VickyIsabelle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Pretty self-explanatory but I'm thinking of taking A Level Law and I was wondering what kind of things you learn, what types of exam/questions and any advice?
Josh_Stride
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there,

I don't actually take A Level Law myself but I know a few people who do/did and I know people who want to be Lawyers/Soliciter/Barristers some of whom have and some of whom haven't taken A Level Law.

From what I understand you mostly study legal precedent and how it is applied; essentially the same as at university level except obviously much less detailed.

My understanding of it is - from speaking with Law Lecturers and from my own research when I was considering that path - that if you want to be a Law acadmeic, a lawyer (of any description) although a Law A Level won't hinder you, it isn't the best path to take. Universities - expecially Oxbridge and the rest of the Russell Group - prefer Law applicants who have studied humanities such as English Literature, History etc. and even the more difficult sciences such as Maths, Further Maths and Physics (I know it sounds bizare but the number of Law students/lecturers I've met with enitrely science based A Levels is amazing!)

The main thing of course if you want to study Law at uni is that they'll be looking for you to have independantly read cases and legal text books and to probably have done some work experience in a soliciter's office or in a court or something similar.

That all being said - and I hope that you found it useful - if you are considering taking it simply because you are interested, I would recomend it. It can be a very interesting subject and something that you can really sink your teeth into!

In terms of exam questions, I should imagine that it's very essay based.

Hope I've helped!
VickyIsabelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by Josh_Stride)
Hi there,

I don't actually take A Level Law myself but I know a few people who do/did and I know people who want to be Lawyers/Soliciter/Barristers some of whom have and some of whom haven't taken A Level Law.

From what I understand you mostly study legal precedent and how it is applied; essentially the same as at university level except obviously much less detailed.

My understanding of it is - from speaking with Law Lecturers and from my own research when I was considering that path - that if you want to be a Law acadmeic, a lawyer (of any description) although a Law A Level won't hinder you, it isn't the best path to take. Universities - expecially Oxbridge and the rest of the Russell Group - prefer Law applicants who have studied humanities such as English Literature, History etc. and even the more difficult sciences such as Maths, Further Maths and Physics (I know it sounds bizare but the number of Law students/lecturers I've met with enitrely science based A Levels is amazing!)

The main thing of course if you want to study Law at uni is that they'll be looking for you to have independantly read cases and legal text books and to probably have done some work experience in a soliciter's office or in a court or something similar.

That all being said - and I hope that you found it useful - if you are considering taking it simply because you are interested, I would recomend it. It can be a very interesting subject and something that you can really sink your teeth into!

In terms of exam questions, I should imagine that it's very essay based.

Hope I've helped!
Thank you for the advice its not that I want to take law at uni (I want to do history) but law has really interested me. Also, because my career path is quite hard to get into, I have spoken to universities and some people who have studied history have managed to get training at a solicitors so I thought law may help me. My other subjects would be history, philosophy and ethics, and english literature.
EllieSheps
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I took A level Law (OCR) and I loved it! I've also applied to study it at university.

For my first year I did the English Legal system which mainly covered the basics. This includes how laws are made, how you become a lawyer/ magistrate, the different types of courts and the types of law. Although this may sound boring it is much needed and allows other areas of the law to make sense.
In my second year I did Criminal Law. As this is the area of law I would like to go into, I found this particularly interesting. There is a lot to learn and this includes learning the names and fact of many cases. The areas I studied included murder/ manslaughter, robbery and burglary, theft, defences and the basics on how a person is guilty when committing a crime.

Overall I loved studying A level law however I also had an amazing teacher and I was very enthusiastic so if you believe you want to chose this subjects consider these things too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
VickyIsabelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by EllieSheps)
I took A level Law (OCR) and I loved it! I've also applied to study it at university.

For my first year I did the English Legal system which mainly covered the basics. This includes how laws are made, how you become a lawyer/ magistrate, the different types of courts and the types of law. Although this may sound boring it is much needed and allows other areas of the law to make sense.
In my second year I did Criminal Law. As this is the area of law I would like to go into, I found this particularly interesting. There is a lot to learn and this includes learning the names and fact of many cases. The areas I studied included murder/ manslaughter, robbery and burglary, theft, defences and the basics on how a person is guilty when committing a crime.

Overall I loved studying A level law however I also had an amazing teacher and I was very enthusiastic so if you believe you want to chose this subjects consider these things too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for the advice what other subjects did you do may I ask?
Meli.Hardege
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do AQA A-Level law now and I love it and plan on studying Law at uni!

For the first year we do one exam on civil law and criminal law which involves a scenario which you have to apply to a legal concept and then a few mini essays. The other exam has more options on topics, at my college we did about how words written in law are interpreted in courts, we also did about how laws are created and finally we did about lay magistrates and juries and their role in court.

I haven't done my A2 yet but I know we do Murder and manslaughter which is criminal and then further civil law. We also learn about the defences so how a lawyer would defend their client in court. The exam is then similar to the AS where you are given a scenario however no you have to apply your knowledge to write what defence would be used in that scenario.

I would recommend taking law it's interesting and will not disadvantage you in anyway, I personally found it helped me decide whether or not studying law was suitable for me. I will warn you now though it's a lot of work and as with every a-level revision is so important and learning your cases is vital!

Hope thats helped
VickyIsabelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by Meli.Hardege)
I do AQA A-Level law now and I love it and plan on studying Law at uni!

For the first year we do one exam on civil law and criminal law which involves a scenario which you have to apply to a legal concept and then a few mini essays. The other exam has more options on topics, at my college we did about how words written in law are interpreted in courts, we also did about how laws are created and finally we did about lay magistrates and juries and their role in court.

I haven't done my A2 yet but I know we do Murder and manslaughter which is criminal and then further civil law. We also learn about the defences so how a lawyer would defend their client in court. The exam is then similar to the AS where you are given a scenario however no you have to apply your knowledge to write what defence would be used in that scenario.

I would recommend taking law it's interesting and will not disadvantage you in anyway, I personally found it helped me decide whether or not studying law was suitable for me. I will warn you now though it's a lot of work and as with every a-level revision is so important and learning your cases is vital!

Hope thats helped
Thank you it has helped, what other subjects did you take may I ask?
Meli.Hardege
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by VickyIsabelle)
Thank you it has helped, what other subjects did you take may I ask?
I take AS Maths and French and just sat my A2 German (I speak it fluently so did it early). What other subjects do you plan on taking?
VickyIsabelle
Rep:
?
I take AS Maths and French and just sat my A2 German (I speak it fluently so did it early). What other subjects do you plan on taking?
History. English Lit and Religious Studies/Philosophy & Ethics - I like essays
Meli.Hardege
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
History. English Lit and Religious Studies/Philosophy & Ethics - I like essays
Hah wow that's a lot of essays! Good Luck! I warn you now though I had no social life around exams because revision is killer but it's worth it and I've definitely made up for it this summer hah
VickyIsabelle
Rep:
?
Hah wow that's a lot of essays! Good Luck! I warn you now though I had no social life around exams because revision is killer but it's worth it and I've definitely made up for it this summer hah
Haha okay thanks
subjunctivehistorian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Pretty self-explanatory but I'm thinking of taking A Level Law and I was wondering what kind of things you learn, what types of exam/questions and any advice?
Hello
I have some friends who are doing law and they really enjoy it! It's quite essay based I think and there is a lot of scope for showing your own viewpoint, though you also have to know quite a lot of theory stuff.
I have noticed that you also plan to take Philosophy and Ethics - if you want to apply to a russell group uni bear in mind that these two subjects are often not considered 'facilitating' and therefore you may not be able to make a competitive application for history. Instead of doing philosophy and ethics as well as law, I would personally recommend swapping one of them for maths, or even a language/classical civilization, if your college offers it.
However, from what I've heard law is really fun and interesting!

Good luck
VickyIsabelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by subjunctivehistorian)
Hello
I have some friends who are doing law and they really enjoy it! It's quite essay based I think and there is a lot of scope for showing your own viewpoint, though you also have to know quite a lot of theory stuff.
I have noticed that you also plan to take Philosophy and Ethics - if you want to apply to a russell group uni bear in mind that these two subjects are often not considered 'facilitating' and therefore you may not be able to make a competitive application for history. Instead of doing philosophy and ethics as well as law, I would personally recommend swapping one of them for maths, or even a language/classical civilization, if your college offers it.
However, from what I've heard law is really fun and interesting!

Good luck
Okay, thanks for the advice, I'll bear that in mind
EllieSheps
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you for the advice what other subjects did you do may I ask?
I also took maths, biology and art. So I carried on with 4 subjects in A2
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (192)
14.29%
I'm not sure (59)
4.39%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.24%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.75%
I'm not a current university student (663)
49.33%

Watched Threads