Several questions about results day! Please help! >_<' Watch

monica95
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I'm making this thread just because I have so many questions and feel like it will get lost in the official thread. I did ask SOME of the questions in the official thread but felt like more people would view them here.

I'd be really really grateful if someone took the time to help answer them please! I'm so stressed right now :/

1) Two of my friends were saying that even if you were rejected by your firm because you didn't get the grades, that you could still apply to the same course at the same uni in clearing? But I don't understand this because you'd still have got lower grades than you need and the entry requirements don't lower in clearing?

2) How long does a priority remark take?

3) Are you still able to get verbal offers in clearing while waiting for a priority remark since you need to tell them your grades, and your grades may change?

4) I'm also wondering whether it's worth getting a priority remark in order to try get into your firm (if you were a few UMS off). Say if I got a B and they needed an A so I asked my firm to hold my place while I waited for the priority remark...but then, that might take a week which would mean that although I could phone up unis and get offers in clearing, those clearing offers would only stand for 2-3 days and I would only be able to accept them if my firm had definitely released me. I.e. If I did choose to get a priority remark and ask them to hold my place, I wouldn't able to accept any clearing offers in that time, meaning that a lot of vancancies and courses might not be available to me because I'd be waiting longer. And then if my priority remark came back and they were still not high enough for the A, then I'd also lose my firm's place that they held for me! Is all of this right? Because that seems like a very risky move so I'm not sure what to do.

5) Similarly, is it worth it to be asked to be released from your insurance as that can take up to 10 days I've heard, which means that again, a lot of clearing vacancies will be already taken so you'll have less choice.

6) How long do the actual clearing phone calls take? And how long is the 'interview' part when you're being asked why you want to do the course? I'm not sure how long to blabber on for if they'd asked me that Plus I totally suck at interviews.

7) Last question sorry! I've seen 2 seperate contradicting things. I originally heard that if you want to go to your insurance although you got your firm, you could just asked to be released from your firm. But recently I've heard that if you get released from your firm you won't just automatically get your insurance-you've got to be released from your firm but then you'll be in clearing, and then you apply to that same course (from the insurance uni) via clearing if there are vacancies available like any other clearing applicant. Which one's true?

I'm sorry for this huge amount of questions! But even answering just 1 or 2 of them would be incredibly helpful to me and I'd be so grateful. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and GOOD LUCK for results day! x
MathsNerd1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by monica95)
Hi, I'm making this thread just because I have so many questions and feel like it will get lost in the official thread. I did ask SOME of the questions in the official thread but felt like more people would view them here.

I'd be really really grateful if someone took the time to help answer them please! I'm so stressed right now :/

1) Two of my friends were saying that even if you were rejected by your firm because you didn't get the grades, that you could still apply to the same course at the same uni in clearing? But I don't understand this because you'd still have got lower grades than you need and the entry requirements don't lower in clearing?

3) Are you still able to get verbal offers in clearing while waiting for a priority remark since you need to tell them your grades, and your grades may change?

4) I'm also wondering whether it's worth getting a priority remark in order to try get into your firm (if you were a few UMS off). Say if I got a B and they needed an A so I asked my firm to hold my place while I waited for the priority remark...but then, that might take a week which would mean that although I could phone up unis and get offers in clearing, those clearing offers would only stand for 2-3 days and I would only be able to accept them if my firm had definitely released me. I.e. If I did choose to get a priority remark and ask them to hold my place, I wouldn't able to accept any clearing offers in that time, meaning that a lot of vancancies and courses might not be available to me because I'd be waiting longer. And then if my priority remark came back and they were still not high enough for the A, then I'd also lose my firm's place that they held for me! Is all of this right? Because that seems like a very risky move so I'm not sure what to do.

5) Similarly, is it worth it to be asked to be released from your insurance as that can take up to 10 days I've heard, which means that again, a lot of clearing vacancies will be already taken so you'll have less choice.

6) How long do the actual clearing phone calls take? And how long is the 'interview' part when you're being asked why you want to do the course? I'm not sure how long to blabber on for if they'd asked me that Plus I totally suck at interviews.

7) Last question sorry! I've seen 2 seperate contradicting things. I originally heard that if you want to go to your insurance although you got your firm, you could just asked to be released from your firm. But recently I've heard that if you get released from your firm you won't just automatically get your insurance-you've got to be released from your firm but then you'll be in clearing, and then you apply to that same course (from the insurance uni) via clearing if there are vacancies available like any other clearing applicant. Which one's true?

I'm sorry for this huge amount of questions! But even answering just 1 or 2 of them would be incredibly helpful to me and I'd be so grateful. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and GOOD LUCK for results day! x
Moved this into the UCAS forum to help you gain answers
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by monica95)

1. No point at all. If it says unsuccessful, then they have made their decision.
  2. It's variable, I'm afraid. Usually within a week, but they don't guarantee anything.
  3. Yes. Work on the assumption that nothing will change, because that's the likely outcome, but tell them it's happening.
  4. To be honest, it's a decision only you can make. The university should honour your place if it goes up, but it's a very fuzzy area.
  5. Being released can take time, but not as long as that. Usually within 24 hours.
  6. They are all very different. The first response is simply a filter to get you passed onto someone else who knows. Don't worry! They are used to people being in a state!
  7. If you are accepted by your firm, your insurance disappears so you have to go into clearing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (163)
59.06%
No I haven't decided yet (66)
23.91%
Yes but I might change my mind (47)
17.03%

Watched Threads