JayJay-C19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Is there anyway of doing Veterinary Medicine or Medicine with just A-Level Biology? Foundation degree or otherwise.

Asking for a friend. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
JayJay-C19
Rep:
?
*bump*
suzywithaZY
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not medicine. You have to have Chemistry. I'm not entirely sure for vet med though.
reemaisthinking
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pretty sure you need chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
g.k.galloway
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For medicine you'll definitely need chemistry
I don't know about vet med though

Posted from TSR Mobile
JayJay-C19
Rep:
?
You don't need chemistry for some Universities (for Medicine).
lamyers1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Foundation degree maybe. But there are a lot of other conditions to meet.

You'll limit your options hugely with just biology as most require chemistry. Might be worth chemistry AS too.
JayJay-C19
Rep:
?
(Original post by lamyers1)
Foundation degree maybe. But there are a lot of other conditions to meet.

You'll limit your options hugely with just biology as most require chemistry. Might be worth chemistry AS too.
This is what I said to them too
suzywithaZY
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JayJay-C19)
You don't need chemistry for some Universities (for Medicine).
Name one then. I'm pretty sure ALL unis need Chemistry for medicine but for some you don't need Biology. I stand to be corrected but that's what I've seen and been told.
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thechemistress)
Name one then. I'm pretty sure ALL unis need Chemistry for medicine but for some you don't need Biology. I stand to be corrected but that's what I've seen and been told.
I know UEA ask for biology and either chemistry/physics but obviously that's only one place

Posted from TSR Mobile
JayJay-C19
Rep:
?
Newcastle
suzywithaZY
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Changing Skies)
I know UEA ask for biology and either chemistry/physics but obviously that's only one place

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow, really? OP's friend has a chance then. I've always been told you have to have Chemistry AS for medicine; apparently that was incorrect That being said, all the ones I've looked at (Southampton, Bristol, Sheffield, Kings, Imperial, Oxbridge, St. Andrew's etc.) all want Chemistry.
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wow, really? OP's friend has a chance then. I've always been told you have to have Chemistry AS for medicine; apparently that was incorrect That being said, all the ones I've looked at (Southampton, Bristol, Sheffield, Kings, Imperial, Oxbridge, St. Andrew's etc.) all want Chemistry.
Haha possibly! I think that's said as pretty much everywhere else does and, with medicine, it's competitive enough without limiting your choices to one or two medical schools, but yeah, it isn't actually impossible exactly

Posted from TSR Mobile
suzywithaZY
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Newcastle
Nope. Newcastle wants Chemistry

'AAA including Chemistry and/or Biology at A or AS level and excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking.'
lamyers1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Most require chemistry but some universities don't. They generally want at least 2 sciences.
However, there is a lot of chemistry (and biology ofc) in medicine, so it may put you at a disadvantage not taking it.
suzywithaZY
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lamyers1)
Most require chemistry but some universities don't. They generally want at least 2 sciences.
However, there is a lot of chemistry (and biology ofc) in medicine, so it may put you at a disadvantage not taking it.
So far I've only been told of one that doesn't require Chemistry- University of East Anglia so yeah, OP's friend would be at a disadvantage. In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to go for medicine if you're not going to do Chemistry.
JayJay-C19
Rep:
?
Nope. Newcastle wants Chemistry

'AAA including Chemistry and/or Biology at A or AS level and excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking.'
Yeah? And/OR... Meaning Chemistry or Biology... Durham also offers the same. If you dont take one of them it has to be made up for with GCSE Science Grades.
JayJay-C19
Rep:
?
So far I've only been told of one that doesn't require Chemistry- University of East Anglia so yeah, OP's friend would be at a disadvantage. In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to go for medicine if you're not going to do Chemistry.
Newcastle and Durham also don't, I asked them. Foundation anyway.

I agree that you should do chemistry.
suzywithaZY
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah? And/OR... Meaning Chemistry or Biology... Durham also offers the same. If you dont take one of them it has to be made up for with GCSE Science Grades.
Either way, it doesn't make sense to go for medicine without Chemistry. Biology and Chemistry are very closely linked, there's going to be some things in medical school that require at least a bit of AS Chemistry knowledge (this is what I've been told by my friend's sister who does medicine). Medicine is competitive enough already, why would you put yourself at a deliberate disadvantage? Most others applying will have chemistry.
JayJay-C19
Rep:
?
Either way, it doesn't make sense to go for medicine without Chemistry. Biology and Chemistry are very closely linked, there's going to be some things in medical school that require at least a bit of AS Chemistry knowledge (this is what I've been told by my friend's sister who does medicine). Medicine is competitive enough already, why would you put yourself at a deliberate disadvantage? Most others applying will have chemistry.
I know. I don't disagree, however, not everyone could handle and get an A or whatnot, in Chemistry at A-Level. I know I certainly wouldn't do it because it'd be silly and probably the only one with the potential to present me with a failing/low grade. However, that would mean I wouldn't do Medicine because I'd think it wouldn't be my thing if I couldn't handle Chemistry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (44)
13.88%
Uncertainty around my education (53)
16.72%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (31)
9.78%
Isolating with family (20)
6.31%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (13)
4.1%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (24)
7.57%
Loneliness (30)
9.46%
Financial worries (12)
3.79%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (34)
10.73%
Exposure to negative news/social media (26)
8.2%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (30)
9.46%

Watched Threads