How long did it take you?

Watch this thread
JayJay-C19
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
How long did it take you to read set texts in English Literature? I am studying The Great Gatsby and Enduring Love first and I want to know how long it should take on average to read them, properly?

Also, how did you find your texts? What did you study? What did you have to do for them? Thoughts when reading?
tory88
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Reading speeds vary massively between people, so there really isn't any way someone can answer that. The best preparation you can do whilst reading the texts for the first time is just to pause after each chapter and consider the themes running throughout the book, and how they have developed. If you feel like a more academic study then you could read the texts in conjunction with CliffNotes, which will give a much more in depth analysis of the text then you're likely to come up with on your own.
JayJay-C19
Rep:
(Original post by tory88)
Reading speeds vary massively between people, so there really isn't any way someone can answer that. The best preparation you can do whilst reading the texts for the first time is just to pause after each chapter and consider the themes running throughout the book, and how they have developed. If you feel like a more academic study then you could read the texts in conjunction with CliffNotes, which will give a much more in depth analysis of the text then you're likely to come up with on your own.

Exactly... they vary massively so I asked how long it took YOU, like you personally...

Thanks for the advice.
jamesg2
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
As already pointed out reading speeds vary. How long it takes you, is just how long it takes you.
However, as you are reading [ and not after each chapter ] it is a good idea to jot down points you feel may be important. And absolutely essential jot down the page number. Nothing is more irritating than trying to find a quote etc when you cannot remember the page number.

Don't worry if when you are jotting down ideas they do not make much sense to you. They only do when you have finished and are then looking over your notes. It is then you see the patterns.

I am no great fan of Cliff notes, however I did come across this book which can be downloaded from itunes or purchased as a paper copy from Amazon. It is F. Scott Fitzgerald The Great Gatsby by Kathleen Parkinson. Her understanding of the depth and detail of the novel is quite breath taking. If you are going to buy any notes I recommend that book. I tutored a student last year who wanted help with Gatsby and, not knowing the novel, I bought the book. Boy! was I soon on top of that novel.

Good luck with your studies.
JayJay-C19
Rep:
(Original post by jamesg2)
As already pointed out reading speeds vary. How long it takes you, is just how long it takes you.
However, as you are reading [ and not after each chapter ] it is a good idea to jot down points you feel may be important. And absolutely essential jot down the page number. Nothing is more irritating than trying to find a quote etc when you cannot remember the page number.

Don't worry if when you are jotting down ideas they do not make much sense to you. They only do when you have finished and are then looking over your notes. It is then you see the patterns.

I am no great fan of Cliff notes, however I did come across this book which can be downloaded from itunes or purchased as a paper copy from Amazon. It is F. Scott Fitzgerald The Great Gatsby by Kathleen Parkinson. Her understanding of the depth and detail of the novel is quite breath taking. If you are going to buy any notes I recommend that book. I tutored a student last year who wanted help with Gatsby and, not knowing the novel, I bought the book. Boy! was I soon on top of that novel.

Good luck with your studies.
Thanks for your help!

What about if there's bits you come across that you don't understand? Should you look into that page/passage or?
jamesg2
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JayJay-C19)
Thanks for your help!

What about if there's bits you come across that you don't understand? Should you look into that page/passage or?
Absolutely. Nothing is put into a novel by an author without a reason. When you come across such points do an internet search to find out what it is or means. And having found that out apply it to the novel.

Usually writers drop in ideas and leave them for the reader to pick up or not. Many readers just ignore them and in doing that miss many interesting details. A detail may not immediately make sense, but in time it should.

But always track the details. they are not there by accident.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (31)
34.07%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (42)
46.15%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (17)
18.68%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.1%

Watched Threads