The Student Room Group

"Long distance" relationship during Uni?

My GF and I have been together for almost 5 months now, and we really do love each other.

I'll be starting Uni this year (she's in her 3 year) - don't ask me why, it's a log story.

It's likely I got to west England, so it's not too far from her in London.

We've agreed that we could see each other every couple of weeks for the weekend and then obviously spend Christmas, New year and Easter together, as well as the summer.

Anyone been in a relationship during Uni, anyone care give us some advice?
A lot of people seem to think long-distance relationships are impossible to maintain at university, but I've been with my boyfriend for 2 years now, and for the majority of that time we were in two different unis (him at Reading, me in Nottingham then London). It does hurt to be apart from each other for weeks at a time but it makes the times when you do see each other that much more amazing. If you genuinely love and trust each other, there really shouldn't be a problem. From what I've seen and heard about other long-distance relationships at uni, the main problem is trust, and the fear that since you're so far apart, you don't know what your partner might be getting up to or who they're communicating with, or whether they might be getting unsettlingly close to anyone. But in my case, my boyfriend and I completely trust each other, because 1) we would never cheat on each other, and 2) we love each other and our relationship is just growing stronger with every month that passes. So as long as your relationship is built on solid foundations and you both have trust and integrity, it shouldn't be a problem, and you'll love the times when you do see each other; my boyfriend and I could only really meet up for a weekend every 3 or 4 weeks, and those times were great, but we did also Skype in between meeting up so we could talk face-to-face. Good luck with everything and hope you enjoy uni! :smile:
Were you non long distance before uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stickman
Were you non long distance before uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, both our families live in London.

She's also studying abroad in the next coming years, so that'll be increasing the distance between us :frown:
Original post by Made in Tyrone
Yeah, both our families live in London.

She's also studying abroad in the next coming years, so that'll be increasing the distance between us :frown:

It's never easy. It just boils down to how trustworthy both of you are. But it does fail more often than not, and whatever arguments you do have, it comes down to the distance.

As you grow older people change, your opinions might change, hers might change. Sometimes you can't force the issue. Just mentally prepare yourself that there are other girls out there and if all goes well with you and your gf, excellent, but if not, don't worry.
Going from non-distance to long-distance is a hard transition but if you manage to commit and try to see each other as often as possible; both when spending time together and via other means (Skype Video Chat for example) you should make it work! - Good luck. :biggrin: If you got any more questions, drop me a PM.
(edited 9 years ago)
My boyfriend and I got together in 2011, we've been together for almost 3 years now and we both started uni last September so we've managed an academic year of long distance so far (I'm in Leeds, he's in Preston). We did miss each other a hell of a lot, and there were arguments about it occasionally, but, in my opinion, I think it all boils down to if you really want to be together. If you love each other and want to maintain a relationship with each other, you'll find a way to make it work. Trust is also a massive part of making LDRs work as is communication. Honestly, talk on Facebook, text each other, have phone calls, Skype, even send a letter every know and then if that's your thing. Just keep talking. It's so easy to lose touch when you're both busy and tired and trying to battle through exams and assignments but, for me, just hearing his voice and listening to something as mundane as what he was having for dinner made things a lot better.

Quick Reply

Latest