Oxbridge vs Ivy's for Australian Student

Watch
succeed101
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Currently in Grade 10 and deciding whether I should focus on getting into Oxbridge or an accredited American university. I want to become a diplomat and major in Economics and International Relations or Political Science.
Pros and Cons of US Unis
Financially affordable
Will need to study for SAT/ACT, therefore will effect my ATAR score, and neglect me of Oxbridge and UMelbourne possibly USydney. (Although I could study for SAT in Summer break and take the test in January).
Will need to focus heavily on extra-curriculars.
More difficult to get into, though with my international achievements and successful business, possible.
If I don't get in, will have to study at UWA.
Ivies accept 8/100 Australians who apply – majority recruited for crew.
Looks of additional courses and more fun atmosphere.

Pros and Cons of Oxbridge
Will enable me to fully focus on getting a high WACE.
Won't need to focus on extra-curriculars too much.
Financially impossible, unless scholarships are available for undergrad.
Easier to get into for a AUS student.
Accepts 25 students / 100 Australians who apply.
Has PPE (philosophy, politics and economics)

Here are some stats of my current achievements (grades already straight A's, year 8 & 9 were about 5-6/8 As) – please note I have 1.5 – 2 years left and my achievements will increase.
Yale Young Global Scholars Program (Politics, Economics and Law) – Very difficult to get accepted into.
My First Speech Winner – Parliament of Australia
CPA Business Competition Winner – Flown to Melbourne and gave a presentation.
Gulen Institute Youth Platform 5th place – Flown to USA, attended presentation at the White House, and met with Congressmen.
Global Enterprise Challenge Winner
YMCA Youth Parliament
Wrote a Bill which is getting voted upon next month.
Participated in World Challenge Vietnam
200 hours of community service.
UNICEF Young Ambassador
-The Simpson Prize – Highly prestigious. Traveled to Canberra and was presented with silver plate at Parliament House. -Travelling to Gallipoli next year for the 100th year ceremony.
Caltex Award – Best All Rounder
Citizen Of The Year Award
Won numerous internationally acclaimed human rights essay competitions.
Started a successful website/business. For privacy reasons I cannot disclose the site. Although I can say that it is one year old, and is anticipated to become one of the worlds biggest education sites by 2018. My company has collaborated with universities throughout the world, companies, entrepreneurs ect.... This year we have generated $700,000 in revenue and we have donated $400,000 to charities our sponsors and investors support. And the other $300,000 to further grow the business and of course, pay staff. Company has been feautred in national and international newspapers incl. Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, CNN ect.

I wrote my stats to give you an idea. Please don't focus too much on the stats as I want to know if I should try for US or Oxbridge. One or the other as it will take up a lot of time, and I need to have a direction and goal. Additionally, my PSAT score was 2340, so I estimated my SAT to be around there. Thanks everyone.
geodawson
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So you're 15 and have a company that turns over $700,000...
Noble.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
90% of what you've written Oxbridge aren't going to care about. Also, in terms of Australians getting into Oxford the success rate is ~15% not 25% looking at the last few years.
succeed101
Rep:
?
(Original post by geodawson)
So you're 15 and have a company that turns over $700,000...
Yeah, I'm one of the co-founders and ceo of my company. I collaborated with others I met on online courses. They are older than me, though I came up with the idea.
succeed101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noble.)
90% of what you've written Oxbridge aren't going to care about. Also, in terms of Australians getting into Oxford the success rate is ~15% not 25% looking at the last few years.
Do you think I should focus more on getting accepted into US universities?
Zefiros
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by succeed101)
Yeah, I'm one of the co-founders and ceo of my company. I collaborated with others I met on online courses. They are older than me, though I came up with the idea.
If you make so much money, why can't you afford Oxbridge?
Sir Fox
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by succeed101)
... and neglect me of Oxbridge and UMelbourne possibly USydney.
UoM and UoS?! It's ANU or nothing my friend
Sir Fox
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Zefiros)
If you make so much money, why can't you afford Oxbridge?
Revenue doesn't equal profit, doesn't equal personal income, doesn't equal available funds.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (41)
14.39%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (92)
32.28%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (36)
12.63%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (24)
8.42%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.96%
I think it's an unfair expectation (72)
25.26%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.05%

Watched Threads