The Student Room Group

getting a Macbook through DSA?

I know this topic has been exhausted to death on here these past few years but I'd quite like to know some more up to date information concerning this.

Im applying to do History and Politics at uni and I have been approved for DSA, I have my needs assessment soon and I would like to know If it would be possible for me to get a macbook (my dyslexia report has recommended I use a laptop in uni to gather and organise notes so I will almost certainly be provided a laptop).
My reasoning for this is NOT to rip off SFE as Im sure many will comment, but more rather that I am well accustomed to using MacBooks for over 10 years, we have never had a Windows PC in the household, and currently I share a Macbook with my younger sister (who is also dyslexic). I have tried to use windows 8 in school before but it has given me a motion-sickness induced migraine, so I stick to Mac's at home.
The Macbook i share with my sister currently is a lifesaver for us! We have mind mapping software on the mac which has helped me a lot through my A-levels and my sister through her GCSE's! and the text to speech function and speech to text function are particularly useful, as I suffer to recognise phonetics.
This being said, if its unlikely that I will get a macbook, Would I be able to upgrade to a Mac (pay the additional cost of a macbook)??
Anyone with past experiences would be particularly helpful,

trolls please stay away!
Reply 1
Original post by haventdonemuch
I know this topic has been exhausted to death on here these past few years but I'd quite like to know some more up to date information concerning this.

Im applying to do History and Politics at uni and I have been approved for DSA, I have my needs assessment soon and I would like to know If it would be possible for me to get a macbook (my dyslexia report has recommended I use a laptop in uni to gather and organise notes so I will almost certainly be provided a laptop).
My reasoning for this is NOT to rip off SFE as Im sure many will comment, but more rather that I am well accustomed to using MacBooks for over 10 years, we have never had a Windows PC in the household, and currently I share a Macbook with my younger sister (who is also dyslexic). I have tried to use windows 8 in school before but it has given me a motion-sickness induced migraine, so I stick to Mac's at home.
The Macbook i share with my sister currently is a lifesaver for us! We have mind mapping software on the mac which has helped me a lot through my A-levels and my sister through her GCSE's! and the text to speech function and speech to text function are particularly useful, as I suffer to recognise phonetics.
This being said, if its unlikely that I will get a macbook, Would I be able to upgrade to a Mac (pay the additional cost of a macbook)??

trolls please stay away!

My flatmate gets DSA, she had the option of getting a free laptop (she took it, and within six months it was unusable, as it was a seriously bad cheap one) or paying around £400 for a MacBook. If she'd taken the MacBook, she'd have received all the same software for free as usual, so apart from the additional cost there's no downside.
Hi, I received my new laptop through dsa earlier this week. I was recommended a windows laptop by my assessor even though I struggle with the operating system after years of using macs. However this is understandable due to the difference in price. I was allowed to upgrade to a mac of my choice, to change from the toshiba laptop that was recommended to a 13" MacBook Air it cost me about £570. As not only do you have to pay the additional cost for the laptop but the cost of upgrading software and any other equipment provided. If you are able I would recommend upgrading as the quality difference in the laptops alone is massive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Damask-
My flatmate gets DSA, she had the option of getting a free laptop (she took it, and within six months it was unusable, as it was a seriously bad cheap one) or paying around £400 for a MacBook. If she'd taken the MacBook, she'd have received all the same software for free as usual, so apart from the additional cost there's no downside.

