and that geography is a wider subject. I do want to have a career in farming for a time, but im not sure whether I want to do it for my entire life as I would like to work in America's national parks such as Yellowstone. I work part time on a farm and enjoy it very much, and I enjoy doing geography at school.
If anyone has studied either of these subjects it would be great to know where they are leading you, along with the pros and cons of choosing either subject. I know the final decision is up to me, but any advice will be very helpful in making a choice.
Thanks
p.s im very indecisive
oxymoronic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

It sounds like you've got some very good pros and cons for both courses. I wouldn't think about this as what career do you want to do for the rest of your life as there is very little that you simply can not do in the future if you do subject X over subject Y.

Have you looked into the modules for geography at your different choices? You might find that some courses will allow you to take modules in the areas of agriculture that interests you most whereas at other universities you might end up in a situation where the geography degree has little relevance to your interests. Likewise, you might find that you can access the agricultural aspects of a university without actually doing the degree (for example, if there's a young farmers club) so it's certainly worth looking into what is on offer.

One thing I would say is to think about exactly what it is about the agricultural degree that you like so much and likewise, what are the geography aspects that you really like as you might be able to find an associated course which ticks both boxes. Environmental science is the one which comes to mind there which might fit with the elements of geography that you like, where you may well be able to do it as a joint honours course with agriculture. Have you looked at Nottingham? They seem to have an array of courses in that area.
gghjk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by oxymoronic)
Hi,

It sounds like you've got some very good pros and cons for both courses. I wouldn't think about this as what career do you want to do for the rest of your life as there is very little that you simply can not do in the future if you do subject X over subject Y.

Have you looked into the modules for geography at your different choices? You might find that some courses will allow you to take modules in the areas of agriculture that interests you most whereas at other universities you might end up in a situation where the geography degree has little relevance to your interests. Likewise, you might find that you can access the agricultural aspects of a university without actually doing the degree (for example, if there's a young farmers club) so it's certainly worth looking into what is on offer.

One thing I would say is to think about exactly what it is about the agricultural degree that you like so much and likewise, what are the geography aspects that you really like as you might be able to find an associated course which ticks both boxes. Environmental science is the one which comes to mind there which might fit with the elements of geography that you like, where you may well be able to do it as a joint honours course with agriculture. Have you looked at Nottingham? They seem to have an array of courses in that area.
Thanks! I think like you said I need to spend some time looking at the courses to see what modules appeal to me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (5)
8.2%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (5)
8.2%
No, but maybe I will look into it (15)
24.59%
No and I wouldn't consider it (36)
59.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise