I have some questions about clearing...

Watch
>Username<
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've read the TSR guide and the UCAS guide... I just want to confirm some things and I have some questions...

(E.g your firm is AAA and your insurance is BBB)

- On results day your grades are CCC therefore you are put into clearing.

Q. Is it worth ringing up the universities to ask if they'll let you in? Or is it a case they've already seen your grades and that's it you're in clearing?

- You now have until 17:00 to ring up any university you like for the course you want to take. Universities will give you a place but it's up to you which course you choose and where.

Q. 20 universities give you a place... They'll also be giving places to other students knowing that not everyone will take that place. Therefore, I think... Just because a university has offered you a place doesn't mean it's secure even if you add it onto track at 17:00...? Let's say your slow to add your place onto track, does that mean it'll be taken?

- Let's say you were 1 UMS off a grade B.

Q. Should you ring up your insurance? What is the procedure with your college?

Q. When do you find out that a university has accepted you in clearing?

Q. When do you apply for accommodation in clearing?

ALSO!

Q. How can you prepare for clearing? No universities publish the grades now... So how can you prepare?

Any advice would be highly appreciated it. Thanks.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by >Username<)
I've read the TSR guide and the UCAS guide... I just want to confirm some things and I have some questions...

Q. Is it worth ringing up the universities to ask if they'll let you in? Or is it a case they've already seen your grades and that's it you're in clearing?

- You now have until 17:00 to ring up any university you like for the course you want to take. Universities will give you a place but it's up to you which course you choose and where.

Q. 20 universities give you a place... They'll also be giving places to other students knowing that not everyone will take that place. Therefore, I think... Just because a university has offered you a place doesn't mean it's secure even if you add it onto track at 17:00...? Let's say your slow to add your place onto track, does that mean it'll be taken?

ALSO!

Q. How can you prepare for clearing? No universities publish the grades now... So how can you prepare?

Forgive this - it's a couple of copy and pastes from other threads but should answer most of your questions.

First on who to ring when - this flowchart explains what to do once you have your results depending on what Track says:
results day flowchart

If you're 1 UMS off your offer then unless you're getting a priority remark then there is no point ringing your universities. Without a remark your grade wont change. Universities only reject people if they cannot fit them in OR if they think their grades aren't good enough to cope with the course.

On your questions about ringing clearing universities etc:

quick guide to Clearing
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Guide_to_Clearing for more info

PERSONALLY I would recommend BUYING the telegraph over using the online listings.

The online listing will only show you what you search for, you're more likely to stumble across something similar if you browse the paper version.

If you've bought the paper:
- Find your subject areas/key words (there may be more than one eg you might find some courses listed in Biology that aren't listed in Life Sciences and vice versa - universities can only link a course to 3/4 key words so a course might show up in all sorts of odd places).

- It's also worth having a decent idea about the course codes usually used for your subjects so you can scan through quickly and spot the courses you want (eg if you want to do Law LLB then under the Law topic you will find universities offering M100, M101, M110 etc (which are all LLB type courses) as well as universities offering M900 or L900 (usually used for criminology))

- Note down the universities and course codes that you're interested in

- get online and check out the websites for those universities - see if they mention the grades they want, find out a bit more about the course (eg does it have a compulsory year abroad or something that would put you off altogether).

- also double check that the course is still listed as having vacancies on the uni website or on UCAS - the telegraph is easiest to browse but also not up to date. Some courses will be listed there but removed from clearing before results day.

- If you've got the grades and the course is still open and you fancy the uni RING THEIR HOTLINE

They'll ask questions, if you match what they're after they might make you a verbal offer.

Be sure to ask
a) how long the offer is valid for
b) what accommodation is available
c) if they're running any open days over the weekend for you to visit (and whether they can hold your offer til after then)

Repeat the ringing around until you're fed up of speaking. Collect a list of unis that have made you offers - DO NOT STOP AT THE FIRST OFFER.

At 5pm ish when track goes fully functional if you've got an offer you want to take up then add it on Track.

As long as you apply within the deadlines given then your uni should confirm this place within 24 hours (usually quicker) and it will show as your new Firm Unconditional place on Track.

Then you just need to sort out accommodation and let student finance know about the new university/course

And finally http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2766660 includes details of universities with vacancies already public. The rest will either come in early and get posted on that thread or will be released at midnight on the morning of the 14th
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by >Username<)

ALSO!

If you've been rejected by a university, then there's no point ringing them up. They've already made the decision, and they aren't going to change their mind just because you called them. It's also a waste of time that could be spent phoning other unis in clearing. This applies to both your firm and your insurance.

Universities will give you a deadline to accept a clearing place. If you miss that deadline, the place could be offered to someone else. However, these deadlines are usually reasonable, if tight- 24 hours is usual. If they've made an offer of a place, this is binding. Usually, the offer of a place will be confirmed in writing via email.

If you are one UMS off a grade in any subject, it's probably worth paying for a priority remark. This is the one circumstance where you should ring a university even if you've been rejected. If you inform them of the remark, they will reinstate your conditional place.

Accommodation options will vary from uni to uni. Some won't offer accommodation to clearing applicants and some will. Ask the uni when you phone them. If they don't offer halls, they may help you find space in a private house.

One of the things worth doing to prepare for clearing is to re-read your application. You might be asked questions about it, so it's good to have everything fresh in your mind. Also, dig out things like GCSE results, which you could be asked about.

Hope this helps a bit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (135)
55.79%
No they should not (79)
32.64%
Abstain (28)
11.57%

Watched Threads