Original post by LucyRyan13
Hi, I received my new laptop through dsa earlier this week. I was recommended a windows laptop by my assessor even though I struggle with the operating system after years of using macs. However this is understandable due to the difference in price. I was allowed to upgrade to a mac of my choice, to change from the toshiba laptop that was recommended to a 13" MacBook Air it cost me about £570. As not only do you have to pay the additional cost for the laptop but the cost of upgrading software and any other equipment provided. If you are able I would recommend upgrading as the quality difference in the laptops alone is massive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for the advice! I think I will definitely upgrade to a mac
You should be offered the opportunity to upgrade any equipment you have been awarded by your DSA supplier. It is vital that this is dealt with (and paid) when you first contact your supplier.
Original post by CelticSymphony67
You should be offered the opportunity to upgrade any equipment you have been awarded by your DSA supplier. It is vital that this is dealt with (and paid) when you first contact your supplier.

thank you very much for the information!
Hi guys! Please help me! I was given a HP laptop for DSA (which I am very grateful for). However, I've been having a lot of problems with laptop mainly the computer freezing continuously and having to be constantly reset. Apart from this, I have been struggling to use the new windows system even when training has been given.

The suppliers are coming on Monday to pick up my laptop to see if it can be fixed. Is it possible for me to upgrade to another laptop that is suitable for me? (I am willing to pay whatever it costs) I don't want them to waste money that can be used for someone else, on a laptop that I struggle to use.

Thank you for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by WorldPharmacist
Hi guys! Please help me! I was given a HP laptop for DSA (which I am very grateful for). However, I've been having a lot of problems with laptop mainly the computer freezing continuously and having to be constantly reset. Apart from this, I have been struggling to use the new windows system even when training has been given.

The suppliers are coming on Monday to pick up my laptop to see if it can be fixed. Is it possible for me to upgrade to another laptop that is suitable for me? (I am willing to pay whatever it costs) I don't want them to waste money that can be used for someone else, on a laptop that I struggle to use.

Thank you for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I'm afraid once a laptop has been provided it can't be returned or upgraded.
Original post by NJones
No, I'm afraid once a laptop has been provided it can't be returned or upgraded.

That's a shame because when I had the needs assessment I wasn't told about the new windows system and I was meant to get a different laptop to what I was actually given (its says Toshiba not HP). It's really annoying to not be told about the changes. On top of that when I recieved extra computer training courtesy of my uni it was on the old windows software (windows 7 I think). Such a mess to be honest. Thanks for your help though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haventdonemuch
trolls please stay away!
my name is Alisha and I am in the process of applying for a spot in software engineering program at university. As someone who has always been dedicated to using technology, to overcome challenges associated with my disability. I am reaching out to inquire the possibility of assistance from the DSA

I have been using an iPad throughout my secondary and college education to help manage my disability, which includes achromatopsia (full colorblindness), nystagmus (eye movement irregularities), and astigmatism. The iPad has proven invaluable for note-taking and accessing course materials.

For the upcoming Software Engineering course, I am required to use a MacBook Pro 14 inch to accommodate the demands of programming and software-related tasks. To ensure that I can effectively manage both the programming requirements and my note-taking needs, I am seeking assistance in obtaining a 12.9 inch iPad. This would allow me to use it for making notes, accessing PowerPoints, and ensuring an inclusive learning experience.

Understanding that these devices may be provided through DSA, I am willing to contribute financially towards both the MacBook Pro and the iPad. I believe that having both devices will significantly enhance my ability to excel in my studies and overcome the challenges posed by my disability

I would greatly appreciate your guidance on the process of applying for DSA support in obtaining these devices and any additional information.

Do you guys think DSA will provide me with both? I don’t mind financially contributing
DSA will provide £200 or whatever pounds towards a laptop if you choose to buy your own. This has to be confirmed by the DSA team and you will have to provide the receipts first before they give you the money.
Original post by random_matt
DSA will provide £200 or whatever pounds towards a laptop if you choose to buy your own. This has to be confirmed by the DSA team and you will have to provide the receipts first before they give you the money.

But will they be able to provide both the iPad Pro and the MacBook Pro?
Original post by Alisham161
But will they be able to provide both the iPad Pro and the MacBook Pro?

No. And they themselves do not provide you anything.

A) You pay an upgrade cost via the supplier they provide to you.
or
B) You and DSA come to an agreement that you will yourself buy from a the high street/online store. They then give you some money after they receive the receipt.

Quick Reply

Latest