The Student Room Group

What on earth do I do!? I start tomorrow

Hi, I want to firstly apologise for this lengthy post . But I would really appreciate some kind of advice or some thoughts on my situation .

So 9 months ago i started a management scheme for a large company. It started well and I had fun and was really excited about my future and development with the company. M, But for the last 4 months or son I have been very unhappy and felt like I didn't have a sense off belonging in the company as I didn't have an official role and therefore any official responsibilities or accountabilities . I was practically used as spare labour the majority of the time and generally felt unsupported by my superiors .

If I needed something , I would often have to pester and pester until I got it, and often I was forgotten and could tell that I was being an inconvienence.

After consideration I asked to step down from my current role as I didn't feel ready and also to move stores which both my official manager and HR manager were supportive of and arranged for me very quickly...

I start my new role tomorrow... And after a lot of consideration, hair pulling, doubt, and emotions , I know that this company isn't for me in the long term . If I quit tomorrow I'll have no job, yet I'll be able to survive without for a while.

But I have this massive sense of guilt as this has been arranged for me and I know that my new base are looking forward to have me on board. I also hate the fact I'm giving up before I've started my new role , but I know that the department isn't really where I want to be despite what I said when I first asked to stepped down :/ ( I did say I was interested in other department as well as this one)

I changed my mind basically and it was too late to back out .
I'm now left with the question of How the hell do I go about dealing with this situation!?! I'm expected in my new place tomorrow afternoon yet can't speak to anyone until then either as I don't know anyone else. And I won't have officially left the company through the correct process . I could potentially hinder my chance of a good reference. . I've wasted a lot of peoples time and effort. But I can't just start tomorrow and hand in my notice ..

I can honestly and confidently say I've never been so miserable in my life since I started this new job. I wake up dreading going to work, I skip breaks and lunch so I can go home early, I don't enjoy my days off because I stress about going back to work the next day. It's ridiculous that I feel this way, it's just a job! But I can't go on feeling this , all my relationships are breaking down and I'm not the once happy outgoing person I was before this job

What on earth do I do!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BANS2012
Hi, I want to apologise for this lengthy post . But I would really appreciate some kind of advice on my situation

So 9 months ago i started a management scheme for a large company. It started well, but then for the last 4 months I have been very unhappy and felt like I didn't have a sense off belonging in the company as I didn't have an official role and therefore any official responsibilities or accountability. I was practically used as spare labour the majority of the time and generally felt unsupported by my superiors .

If I needed something , I would often have to pester and pester until I got it, and often I was forgotten and could tell that I was being an inconvienence.

After consideration I asked to step down from my current role as I didn't feel ready and to move stores which both my official manager and HR manager were supportive of and arranged for me very quickly...

I start my new role tomorrow... And after a lot of consideration, hair pulling, doubt, and emotions , I know that this company isn't for me in the long term . If I quit tomorrow I'll have no job, yet I'll be able to survive without for a while.

But I have this massive sense of guilt as this has been arranged for me and I know that my new base are looking forward to have me on board. I also hate the fact I'm giving up before I've started my new role , but I know that the department isn't really where I want to be despite what I said when I first asked to stepped down :/ ( I did say I was interested in other department as well as this one)

I changed my mind basically and it was too late to back out .
I'm now left with the question of How the hell do I go about dealing with this situation!?! I'm expected in my new place tomorrow afternoon yet can't speak to anyone until then either as I don't know anyone else. And I won't have officially left the company through the correct process . I could potentially hinder my chance of a good reference. . I've wasted a lot of peoples time and effort. But I can't just start tomorrow and hand in my notice ..

I can honestly and confidently say I've never been so miserable in my life since I started this new job. I wake up dreading going to work, I skip breaks and lunch so I can go home early, I don't enjoy my days off because I stress about going back to work the next day. It's ridiculous that I feel this way, it's just a job! But I can't go on feeling this , all my relationships are breaking down and I'm not the once happy outgoing person I was before this job

What on earth do I do!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is much easier to get a job when in employment already so I would recommend staying at least long enough to find alternative employment if that is what you want.
Copy and paste the above into an email to the HR person who had been helping you. Ask for a meeting to discuss what you should do.
Reply 3
Original post by 3458349058349053
It is much easier to get a job when in employment already so I would recommend staying at least long enough to find alternative employment if that is what you want.

Right now, I would like to take some time out from work for a few weeks so discover what I really want to do. I've had so many jobs before And took them all without much consideration

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Crumpet1
Copy and paste the above into an email to the HR person who had been helping you. Ask for a meeting to discuss what you should do.

It's a good idea, but I'm expected to start tomorrow Afternoon. I could certainly phone my old store to see of my HR manager is around , but if not then what:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a good idea, but I'm expected to start tomorrow Afternoon. I could certainly phone my old store to see of my HR manager is around , but if not then what:/

Posted from TSR Mobile

MTFU and turn up and do the new job until you've made adult plans to sort yourself out. There's no easy answer. This is the real, adult world where poor decisions have consequences and you can't just drop a job and hope that it will all be clean and easy. If you don't go through the formal processes, which will require you to talk to people, and will take time, and you need to work during the process, then you will not get a reference - that's how life works.
Right now, I would like to take some time out from work for a few weeks so discover what I really want to do. I've had so many jobs before And took them all without much consideration

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I'm afraid that is not how the world works. Also the economy while improving a little is still an "employer's market". It is not a market that I would be that keen to quit a job in. There is no guarantee of walking into another job.

I get the fact that you are stuck in a rubbish job. But you need to respond in a way that isn't going to damage your career long term.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending